Votes: 66 9.8%
  • Sometimes I do, Sometimes I don't

Votes: 193 28.8%
  • Never!

Votes: 367 54.7%

• Total voters

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
Only in sports games, in other types of games if it has a character creator I try to create a character that fits the universe.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
I tend to recreate myself in games with a modern setting like Street Fighter

Otherwise it just takes me out of the experience

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I'm too lazy to come up with names and will often give male characters my name (like in Dragon Quest or Persona). It was funny in Suikoden 2 when McDohl became AcDohl due to the glitch in the save transfer. Anyway, I don't pretend that these characters are me and don't want to actually be whoever the character is.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Nah, I spend the rest of my life being me. When you offer me the chance to not be me for a bit, I'm taking that chance.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm cute AF but I'm not trying to make myself in games.

If presented with a character creator I usually just use a default that closely resembles a generic anime protagonist.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Occasionally I'll make the character resemble me somewhat, especially if I get frustrated/bored or realize how much time I'm wasting in a character creation menu (if I don't just randomize it a few times til it lands on something I don't hate).

I'm not doing it with actual intent and really trying to absorb myself into the game, though. I'll just as quickly pick a cat person or female character or any option that I feel like given the game.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's virtually impossible to self-insert unless the game has some sort of clear-cut character customization option.

But if the game has character customization and there's some degree of expectation that the main character is a blank state, then I will self-insert on at least a first playthrough. So yes when it's something like Dragon's Dogma, but never when it's Persona.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Not me but I spent a good while in the character creator because I have a character in mind I then Roleplay.

I made myself in FIFA but that usually ended up looking weird because 90 precent of soccer players are tiny men and I'm 6"2.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I'll use my name normally but usually just press the randomised a few times then set off.
g1admqV.jpg
Christian Eriksen's Era account found

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Not at all and I hate character creators. I get the appeal but nah. I don't think games are immersive enough yet for it in terms of narrative or storytelling options for me to lose myself in the idea.

Also character creators for black folk tend to be dire anyway, let alone making anything near myself

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Sure! I do it all the time. I always try to make a character that looks like me. They don't always look exactly like me, but I usually do make a dark skinned male character with a big grey beard.

The exception is games that have races I like more than humans (like FFXIV or Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous).

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
I don't think so... maybe when I was a kid? Nowadays I would prefer a predefined character and the custom characters I make are just something I want to look for however long the game is.