Votes: 735 61.6%
  • After

Votes: 458 38.4%

• Total voters

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
It's not a fair question because smart phones came out when I was transitioning from adolescence to adulthood and everyone knows how much of a reality slap that can be sometimes.

"If I could turn back time to the good ol' days when our mama sang us to sleep... but now we're stressed out."

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
I would have liked all the features of a smart phone, but I would have loved if touchscreens never became a thing. I fucking hate writing on today's phones!

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
it's only been about 15 yrs of smartphones compared to thousands of years of no smartphones prior. We're still in the shit with no objective view. We're most likely ruining ourselves.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
I'm glad they exist now when I'm 38 and can exhibit some self control and not be looking at it all the time but the net benefit of having one outweighs the negative, for my age group at least. I'm so unbelievably glad that they weren't around when I was a teenager. That would have been a complete horror show.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I had to think for literal hours before voting, but I voted After.

In spite of all the downsides Smartphones bring, there is also a lot of advantages that they bring to the table. The problem is that we, as a society, are still learning how to mitigate all the tremendous problems they bring. It's like Industrialisation's astounding social upheaval.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Before. I loved that it was possible to have a conversation with friends or dates without them suddenly answering a call.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Gonna go with after. I didn't have a cell phone until my junior year of high school and that was mostly for emergencies, so I'm pretty familiar with life before and after smart phones being the norm. I think the positives far outweigh the negatives and that in general, people long for a time that was much simpler where they were also younger.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
After. 1000%

The ability to look up anything at any time and place (provided I have internet access) is enough for me. Everything else is a bonus. Having a computer in my pocket still feels like science fiction at times.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's not an easy question. I love having a high-quality camera in my pocket, and access to all the info I may need, but I hate the expectation to reply to people and converse with them at any time when they send me messages.

Then there's all the damage smartphone-enabled social media has done to society.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
There is no argument, the ability to travel internationally with ease is so powerful with smart phones. I can take a trip to Spain, manage my flight and boarding pass on the phone, get around on public transportation and by walking via maps, paying for things with contactless w/o having to change money (including public transit in some cities), translate menus with the camera, and learn the language via apps on the phone.

I do not participate in social media outside of game dev nerd Mastodon.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I was 23 when smart phones started coming out in 2007, so I don't know what the school experience was like with them I was already out of college. But having the internet on me at all times is pretty nice.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Before, because if you don't have a smart phone with you now then you are effectively cut off from an increasingly large portion of society. Parking, cafes, restaurants, buying a car, store loyalty cards, etc... all are increasingly requiring smartphones to substitute for things that used to be available to people without.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The benefits of having constant contact with people and recording devices and GPS on you all the time are great of course, but I have to say I preferred the time when the internet was this thing you went to a dedicated place to access (usually a desktop or laptop computer) and not this omnipresent thing that is always around you that modern era of phones has brought us.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just happy i have very vivid and fond memories of how it was before smartphones and before internet. Before home computers. It felt extremely free. But it was much harder to get certain information.

But i'm equally happy.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I'm going to say "before", more for my kids and kids/teens in general.

Smart phones and social media makes their lives 1 million times more complicated than it needs to be.

I got to go all the way through school before they arrived.

Cbrun44

I couldn't go back due to being too far down that hole, but I honestly would prefer if smart phones had never existed. Life was absolutely better before. Not necessarily in terms of productivity, but in regards to being able to truly enjoy life.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
Smartphones line up with me growing up as late teen/early adult and all the stress that came with it so I think I'm biased against them

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
As a person who is gainfully employed on the web platform, it's pretty stupid of me to say "I prefer life before smart phones," because a tremendous amount of my income has come from developing applications and systems that you can't really separate from the introduction of phones and the proliferation of the internet to more people around the world.

Not that I make phone apps or phone websites or anything, but if the evolution of new computing technology ended in 2006, pre-smartphone, and the proliferation of the internet stopped at whoever had access in 2006 via a traditional piece of pre-2006 hardware (desktop/bulky laptop computer + landline internet), I don't really think my industry or job would exist in the same way that it does. It's a massive difference of demand and expectation. I suspect that's the case for a huge number of people at this site, as well, even people who don't work immediately in technology fields.

