• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you say "he" or "she" when talking about Sheik?

• He

Votes: 195 19.2%
  • She

Votes: 779 76.9%
  • They

Votes: 39 3.8%

• Total voters

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my head, since Zelda in OOT was presenting herself as a man when disguised as Sheik, to me it always made sense to refer to Sheik as a he, and Zelda as a she separately.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I understood it as a disguise, so it's not really a question of etiquette or anything, she's only presenting herself as a male because it's valuable for her not to be discovered at the moment, and she isn't going to continue using the disguise (in OOT anyway) when it's no longer valuable. We, outside of the game, aren't endangering her or anything by using her true identity.
Did anyone else misread Sheik as Shrek and was highly confused?

Can't just be me.
Nah, I misread it for a second too.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
I've literally never thought about this. It seems like a change of pronouns would make change with a change of identity, but not necessarily with a costume, right? If Zelda isn't thinking of herself as a he then the male presenting identity is simply part of the disguise. So, in my head and with people who have played the game, I'd use "she/her". With people who haven't, I wouldn't bring it up and I'd use whichever pronouns they used.

-edit-

Similarly, when Link disguises as a woman in BotW I would still think of them as a he.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
She, but mainly because my introduction to Sheik was through Melee where Zelda straight up transformed between Sheik and Zelda.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Community Generalization
She, because that is what she is.

Oh yeah, sure, because someone deliberately outwardly presenting as male should be treated as female no matter what they try. So much for the forum being so progressive.

He, just like characters in the game do. Particularly princess ruto uses he when you talk with them either in the water temple or right after. Shiek has deliberately been presenting as a male to even people who would otherwise have been close allies and should be treated as such.

chadboban

May 27, 2020
I've thought about it as similar to what some male identifying drag queens do. Where they prefer to be called she/her when in drag but use male pronouns when out of drag. At least in ocarina of time that is. To me at least, the Sheik in Ocarina of time presented themselves as male and if I recall correctly, Ruto says this about Sheik "A young man named Sheik saved me from under the ice" so it's clear that the game's intentions were for Sheik to be seen as a boy until the big reveal.

In Hyrule warriors Sheik doesn't make as much of an effort to hide her feminine features tho so I think once the Ocarina of Time twist was revealed Sheik has since identified as female.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I was introduced to Sheik through Melee so I never even thought about her being confused for a male.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I don't remember how Skeik addresses herself, but I always thought she was a girl. The word "she" is even in her name lol
Admittedly, I played Smash Bros Brawl before Ocarina of Time, so I already knew that she is Zelda in disguise

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
In the game, Ruto references to Sheik as a 'young man'. In the Official Nintendo Player's Guide, Sheik is described as male. Notably, these are the only two canon references to Sheik in the Zeldaverse.

Later however, Bill Trinen said Sheik is just Zelda in disguise, and thus female. Trophies in Smash and other games also use she/her. I guess Nintendo just wanted to hide the true identity of Sheik in OoT even more, but in the end I use she.

Courtesy of the Zelda Fandom articles :P

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
It's an interesting question.
If I'm being real here, my actual answer is "I don't really talk about Sheik much, and when I do it's normally in a context where I can transition to talking about Zelda, who is definitely she/her as far as the narrative is concerned". I just use Sheik's name otherwise and that's typically fine.

If I were to go full gender with Sheik though... I'm not sure if the persona is ever gendered with Sheik on screen? Forgive me if I'm forgetting something, but typically Sheik appears, does a monologue at silent protagonist Link, leaves, and then maybe Navi goes "who was that mysterious man?". I don't think Navi's assumptions really count as evidence here, especially when Sheik can't contradict them.

I'd be interested to know what sort of pronouns, etc. Sheik uses in Japanese. Presumably boku or something? If there's something definitive there I might refer to that, but otherwise I might say that Sheik shouldn't be gendered at all.

...Of course this is a pretty in depth reading of a character who almost certainly was designed with the same intent as "what if Samus was secretly a girl" - it's ultimately somewhat naive feminism, not a grand trans narrative or something.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
She, because my intro to Sheik was Melee, where she's explicitly presented as Princess Zelda in disguise. It just makes sense.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
It's an interesting question.
If I'm being real here, my actual answer is "I don't really talk about Sheik much, and when I do it's normally in a context where I can transition to talking about Zelda, who is definitely she/her as far as the narrative is concerned". I just use Sheik's name otherwise and that's typically fine.

If I were to go full gender with Sheik though... I'm not sure if the persona is ever gendered with Sheik on screen? Forgive me if I'm forgetting something, but typically Sheik appears, does a monologue at silent protagonist Link, leaves, and then maybe Navi goes "who was that mysterious man?". I don't think Navi's assumptions really count as evidence here, especially when Sheik can't contradict them.

I'd be interested to know what sort of pronouns, etc. Sheik uses in Japanese. Presumably boku or something? If there's something definitive there I might refer to that, but otherwise I might say that Sheik shouldn't be gendered at all.

...Of course this is a pretty in depth reading of a character who almost certainly was designed with the same intent as "what if Samus was secretly a girl" - it's ultimately somewhat naive feminism, not a grand trans narrative or something.
In Japanese, Sheik indeed uses boku.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
In Japanese, Sheik indeed uses boku.
Good to know!
If that's the case then, while it's still a little ambiguous, I think the case could be made that Sheik wants to be addressed as a man.
...even if it's in the context of a disguise.

I'm not necessarily going to be passionately making that argument myself, but he/him Shiek fans have my full respect

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda is female, but Sheik, the person she is disguised as, is male. So "he."

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, sure, because someone deliberately outwardly presenting as male should be treated as female no matter what they try. So much for the forum being so progressive.

He, just like characters in the game do. Particularly princess ruto uses he when you talk with them either in the water temple or right after. Shiek has deliberately been presenting as a male to even people who would otherwise have been close allies and should be treated as such.

…because Zelda did not want to be found by Ganondorf. This isn't someone presenting as male because that matches their gender/how they actually want to be seen, it's someone being disguised for their safety.

Like if people want to have that as their interpretation/headcanon, that's valid. But this reaction is reading too much into other people's responses. (EDIT: Well, to be fair: the wording of the post you quoted? Not great. But more generally I don't think this fits.)

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If the person I'm talking to doesn't know the twist, (or if I don't know if they know,) I default to He to preserve that surprise.

Otherwise, She.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Can't say conversations about Sheik have been something that come up frequently…or ever for me but I would refer to Sheik as she since I know who it is. It makes sense for people to use he though, as "Sheik" seems to be presented as a man, at least Navi says that I don't believe Sheik ever actually states anything in the US version at least.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
She, only because Sheik was a disguise and not something Zelda was identifying as

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
I always knew sheik was a woman even before it's revealed who she really is. I don't think she was posing as a man, she presents as femme as far as I can see.

No idea how you could look at those lucious eyelashes and think 'must be a man'

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose it would depend on whether I'm talking to someone who hasn't played the game or not. If they have I'd say she, because Sheik never explicitly identifies as male, she's just a mysterious figure of indeterminate sex. If they haven't I'd say he (because troubling myself to say they alone is a bit of a spoiler) or just call her by name.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lol I voted wrong... I thought this was etcera forum and was talking about Shrek. I have no idea who Sheik is.