• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lwyn

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
I would say yes for the XBO OG and no for the later consoles.

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
Never did and I didn't think it was a common sentiment that Xbox was any kind of successor.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of this as a thing when the original XBOX was released. Sounds like something some youngins came up with a decade later... which it seems that's the case.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
It absolutely was in the case of the original Xbox - its early on support from Sega certainly made for a strong showing, going with a feel and attitude consistent with Sega's late Saturn/Dreamcast output, even from non-Sega third parties.

It's definitely tapered off since then in subsequent consoles, though we get a handful of things here and there that definitely resemble more the kinds of experiences you'd get from Sega than from other platforms (e.g. Sunset Overdrive, Cuphead). I certainly wish there was more of that, but recognition of what made Sega great in the first place is ramping down quite a bit as well, while their modern reputation as relatively-low-tier publisher is replacing it.

Oct 27, 2017
No and I always thought it was weird. I get that the Xbox controller felt similar and that Sega released some exclusives but they did that for all consoles

But the Xbox has never had the Japanese support that I'd need to consider it an heir to anything Sega

Had the OG Xbox played DC tho would've been great

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The original Xbox was easy to see this way considering it's pedigree; but it became more and more a Microsoft thing as games started to matter less to them and tried to take over the living room.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
At first, sure. The timing of it was perfect and there were quite a few Sega games that were exclusive to the original Xbox (and still are, grumble grumble). Although PS2 and GameCube did get their fair share of Sega exclusives too like Shinobi, Virtua Fighter 4, Super Monkey Ball, and the Sonic Adventure ports. That all changed during the PS3/360/Wii era when Sega released games that felt like they moved on from their Dreamcast "roots." Before, it felt as if the PS2/Xbox/GameCube games would be possible on Dreamcast, but when we got to the PS3/360/Wii era, we were seeing a new era of Sega as well. And they were willing to put their games out on as many systems as possible. I feel like Sega expanded on this, and they even now put out a lot of games on PC too. In fact, currently, I think Sega is more friendly with Sony and Nintendo by giving them exclusives like Yakuza and certain Sonic games (for the Wii U at least) than they are with Microsoft at the moment, but I guess that could be said about many publishers right now.

I will say, though, that it still feels better to play Sonic games on Xbox than PlayStation, even to this day. So maybe that has something to do with it.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
As a early adopter of the OG Xbox I absolutely felt like it was a Dreamcast successor. Gunvalkyrie, JSRF, PSO, PDO, Super GT, Outrun, I never felt like it was after the first Xbox though.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't at the time and don't now. Xbox always felt like it's own thing. Also no Sonic or VF initially, which were arguably the two biggest Sega games at the time.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
The original Xbox was very much a Sega lineage console in my view. Dreamcast had Windows CE, and when it got axed many of the games snd ideas moved over to Xbox. Xbox 360 still had some of that feel, but by Kinect and Xbox One, Microsoft had its own identity. I kinda miss the Sega Xbox.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely yes for the OG console being a spiritual successor of the Dreamcast. A lot of those games were probably already being planned for Dreamcast before Sega gave up on hardware.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't Sega in talks with MS to get Dreamcast games running on the OG Xbox? Add in the design of the controller, the fact that the memory cards were originally VMUs, and the substantial library of exclusive (and non-exclusive) games Sega put out on the Xbox and I definitely see how one would view the original Xbox as a Sega-like console. Obviously that definitely tapered off after the original Xbox but I still feel like there's a design through line. To me, the original Xbox looks like the product of Sega of America. Sega of Japan definitely would not have made a console like the Xbox but Sega of America is a different story. Now, SOA's version of the Xbox almost certainly would've been worse but it is what it is.

Oh I also feel like Sega's consoles appealed to Western developers in a way other companies platforms in the 90s didn't as much. For a time, MS even had the same issues with EA that Sega did. My point is, I don't think it was crazy to view the OG Xbox as a spiritual successor to the Dreamcast.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Never heard of this as a thing when the original XBOX was released. Sounds like something some youngins came up with a decade later... which it seems that's the case.
No, as a 40 year old that was there and was really into OG Xbox (probably up there with Super Nintendo for me with nostalgia consoles, and the growing library of original games on the 1 are the only thing making me think of getting one) this definitley was a real sentiment among some even at the time. Not everyone agreed including me but it was a real thing and is not new.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
If it were then Yakuza would be an Xbox franchise, not PlayStation

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
No, pretty much everything that SEGA do that I'm interested in (Yakuza mostly, but the occasional Football Manager or something from Atlus too) usually don't even show up on Xbox, so hard to associate them really.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The original Xbox could be, but Japan fucked up the whole console market by becoming obsessed with mobile devices.

Edit: surprised Sega hasn't tried dipping into that market with a handheld.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I see it as a nice foster home for the Dreamcast sequels and games at the time.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In my life? Yes. I went from Dreamcast to Xbox, 360, and Xbox One. So it will always be the successor.

In general? Nah. It's doing it's own thing.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I remember people making the comparison with the original Xbox because of JSRF and Orta, nothing post-DC feels much like a Sega system successor to me. Some games feel like the Sega of old but those have been spread among various systems.

Oct 26, 2017
Only in a historical context, it's as irrelevant as the SNES CD otherwise.

No it was definitely a thing. You don't put a Shenmue 2 port on there without people thinking that.

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OG Xbox to an extent because of all the Sega exclusives, the controller with the slots for memory cards/microphone and the superior online features but it was missing a port of VF4 and it missed out on what would become one of Sega's flagship series, Yakuza.

After that, not really.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Not any more though I do think Microsoft made a real attempt to make the association to Sega when they first started (when you the new player you gotta get any audience you can). But once they started to make their own hit games and figure out where they wanted to take the brand. The attempt to associate with Sega stopped hard.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
I did with the original Xbox, but everything after that didn't get the support SEGA had. Almost no SEGA like arcade games.

Deleted member 11934

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a USA is the spiritual successor of the British Empire way yeah. It's as if the Dreamcast lost the elegance of its concept and replaced it with bbbbblast processing.

Back in the day I was a core PC gamer without internet, only reading magazines. Xbox was the alien console from USA while the Dreamcast was a rare, exotic japanese system.

playXray

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Been gaming a long time but not really heard of this before. Then again I was at university when Xbox OG came out so there's a lot I don't remember from that time in my life!

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I definitely see this with the original Xbox, felt like a continuation of the Dreamcast. I don't see it with the 360 or Xbox One though, they have very little of that Sega console charm.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, mostly because Xbox has always consistently been a better platform than Sega.
latest

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox will always be Sega.

PlayStation will always be Nintendo.

Nintendo will always be Atari.

Just accept.