TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Classic E3 yes, but it really wasn't very good for many years near its end.

Naicore

Aug 30, 2021
Old E3 was good. Having one week of compact announcements, sneak peeks and interviews.

You knew that Playstation, Xbox and Nintendo had their shows during this week. And then in between shows were all the extended previews and interviews with studio people, plus the showfloor tours.
Always watched the old Gametrailers site when it was E3 week.

Now it's all just a jumbled mess where we don't know if or when a showcase will drop.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but specifically the Giant Bomb night shows. I know they did something last year but it's just not the same at all

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Not really but I do miss the old school GB E3 couch. Some of the best insight and banter straight from the horses mouth.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Yeah I kinda do. It was so fun to have that supercharged week full of announcements of all kinds when it was at it's prime with all the live pressers.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Of course. It was super hype to have all the major companies line up their big announcements, and to have a fun week of nonstop trailers and updates, along with the occasional surprise shadow drop of a game or demo.

Who can forget E3 2015, and all the hype surrounding FF7 Remake, Last Guardian, Shenmue 3, Nier, Dark Souls 3 etc?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I miss Summer CES in Chicago. I went to those.

5NAhe7q.jpeg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=-j1f9SVEDw8

Last edited:

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Nah, it was a huge waste of cash.
Publishers can just announce their games via "directs" and they'll reach a much broader audience for much less money.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. A lot.
Felt like second Christmas. I was always super excited and I loved the excitement of the entire community.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Summer Games Fest is not the same at all and feels way too haphazard and disjointed.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
no not really. sure there was the hype of having a gaming event where everything was dumped in basically 3 days. that spectacle was fun. i'm also content with the way they do it now. honestly the only thing i miss is the giant bomb at nite streams where everybody who's anybody was there.

Dam

Sep 6, 2018
I miss it. I'm not following lower tier publisher directs like I did press shows during E3 week, and I'm not watching shows at all for the platform I didn't invest in this generation.
I also miss when I used to gather up predictions from my friends, tallying up the spreadsheet throughout the shows, and doling out awards like it was a contest. I made a lot of fun out of it.

ChocoBuddy

Banned
Apr 9, 2024
It was very useful as a consolidated place to see all of the gaming stuff. It was a fun event to even watch at home.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. Kinda gotta used to not having it. Plus I prefer have the multiple smaller shows throughout the year.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
It was just waaaaaay more exciting and convenient for us customers/gaming fans.

We got everything we wanted in just one week, and the old E3 conference's kind of formula was sooo much better than Geoff's unwatchable trash events format we get today, and those boring, unpersonal digital direct style shows that get sprinkled during all summer.

Things just got worse.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
Absolutely. Those press conferences were glorious. I loved going there in person despite the huge lines.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I do miss E3, but I think it's more the fact everything happened at the one time. This spaced out, sporadic, approach can be annoying.

I appreciate it's difficult to get platform holders/publishers to agree to a one week window now, but it would be great if it happened again.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I miss it terribly. I used to take a few days off from work each E3 just to watch all the reveals and coverage from all my favorite sources. I'd count down the days until it began each Spring.

Sadly, nothing good lasts forever.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Not really.

Those who got the most out of e3 were the people who were there, taking meetings and appointments and determining the next steps of the industry behind the scenes.

Consumers get every piece if e3 they were allowed though directs and the keilieghs. It's argue that the steam indie events, wholesome games fest and summer games fest are more important for a consumer than e3 ever was.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it was line con everytime I went. The free swag was nice, but it was always packed every year.

Robotoboy

Banned
Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Yes, and no.

I liked older E3. The one where not every single project had a trailer, and they were all plastered online for everyone to see. I like mystery, and if I had to say I miss anything it's mystery. Gaming has ZERO mystery these days. I know we could avoid trailers, and all that - but like we used to have games that would get like one mysterious screenshot, or trailer with almost zero information and we'd know next to nothing about it.

The only two games that have fit that bill for me lately are Dragon Quest III remake, and Dragon Quest XII. I am excited to see how they end up (ironically Dragon Quest XI also had a pretty old school marketing strat when it was being made and came out.)

So I mostly just miss when publishers and devs held their cards closer to their chests. These days I feel like I already have a large forecast and expectation about what's going to come out and what I am actually going to play. There's no risk, and I'm generally able to parse what a game will be like without even really playing it... which is really weird.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
As a consumer and enthusiast? Absolutely.

Genuinely made gaming special, the sarcastic remarks, the hype trains, the laugh out loud memes, the special announcements, getting the snacks in and settling down to watch a conference followed by another.

I could careless about the real life event but gaming lost a lil something special without it.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
I think people don't quite remember how long and boring it was.
Lots of PR speak and shit.

Nostalgia for the occasional fun parts and memes, maybe, but that's it. Also with how fast leaks are these days, there is little point

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I liked the concept of it, yes. I mostly liked how it was all basically done in one week.

Now post-E3, there's too much hype over scraps. And it's spread too far from May to August.

Zim

Senior Animator at Airship Syndicate
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Austin, TX
Before being in the industry, ABSOLUTELY!
Getting games that were held together with shoe strings and bubblegum ready for e3 demos was a nightmare. Doing that over the course of 16 years, it can stay dead.
F that noise.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
First E3 I attended was in 1996. Kinda blew my mind. I'd go on to work at it on/off up through 2015, and I think I only went one more time after that and that last one was pretty sad in terms of how small/empty some of the halls felt. Peak was late-90s to mid-00s for me, although there were certainly *moments* later that will forever be burned in my brain, like Nintendo's BOTW showing. Never seen anything like that before/since!

I remember driving to/from the LACC twice in one day and dealing with the parking there to watch the MGS2 trailer so many times. 100% worth it. LOL