Topic title

• Weight system

Votes: 104 16.7%
  • Inventory slots

Votes: 517 83.3%

• Total voters

El_Dabrah

Feb 18, 2024
I'm not really a fan of both, but I feel like inventory slots are a bit more thought out than weight systems. I guess when I think inventory slots I think Diablo 2 or Resident Evil 4--it is like a puzzle almost...this is what we're giving you, making it work the way that is best for you. Whereas weight systems just encourage you to pick up every damn thing until you hit the limit and then back and forth dropping crap constantly ugh. Can't stand it.

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
Despite the annoyances.... weight.

It just feels more realistic to me and less "video gamey", even though the mere existence of being able to carry what you can carry in a video game is absurd. Weight at least makes me feel less like I have a magical backpack that can carry 12 guns and 45 cans of first aid spray.

Dev

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I played through nearly all of Dark Souls 1 not knowing that the equip load was a scale, and not just over/under. I was slow rolling everywhere like a chump.

fifthblight

Apr 8, 2024
Weight system tends to work better for the genres I'm most interested in. Inventory slots work if resources are limited and item management is an integral part of the gameplay, but they're incredibly annoying to deal with in RPGs.

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
I hate, hate, hate weight systems. Give me inventory slots all day, every day.

why-not-both-why-not.gif

A game with a weight system and inventory slots?

That's fucked up.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I like slots/grids, from an organization standpoint and a resource management standpoint. Usually in these sorts of games there are other factors that make it so there isn't much value in trying to have every single item, tool, and weapon in the game in your inventory at once anyway. Inventory bloat is far more obnoxious to me than any sort of inventory limitations because virtually no UI, especially in a console game, is built to handle it well.

Kinda indifferent to weight, but I ignore most things in games because picking up every single piece of junk isn't something I find interesting and to avoid the aforementioned inventory bloat problem, so I don't tend to run into problems with it.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I don't like encumbrance as a mechanic at all but if I have to choose.. I can't choose, I hate not being able to pick up any more items because of no available slots but I also despise being slowed down because of item weight,

Okay I hate weight more because it actively makes life worse. Slots would be easier to manage and pick something to drop that will be the equivalent of what you want to pick up.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Slots make it easier to load up on big items, I guess.

Though having been playing some Wylde Flowers recently I really like how that game handles inventory. That is, it doesn't - you can hold as much of anything as you want.

No penalty for my videogame hoarding.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Inventory slots with stackable items, a weight system is one of the many video games sins.

It's not fun, goes against exploring and picking stuff up and you're often forced to drop stuff when too heavy. It's anti-fun.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
Inventory slots for Survival Horror and weight systems in most RPGs. It depends on the game of but limited Inventory adds a lot to Resident Evil and Signalis while a weight system can either make your character/playstyle feels more unique if done well like in Dragon Dogma or forces you to limit what items you can bring in a dungeon.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Inventory is more predictable and allows for better planning. Weight is harder to keep track of and certain heavy items can surprise you. That isn't even getting into the nightmare of over encumbrance.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
i hate them both but if i had to choose, it would be slots. weight is stupid. one of the worst mechanics they ever came up with.