I think there are things that are bad about smart phones, but that there are things that are much more insidious that get tagged along with smart phones, but it's not really the fault of the smart phone..... just poor incentives. I think personalization/recommendation algorithms at large scale are insidiously bad for people. Those are largely made possible or profitable because you have this little biomod device attached to your body 24 hours a day. It's the first thing you do in the morning, the last thing you do at night, you wake up at 2am and you turn to your little biomod device that may as well be attached to you, it's rarely less than 2 feet from your body at any time of the day. But there are things that are so, so so much better because of smart phones, the magic has just worn off because these things are part of every day life.

The most obviously "Good" thing is something we don't even notice. Most peoples's ability to work and earn a living was not thoroughly disrupted by the global pandemic. Unemployment peaked early on, and then quickly went back down within about a year. A huge, huge percentage of gainful employment was preserved and not-starving-to-death-destitute-poverty was avoided because of technology that's been introduced, honed, and perfect over the smart phone era of the last 15 years. You can try to say "well, http was invented 30 years ago" or "TCP/IP was invented 50 years ago," but the rate at which everything shifted online for a huge plurality of the industrialized work force was only made possible because of continued technological development from 2006 to 2020. Everything is affected by it, at the most obvious level (like, almost no PCs came equipped with camera technology from the introduction of the PC in 1980 to the mid 2000s, and within 2 years of the smart phone being introduced, almost every personal computing device [the phone] would be bundled with a camera -- that changes everything), down to things that are hard for the everyday technology user to really appreciate, like logistics, optimization, latency, and like 1000 tiny things that are now part of everything that you can't even really imagine otherwise. I think our pandemic and post pandemic world, for industrialized places, is very different without the mesh of technology that accellerated with the introduction of the smart phone; this could have been a 1929-like two-decade collapse followed by an immediate rise of authoritarianism... And I don't think you can separate that cleanly, nor that most people (even myself) really appreciate it.

And this isn't even taking account of the things that are obviously better today than they were 18 years ago. The things that are in front of your face. One of the most obvious changes is the rapid descent in drunk driving, which is pretty much entirely attributed to the ubiquity of ride share apps. Stricter laws against drunk driving were introduced 30, 40, 50 years ago, and you didn't see that much of a decline across most places in the US. You saw more drunk driving arrests, but fatality and crash rates were pretty stubborn, they'd go down, but not meaningfully or consistently. This changed among young people in the 1990s, it made a small impact as driving education and classrooms were more active in anti-DUI education, but the biggest, most dramatic drop city to city town to town is introduced when Uber, Lyft, and rideshare become ubiquitous. In major cities, NYC, LA, Miami, and elsewhere, the affects aren't as stark: Public transportation exists there, taxis exist. But in the smaller urban areas (~150,000 - 1mil) where there is no public transportation and little to no reliable taxis, and also where the majority of Americans live, injuries/deaths from OUI began their precipitous decline when mobile-based ride sharing became nearly ubiquitous -- in my city this was a 52% reduction starting in 2014, after being relatively unchanged from 1980-2014. It also introduced the first changes to the taxi industry in like 60 years. In my city, the taxi landscape in 2010 was the same as it was in 1970, but worse: cash only, racist, dangerous, unreliable. By 2020, 10 years later, everything changed. Electronic payments, app-based hailing, significant drop in bias serving passengers, instead of being a mob-run monopoly with no competition and no reason to change, they had to adapt.

This is an obvious-right-in-front-of-everybody's-face improvement, like something that nobody was able to meaningfully change for 60 years, to something that has changed dramatically in 10 years, and if you think hard about smart phones, theres hundreds of these case studies. That said, there's then the opposite thing: mental health declines, social isolation, sharp rise in adolescent/teenage/young-adult anxiety, etc. I don't think that smart phones are all good, though my hostility is typically reserved most for personalization algorithms, but I think it's very easy and very lazy to say "smart phones are terrible and wish they didn't exist," just like "the internet was a mistake," and then you think about how that affects things tangentially to you -- like if we were still in the midst of a 1929-like great depression lasting 20 years and dramatic rise of authoritarianism -- or if you think about the things all around you but less obviously -- logistics of delivery, smart municipal systems -- or if you think about the super obvious things right in front of you -- the dramatic drop in OUI deaths/incidents... And I think it's a more balanced picture.

