• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

After you stop playing a game, how long can you wait before you need to learn it again?

• 24 Hours

Votes: 26 4.4%
  • Days

Votes: 57 9.6%
  • Weeks

Votes: 183 30.8%
  • Months

Votes: 144 24.2%
  • Years

Votes: 26 4.4%
  • I can pick it up pretty quickly no matter how long it's been.

Votes: 159 26.7%

• Total voters

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Honestly I don't lose muscle memory that quickly so I can remember how to play a game I took a break from within the hour.

Just recently did so with Horizon Zero Dawn, although the controls were pretty straight forward to be fair.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
It depends on the game. Dark Souls or Yakuza I can easily jump back in with little effort to readjust, but games that are original I have a harder time when taking a break.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
After a few weeks now I forget how to play. That's what it took me so long to get back into Spiderman and MHW. Though I put enough hours in to MHR that I think I should be good.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
huge problem for me, I recently wanted to play Horizon Zero Dawn DLC (Frozen Wastes) but just couldn't get into the game, and I had plat'd the original game way back when. I can't get into Destiny 2 or other games I poured hundreds of hours into.

Its not just mechanics, which is a problem, but just immersion in the world. Building up from zero to knowing everything about a world, characters, story, abilities, etc vanishes within a week or two for me and I really, really need a lot of that to be invested in a game. Every time I've tried to play Destiny in the past six months (all xpacs free with gamepass) I have gotten bored and quit after 20 mins, and I sunk hundreds of hours into D1 and D2 vanilla.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Depends on the game. Fighting games like Street Fighter 2 or MK2 I could pick up after 10 years and be fine. Modern games like GoW or Spider-Man or something I'm like wtf after a few weeks if I've played other games in between lol

El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I guess it depends on the game. If it's something super complex like a strategy game it could take a while, sometimes it might be even easier to start again if you were only a few hours deep. But for most stuff I can just pick it up and work out how everything works in a few minutes.

OP
OP
Larrikin

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the game. Dark Souls or Yakuza I can easily jump back in with little effort to readjust, but games that are original I have a harder time when taking a break.
lololol sick burn.

Im glad to see that its not particularly rare for people to not have trouble picking games up again after however long. am definitely surprised its the 2nd top response though.

Im fascinated to see what this means in a broader sense of peoples ability to learn. I was talking to another friend about this after they were getting mad at a family member since "learning things is easy" and pointed out that it might just be easy for him. Before seeing roommate I wouldve probably assumed the same.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
It is especially astonishing for me with elite dangerous. I use a hotas and two shift layers to triple map all the buttons and whenever I get into the game again I can use it within minutes.

Regular controller games are worse most of the time and I need to figure it out again after a few days. But this is due to playing other games with it confusing the muscle memory I guess.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
lololol sick burn.

Im glad to see that its not particularly rare for people to not have trouble picking games up again after however long. am definitely surprised its the 2nd top response though.

Im fascinated to see what this means in a broader sense of peoples ability to learn. I was talking to another friend about this after they were getting mad at a family member since "learning things is easy" and pointed out that it might just be easy for him. Before seeing roommate I wouldve probably assumed the same.
😆😆😆 What I meant was the first game in a new series or a game that plays differently than what im used to. Tbf though, both my examples dont evolve much either.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Depends entirely on the complexity of the mechanics and individuality of the controls. The more the game shares with others, the easier it tends to be to pick back up. Not that I think games should always be so similar.

More often I just forget where I am in the game. I'm going to be checking The Elder Scrolls Online out next week for the first time in years, and I am very much not looking forward to reorienting myself.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
In terms of actions and controls, I can get back into the mode pretty quick.

But if it's like a puzzle game with a lot of nuanced dynamics and rules? I'm probably fucked after 6 months or so. Like in no way can I go back to The Witness.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Depends on the game. I barely remember anything if I don't play No Man's Sky for a few months. I can pick up most WRPGs years after stopping to play them and don't have any trouble.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Depends on the game. I took an extended break playing Danganronpa and had to restart from the beginning because of all of those fucking mini games. Going to have to do the same with Danganronpa 2 because I took an extended pause.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Answered "weeks" in the poll, but it's really more about confidence than actual ability, because I don't even try resuming most games if it's been months. Getting reacquainted with the controls is one thing, and probably no big deal, but I worry about context-dependent mechanics, progression systems, ways to deal efficiently with enemies, etc. And in games with a substantial story, forgetting about ongoing plot points, world building, character motivations, etc, is obviously problematic as well.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I've put down games for years, picked them back up, and was just fine playing them. There's maybe a couple of hours readjusting, of course, but given all of the control overlap, it's not hard. I'll have a bunch of "oh yeah, you're supposed to do this while this is happening" moments though.