• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Topic Title

• Yes, I buy all sorts of expensive shit on my phone

Votes: 257 57.8%
  • No, big screen = big money

Votes: 188 42.2%

• Total voters

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I saw this on the soon to be banned app TikTok, does it make sense to you or no?

RUxgb29.png

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I've had to make several large purchases via my phone during the work day. Preorders for fast selling products that go up in the mornings, in particular.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Replace laptop with PC and yeah I agree. I gotta have multiple tabs maybe even a calculator or something for a big trip. If it's something basic I'll buy it on my phone. But usually I'm doing big research on electronics or some shit so im constantly searching which is harder on a phone.

Snap decision stuff or fast-going items? Phone sure

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
Yeah. The first one was a $1.5K drone and accessories kit that I purchased in the middle of the night and didn't realize until the morning when I saw the confirmation email and panically canceled it.

- The $2k Macbook Pro I'm typing this on.
- $400 PS5
- $650 Disneyland Magic Key Pass
- And several other ~$500 purchases

Totally get the odd feeling when doing so, like the purchase ain't even real.

Oct 29, 2017
I want to explore the case in which investments feel exempt from this phenomenon. Even when you are spending considerably more. Maybe that reveals something about your brain treating investing more like gambling than purchasing goods.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of times apple pay makes purchasing so much easier and better on my phone

I make plenty of big purchases on it

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
If plane tickets and hotel reservations count then yes, I do. I don't have Delta and JetBlue apps for nothing lol

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
I don't tend to make complicated purchases on my phone - purchases that perhaps require comparisons or extra information - but complicated isn't always the same as expensive.

Mar 21, 2018
No? What an absurd demarcation. I have no issues using my phone for purchases in the several thousands and am not sure why I would, especially when it's so easy to open my banking app to check on financials.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I literally don't use any other device for the internet.

Apple Pay makes it a better experience on my phone anyway because my card details are just there.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
It can sound a bit silly, but there was definitely a time where I preferred buying plane tickets on my computer.
Doing it on my phone just felt WRONG lol

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I do most of my purchasing on my phone because between my vpn and ad blockers shopping barely works on my laptop lol

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Of course I buy plane tickets on the phone.

I also do all my banking and stuff on my phone.

I did do my taxes on the computer, so I guess that's the line for me. Haha.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
purchased my last house using a phone. I pretty much use everything on my phone now. I don't use apps for purchases just mobile websites because I use those cash back sites and they don't work with apps usually

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much only use my phone for online purchases just due to the convenience of apps.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I bought plane tickets on my phone like two weeks ago.

I bought my current phone while on a walk around the block using my previous phone.

I can't relate to this at all. The only thing I've used my PC instead of my phone for recently aside from games/entertainment is to do my taxes. And that was kinda just for the convenience of the desk to sort the paperwork on.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have anything against doing them on my phone necessarily, but I'm just generally a PC over phone person if I have the option. If I'm doing a bunch of research with multiple browser tabs or scrutinizing product images or something, I'd prefer the bigger screen and a real keyboard. If it's just a big transaction and all that kind of pre-purchase research is done or unnecessary, then whatever.

Last edited:

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I'll buy food on my phone. I'll buy random Amazon crap on my phone. But large purchases? Yeah, typically I do that on a computer. But then I also browse social media on the computer (more than my phone), so I'm a bit of an outlier.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
Yes, I only turn my MacBook on when I'm recording music. Everything else is done on the old phone or iPad. Any sort of investing or trading is done on the phone as well.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I use my desktop pc for basically ANY online purchase, let alone just important ones. I don't really use my phone for much at all, aside from texting, actual phone calls, Spotify, and GPS.

What's the difference between using a phone or a computer to buy stuff?

For me, it's a few things:

1. My eyes aren't what they used to be, even with glasses on. Much easier to use a pc with a monitor than to have to squint at my phone.

2. It's just a lot easier for me to navigate through websites, and have multiple tabs open to compare products (if necessary), on a desktop.

3. It is simply easier for me to do this stuff with a mouse and keyboard than a touch screen. Hell, even making edits to posts on this website is a hassle on a phone; wouldn't want to miss something important and have to do the corrections on a phone.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I'll buy expensive shit on my phone if it's something that doesn't have many options to choose from, but otherwise I prefer using my PC since I'll probably have a few tabs open for price comparisons/reviews and want more screen space

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
My phone always unless it's something that requires me to go back and forth through several tabs/windows to properly plan, then it's to the table with the laptop.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
My biggest purchases are typically plane tickets for international trips and I don't make them on my phone because navigating the apps and filling out forms is a pain in the ass, otherwise I would. And I would absolutely buy a fuckin couch on my phone, like what is he talking about.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
What's the difference between using a phone or a computer to buy stuff?
Apps and mobile sites like to obfuscate shit to the point of unusability.

For example, I was trying to go Amazon returns yesterday on PC parts, and trying to return it from my phone kept trying to set me up to creating an individual return for each item whereas once I got home to my computer, I could create a lump return order with a single QR code for the UPS people to scan.

Same stuff comes into play when making purchases. Not to mention all of the device metadata they flag in order to change prices, oftentimes making it more expensive.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
100% of the time.

Biggest I'll do on my phone is maybe order food. Everything else happens on the laptop.