At the most basic level, this community most likely does not exist in the same way without the proliferation of connected computing, and so we're not even having this conversation. Maybe that's a good thing that it wouldn't exist, but we're all here discussing it anyway.

-- edit

Side note, I've been banging this thought in my head about the name "personal computer," and I wonder if in 100 years whether we'll really think of "The personal computer" in the same way as we do today. The Apple Macintosh was popularized in the year I was born, 1984, by the time I was old enough to have independent thoughts, I was in the midst of the PC era. Windows 95 was an event that I -- a computer dork -- was aware and personally excited for. I came of age in the early 2000s at the height of the personal computer, for a person like me (white, middle class, American). But for most people in the US, and especially for most people in the world, the personal computer was not a personal computer, even in my white, middle class, American house in 1996, our personal computer was shared between the 5 people living there, and it was barely more personal than the household telephone or the TV set. For most people in the world it wasn't personal at all, you'd get online at a school, library, internet cafe. The personal computer was as personal as an ATM machine. I think when we have time to distance ourselves from the terminology, we'll rethink the ubiquity of the personal computer to the smart phone, and then, who knows, maybe even something scarier... your personal AI, or what ever chasm we're about to bridge.

Last edited:

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to judge because before smart phones I also had zero responsibilities.

Being able to have an emergency book or video game in my pocket has been great for unexpected downtime tho.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Before. Just seeing people on their phones while driving is enough for me to prefer life before.

Jul 1, 2020
After, but I do wish that people used them more responsibly. The etiquette of some smartphone users in public, or even semi-private settings like an office, is absolutely wretched specifically around speaker volume and lack of headphone use. Notifications going off, watching videos and/or calls on speaker at full blast should be more frowned upon. It's like obnoxious Nextel users back in the day except there are way, way more of them.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I don't really remember too much of life before smartphones since I got one when I was 10, but after for sure.
I definitely prefer the earlier years of like iOS 6 though compared to now

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Absolutely before. I didn't have a phone at all for a year in the middle of college and it was one of the most liberating experiences of my adult life. It's truly a shame just how integrated they are into modern life.

Oct 25, 2017
I think mid - late 90s/early 00's was a great time...PC's and Internet(although shit dialup lol) were common enough but smartphones and social media was not a thing.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I'm going to say before, not really because of what smart phones offer, but rather how they are used by many. Things like messaging apps that are so ubiquitous to communication that someone will stop, or continue to ignore, an in-person discussion because they are responding to someone on their phone since for whatever reason they are not "allowed" to leave a comment marked as Read without responding.

Or how my son (and his friends) are able to track each others location which causes an immense amount of "drama" since they can't go visit someone without a bunch of them reaching out to understand why they are there and then the subsequent rumors/speculation.

I didn't get my first smart phone (BlackBerry) until I was 30, and outside of having access to maps and store locations/hours/etc. there aren't many things about it that have truly impacted my life for the better.

Oct 27, 2017
Light Phone 2 has the right idea but with poor performance and battery life. Tweaking it just a bit to include that and refining what's there already would be the ideal phone. That includes "tools" rather than apps including Talk, Text, Alarms, Calendar, GPS-enabled Navigation, music player / fm radio, etc. If they can keep the e-ink screen but improve it's refresh and responsiveness (along with the better battery life and performance), that's the biggest thing in need of refinement.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
After smartphones, but before short form media, and all the now shitty, post-success versions of services like Uber and Netflix.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Whine all you want about social media and youngsters with their teek tawks, but I cannot live without Google Maps anymore.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Whine all you want about social media and youngsters with their teek tawks, but I cannot live without Google Maps anymore.
I'd argue that Google Maps made things worse in 1 specific case:
you're going to a party and you're late, you know you're late but you can no longer give the excuse that you got lost on the way.

