Do You Replay Games To Prepare For Their Sequel?

• Always

Votes: 19 3.2%
  • Varies From Game-To-Game

Votes: 377 63.4%
  • Never

Votes: 179 30.1%
  • I Watch YouTube Recaps For Refreshment

Votes: 20 3.4%

• Total voters

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Nahh, Once i'm done with a game, i rarely if ever play it again, especially if it's one of those long open world games

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Depends on the game for sure. I would never replay something that is over 30 hours unless there is a NG+ or something that makes it faster.

If not I'll watch a youtube.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
Depends on the game with Metroid it's a no brainer for me to go through them because I have been wanting to go through them again for years and gave them a break about half a decade ago the 2d entries and I have a playthrough of zero mission to finish they aren't too long either.

Some games. Recently which I did were Spider-Man remastered and miles I never played the first one on ps4 (as fun as it looked I said it seems like a 60fps or next gen version may come so I'll wait) and decided to go through it and platinum it and miles back to back which was very fun!

varies from game to game but I wouldn't do it with many or just get a refresher to avoid burn out

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Not usually. Games are long these days and there are so many of them so I rarely replay things anymore.

I did replay the Mega Drive Sonic games and played a couple of the Master System ones for the first time in the lead up to Sonic Mania though, which was very worth it.

I also tend to play old games that I haven't played before in the lead up to a new entry. Like I had only played Kingdom Hearts 1/2/CoM before KH3 was announced, but played through the other games on the PS4 collection in the lead up to KH3.

Last edited:

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
not really, usually because i dont want to play something similar to a game im about to buy for 10+ hours prior to buying it

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
I installed MCC and started a playthrough of Reach yesterday. I'll try to get through every game before Infinite release.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
These days if I do its usually to wrap up the post game DLC before the sequel drops like I did with REVII going into REVIII

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Generally no, but I played through all of the mainline Ratchet & Clank games before Rift Apart. It made it obvious how each game changed things and how much of a departure that Rift Apart is from various aspects of the series.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'll try. But these damn games are either too long or too many sequels. Like I wanted to play all the Ratchet games before Rift but I only managed to replay 2016 due to time constraints and other games. Defined looking forward/and not to play Horizon, God of War and BOTW.

Sometime it's also not a good idea, I played through all the Gears for the first time before playing 5 but by the time I reached I was burned out of that gameplay loop.

for now I think I'll just replay games in which I just can't remember what happened in the story.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Usually I want to but in reality I don't want to burn myself out on the series before the new game comes out, so it never seems to happen.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
If it's been a while since I played them, sure. I can't imagine replaying every Yakuza game for the next one because it's essentially an annual series, but every five years or so sounds fine.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Varies from game to game.

I have to take into account how EASY it is to replay.

But I think I have enough time to replay the whole metroid 2D series before Dread…

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Never for that reason. I don't really care about stories in games. However often when a new game is coming out it triggers fond nostalgic memories for a prior game in the series and I may revisit it due to that. Not necessarily replay, but load it back up and mess around a bit at least

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I do it quite often. A sequel coming out for a game I enjoy is typically the opportunity I use to go back and replay a game. I did it with The Last of Us 2 by replaying the first game (via the remastered version), which was the first time I played that game again since 2013. I might have enjoyed that game even more my second time playing it. I'm not going to replay every game in a long series every time a new entry is released though.

The same is often true for games in my backlog, as well. I've never played Horizon, but I'll likely play it at some point leading up to playing Horizon 2. I rarely buy games immediately at launch, so that helps mitigate the feeling that I'll burn out on a specific type of game. Using Horizon as an example, I may play the first one leading up to the sequel's release to feel generally involved in the Horizon hype, but then I may also not buy the sequel until like 6 months after release.

Depends how long it is. Best believe I'll blitz through both Spider-Man games before the sequel hits though.
I'm already 100% expecting to blast through the first two Spider-Man games again leading up to the third one. I want to experience those storylines again! New Game+ is such a fantastic option for these types of replays. I'll probably play it on a hard difficulty to keep the combat interesting, but it'll be great to not having to worry about the more grindy aspects of the game that I've already experienced.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
No, but I will for DLC -- sequels tend to teach you how to play again.

The DLC that I've played tends to complicate the base game's mechanics, so if it's been a while, I'll play the base game just enough to get a feel for the mechanics again

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Used to, now I rarely do, especially if it's a fairly long game.
I did replay through all of Spider-Man through the remaster to get used to Peter's new face before Miles Morales lol.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I dint think I ever have, and I dont think I want to. Depending on how old the previous game was I probably wouldnt even like to.

To me it almost seems like a way to get burned out on the game before it even launches.

Usually I may be finished with the current game and I'll jump in and mess around during end game stuff.