• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
OK Era, time to show your musical ability. Feel free to self-promote, post clips and videos of yourself/talent in action.

Skin flute doesn't count.:p

I'll start- I play guitar and harmonica. I've been doing local blues jams for almost 30yrs.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I've been in and out of learning piano. I bought a really awesome early 90's electric keyboard that still sounds amazing to my ears. New enough to have realistic(ish) sounding instruments, but still old enough to have a 'retro' sound and feel to it.

That said, I'm still pretty early on.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I played the trumpet in middle school (not by choice) and tried to pick up guitar in high school. Neither experiment was anywhere close to successful. Success was the opposite.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up playing violin. Tried percussion stuff for band in middle school. Got a drum set in high school and still dabble in that occasionally. I've been playing guitar since high school (~15 years). Still play every day, but just as a hobby. I'll be playing for my sister's wedding next month, which will be interesting. It'll be my first public performance outside of those done for classes/lessons back when I was in school.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to play the euphonium. I still have all my sheet music but haven't played in a long time.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Guitar, drums, piano and make electronic music too, sometime orchestral compositions too but I've not really got any VST's that are good enough to achieve what I'd really be happy with, need East West Quantum Leap or something I guess. I don't actually upload or play in any bands or anything anymore though so can't self promote. I'm just in it for the fun now.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I main bass, but can play some guitar, and noodle a bit on keys when I need to. No clips anywhere. All my recorded work was pre YT and Soundcloud.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
It's just a hobby and I suck pretty hard, but I play koto as part of a local group near Tokyo. Usually the fact a foreign guy is up on stage is enough to entertain people so they don't pay much attention to all the mistakes I'm making

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
I play guitar, piano and drums decently. I practice guitar every day. Been playing for like 6 years now.

Absolutely love playing music. I have a jam night once a week with some musician friends. Easily my favorite night of the week. I'm definitely not anywhere near as good as I want to be though. I'm hoping one day I'll be a master of guitar skillz!!

Here's a recent vid of me playing some riffs from Eugene by Sufjan Stevens

https://instagram.com/p/Bej2b6JH5Bw/

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't practice anymore, but I played the trumpet. Middle and high school, plus when I was in the military.

I still have all my music and trumpet, so I might get back into it one day because I did enjoy it.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Used to play the trumpet, started learning in elementary school, played in band concerts in middle school, and played in my high school's marching band. I feel like I've gotten my fill after 4 years of marching band, it was a fun hobby but I mainly used it as a way to relieve stress from school.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I took piano lessons from 1st grade to highschool. Didn't love it so I wasn't great, but it helped me a ton because I can sightread really well.

Started percussion in 5th grade. Started steel drums in 7th. Ended up getting a music performance degree even. So I'm proficient at least in Marimba, Timpani, Snare, Drumset, all of the auxilliary stuff. Nowadays I just play drumset in a long time band with my friends.

Mostly I'm into music production and rapping now, strangely enough. I think my percussion background gives me an interesting flow, and years of college level music theory makes the production way easier probably.

Check it out if you want: www.soundcloud.com/mazehaze330

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017
The Trumpet. Played it through Middle and High school. First trumpet since my first year which included the school Jazz bands. Was an amazing experience.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a handful of guitars, a bass, and an electric piano. I can play the guitar(s) pretty efficiently, and doodle around the piano enough to fool someone into thinking I am more talented than I am.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I play guitar pretty decently and can sorta play piano and drums.
I usually stick to making stuff on my Mac. It's just easier.
I'm more into writing songs than playing instruments.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I play guitar. I can also do some fairly mediocre bass and lap steel guitar. I can find major/minor chords and tinker around with banjo, piano, mandolin, etc but not really great at those.

Musha_Soturi

Oct 26, 2017
I play piano (had lessons and got up to grade 7) and guitar (self taught and not that great) but if you give me 15 mins with any instrument I'll give you a tune

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a middle school band director...so all of them.

But more specifically I did my undergrad on Euphonium. Played Trumpet from 6th grade to 12th grade. Euphonium from 10th grade through college. Now Tuba in a community band I play in.

On a normal school day it's not uncommon for me to jump from Trombone to Alto Sax to Clarinet to Trumpet etc.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I'm a middle school band director...so all of them.

But more specifically I did my undergrad on Euphonium. Played Trumpet from 6th grade to 12th grade. Euphonium from 10th grade through college. Now Tuba in a community band I play in.

On a normal school day it's not uncommon for me to jump from Trombone to Alto Sax to Clarinet to Trumpet etc.
Props on the music ed degree. That shit is so hard.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
I play the bagpipes.

I've done the Edinburgh Tattoo a few times, the tattoo in Basel, and played at the Queens 90th birthday... I'm an ok player.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Drums, guitar, piano, and general percussion stuff.

Drums are my favorite. Borderline out of body experience when playing... nothing else like it.

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017
Is this a hard instrument to learn? Always wanted to...

Not in my experience, at least on an instrumentation level so to speak. The fact that the trumpet only has 3 valves really keeps the amount of combinations to keep in mind relatively small in terms of positioning. The hardest part about trumpet for me was breath and lip control(Like most brass instruments tbh).