That's about it.
It's fun to navigate a new place with just a map and soak and get to know the place without having a direct gps to tell you where everything is.....but seriously no one really has time for that anyway.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
There were standalone GPS devices that did turn by turn long before Google Maps was on phones.
Counterpoint, someone in the family had one of them.
If you didn't follow direction for some reason twice it would hung up and stop working at all.
Yes, we had an emotionally difficult GPS.

Then there's the whole thing about updating GPS that was a whole lotta pain,
Google Maps works, all the time and is ALWAYS accurate.
That's something you could never take for granted with standalone GPS.

Oct 27, 2017
There are feature phone manufacturers out there who are attempting to include GPS-enabled navigation on their devices (light phone 2 and the CAT flip smart feature phone come to mind). So far, their attempts have fallen short of what's ideal, but someone will get it sooner than later. As soon as that happens, I will be jumping back to "dumb"/feature phones.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
After thinking more, I gotta say after. Social media is the problem and if it wasn't a factor, phones still come out ahead. My reading for pleasure nosedived in grad school and the only thing that saved it were ebooks on my phone.

Grenlento

Dec 6, 2023
Infinitely better just for driving/public transport directions alone. I just stay off social media.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Honestly, the biggest reason for smartphones ubiquitouness is social media.Some people just got to have it
I get it, believe me I do but
It's not phones so much as social media. Having navigation to and info about anything in your pocket is an insane upgrade by itself. Without social media it would be a tiny laptop.
That is really the part of smartphones I like,
you could nuke social media tomorrow I probably wouldn't notice before the end of the week.
And really if I'm being honest, it's about the only part of the smartphone paradigm that isn't a straight upgrade from before.
Even just anything about reading,
you've got instant translation tools and I Don't know what else.

It's a bit insane what a smartphone allows you to do without even looking at social media which I don't think I need to point the negatives (and not in a "it was better before" way)

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Counterpoint, someone in the family had one of them.
If you didn't follow direction for some reason twice it would hung up and stop working at all.
Yes, we had an emotionally difficult GPS.

Then there's the whole thing about updating GPS that was a whole lotta pain,
Google Maps works, all the time and is ALWAYS accurate.
That's something you could never take for granted with standalone GPS.
The only issue I ever had with old built-in or stand-alone GPS units was updating them. They never navigated us incorrectly and seemed to understand the idea of use "good" roads better.

Google Maps however, constantly wants to direct us on the "fastest" route that is only possible if we take roads that we either have no business driving on or will be challenging to safely make a turn off of (ie. left hand turn onto a very busy street). My wife and I still joke about a time where Google Maps navigated us down a barely marked road when going to her parent's cottage and we almost got stuck as there was literally no paving done on the road at points. Fortunately our Subaru made it through, but we had almost no clearance in a few places and almost bottomed out. Amusingly, once Google Maps began doing Street Views in this area, this street was conveniently left alone.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
Before except for driving — driving with a smartphone is vastly superior to a printed map.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Tough question.... I do miss pre-cell phone era sometimes, but really for a bunch of odd reasons lol.

I miss that I was totally free to be "away" before. Now there is an expectation to have a phone on you at all times and be reachable. I know I can just leave my phone at home when I go out. But more often than not, I get lectured by family members when I do that lol.

There are far too many positives to having mobile communication, media (Music), high quality camera/video, etc. to say that before was better.

But the abuse of cell phones really makes me hate them sometimes. Everyone recording everything because they "have the right to" gets annoying at times. Phone zombies everywhere makes me sad.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Before except for driving — driving with a smartphone is vastly superior to a printed map.
For starters, GPS units (with screens) existed so you didn't have to rely on printed maps if didn't want to.

That said, when travelling to a different country (like the US) if you don't have international roaming data then Google Maps on your phone isn't much use. And even if you do have roaming, it sometimes doesn't work quickly enough when switching networks and you lose navigation when you need it most.