Lips are important because the vibration of the brass mouthpieces will absolutely wreck your day if you aren't careful and not used to them, making hitting some of higher notes more burdensome. Though a quick warm up exercise of playing a few notes with the mouth piece itself can really help out here. Breath control because I've had a few instances where I had to hold something like a G or so for as long as 16-20 beats.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to learn to play the Keyboard a few weeks back, I kinda gave up on it as I struggled to hear myself playing Twinkle Twinkle little star, despite my family saying that I was playing it.

I think my deafness might have something to do with that.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I play pretty much everything, and am almost entirely self taught.

I started by playing drums in grade school.

I picked up bass in high school, and guitar in university. I also noodle with hardware synths.

I've played guitar, bass, and drums in band projects over the years. I've also sang lead and backup vocals.

Last project I worked on, we ended up playing to about 1000 people at a party.

My last serious band was inspired by stuff like Wire, HĂĽsker DĂĽ, Sonic Youth, and other classic post punk bands. We were called This Mess, and you can check out our album here:

https://thismessband.bandcamp.com/

My friend and I switched between guitar and bass. For instance, I played bass on What Type, and guitar plus vocals on My Summer at Goldman Sachs. We broke up a couple of years ago... real life got in the way, and I only do this for fun on the side.

PS: I'm looking to start a new project soon, so hit me up if you wanna collaborate ;)

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
This so much.

I wish I had the space for a full kit...
I feel you there, definitely a tough instrument to deal with in apartments and what not. Recently moved to a new city and bought a cheap ass kit from Guitar Center and put Remo Silentstroke heads/Zildjian silenced cymbals on it and it works remarkably well to reduce the noise. If you ever get more space, something to consider! Definitely preferable to a rubber pad electric kit IMO.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
I had piano and trumpet lessons when I was a kid. I've been making music properly for around 15 years, mostly electronic but I use whatever is at hand instrument wise too.

I'm just finishing up a PhD in Music by Composition but it's not traditional, a suite of non-teleological interactive audio pieces built in Max/MSP.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel you there, definitely a tough instrument to deal with in apartments and what not. Recently moved to a new city and bought a cheap ass kit from Guitar Center and put Remo Silentstroke heads/Zildjian silenced cymbals on it and it works remarkably well to reduce the noise. If you ever get more space, something to consider! Definitely preferable to a rubber pad electric kit IMO.

I'm actually seriously considering finding a shared rehearsal space and buying a kit for it just so I can go 2-3 times a week and play for a few hours...

This thread might have just convinced me.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
In order of proficiency:

Guitar
Bass
Mandolin
Piano
Harmonica
Banjo

Tried learning fiddle, sax, and percussion but there's a lot of technique that I have trouble grasping. Basically, though, if I can make sound with it I'm gonna try to use it.

Does the studio count? I love using the studio in fun ways to create sounds. I might not be great at proper percussion but sampling random scrap and household objects to add some interesting textures is something I've been big on lately.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Used to play the Trumpet. Went to an after school program where playing an instrument was a thing. My sis played the clarinet and my cousin played the flute.

Kinda wish I kept on playing after the program ended. It was a fun lil hobby.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guitar for like 25 years but I kind of plateaued like 20 years ago. Piano but I don't really play just play around.

Self promotion:

https://soundcloud.com/julia-my-love
https://soundcloud.com/the_number_sixes

I know that feel. Been playing guitar since 16 but stopped progressing long ago. I'm decent though. I can play bass, mandolin, drums and piano too. I've also studied songwriting, music production and singing. Writing a song now for my mother who passed away in January.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I self taught myself
Acoustic and Electric guitar
Harmonica
Bass guitar
Electric Piano
Ukulele
Tambourine/percussion

I am not great at all of these, but just a fun hobby

chironex

Oct 27, 2017
Keyboard, guitar, occasionally vocals and just synthesizer, drum machines, samplers etc. in general.

I played in a live techno/acid outfit for about 10 years that did ok. We did some OS touring and released a couple of things on Beatport and a few remixes ended up on vinyl.

These days I have a solo improv ambient and sometimes pair up with a friend that also does stuff- I usually take a digital piano which I run through a synthesizer to modify the sound while he uses a fully modular synth setup. All my recordings of that stuff are on a PC that is currently in storage while I convert my garage to a music studio, so I'll have to post a YouTube from a few years ago:

There's the usual SoundCloud too, I don't post in there much but it has a reasonable selection of the different styles I do.

soundcloud.com/evansparks

Also getting in to writing music for games these days.

Oct 25, 2017
You know a few years ago on GAF there was a compilation album put together of tracks made by members. It would be cool if we did that again sometime.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played guitar and bass since I was 14. I used to be quite a gear head but I've mostly neglected that stuff over the past few years.

Oct 27, 2017
Guitar for maybe 4 years and just recently picked up a Saxaphone to mess around with. Always wanted to mess around with a piano or violin and every once in a while I'll think about a shamisen? Because I'm a closet weaboo but I honestly like the way it sounds.