Is Astro Bot Sony's best mascot?

• Yes, he is Sony's best mascot

Votes: 251 23.1%
  • No, there are other better mascots

Votes: 504 46.4%
  • He has potential to be the best, but time will tell if he truly sticks/is evergreen

Votes: 331 30.5%

• Total voters

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of the quality of games he's in? Sure.

Not sure he is recognizable enough though. Not nearly enough people played Astrobot.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
v0h2i.jpg

He's nothing compared to Toro (white cat) and Kuro (black cat).

revoltech-sony-cat-toro-kuro-summer_1_251e4b839595c39a05e13d242f599566.jpg

I mean how can you not love these guys? :)

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Who?

Seriously Spyro and Crash were the unofficial mascot of Playstation since the 90s.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope not.

Nobody outside of gaming enthusiast circles could even recognize that thing is associated with PlayStation, let alone know its name.

EDIT: I just showed it to my wife and she said it was from WALL-E.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Yes, he is.

Its also a bit silly that Sony isn't talking to the other side of Sony and getting the Aibo department to make a real AstroBot.
94113-sony-aibo-ers-7m2.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, its Nathan Drake for me.
I like how he was used in advertisements like "Michael" and the PlayStation Now ads and wish they'd keep him around like that long after he gets replaced in Uncharted.

Last edited:

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just asked six of my friends at a party right now, all who owns a PS4, who Astro Bot is. No one knew... A couple of them are even hardcore gamers.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I think Astrobot is bland and quite dated in the design, it's very inspired by E.V.E from wall - E, and tons of 3D artists have made robots in the same style since then. But, sure its like a chibi PS5 so I guess he's the mascot by default.

AllBizness

Mar 22, 2020
Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Daxter make much better mascots because they have much better games.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
He is Sony's only Mascot in the truest sense of the word.

When I think Mascots I think Mario and Sonic, he fits in there if they can come out with a big game for him, Sackboy just never caught on but he had potential t

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
There's potential, certainly Astro's main game being on PSVR didn't help reach the masses, but we'll see how it goes now that the next game comes pre-installed in every PS5.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I thought square/circle/triangle/cross were the mascots?

But Astro Bot is cool. I wish Parappa and Lammy were mascots, those are still my favorites. Also like Kat.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I voted for the potential

Sony makes and ditches all of their mascots equally. They are fair like that.

Oct 27, 2017
Sonys problem always was that they have nothing they could call a mascot. But is that actually a bad thing not to have one?

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
There's potential, certainly Astro's main game being on PSVR didn't help reach the masses, but we'll see how it goes now that the next game comes pre-installed in every PS5.

That's a real shame too. That game in PSVR is such a great game. It's the most honest unadulterated FUN I've had with video games in a long long time. I hope everyone can get to experience it someday.

The PS4 Playroom games were cute but not on the same level as Rescue Mission. Let's hope the PS5 Playroom captures some of that magic from the VR game.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Nah, Polygon Man is way better. jk. Astro Bot should be used more outside of glorified tech demos for new hardware. Even though the tech demos can be great (Rescue Mission is the best), but those are just tech demos. I need more standalone games that primarily serve to entertain rather than to showcase new tech.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if he's the best they've ever had but he's definitely the best right now. I like most of Sony's first party characters but the idea of Aloy or Kratos or Drake as a mascot is frankly dumb to me.

Astro is cute, digestible, fun, with no narrative baggage, and his design mirrors Sony's hardware.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Sony hasn't had a mascot since Crash and they never will again. It's not near their focus.
Exactly. I hear "PlayStation" and I think of narrative-driven, gorgeous, third-person games. Not Sony's "mascot", as if they have anything that could ever stand up to Mario in that regard.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
He is Sony's only Mascot in the truest sense of the word.

When I think Mascots I think Mario and Sonic, he fits in there if they can come out with a big game for him, Sackboy just never caught on but he had potential t
Agreed.

It really all depends on how Sony pushes forward with him.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Nah, Polygon Man is way better. jk. Astro Bot should be used more outside of glorified tech demos for new hardware. Even though the tech demos can be great (Rescue Mission is the best), but those are just tech demos. I need more standalone games that primarily serve to entertain rather than to showcase new tech.
How is Rescue Mission a tech demo?

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017

Team Asobi's purpose is to explore new ways of play with new hardware. It's kind of their edict. Their whole development process is geared around flushing out tech demos and picking the best ones to demonstrate new hardware features.

As much as I'd like them to produce a sequel to Rescue Mission for VR, they have been busy with the DualSense and exploring ways it can be used to make gaming more immersive.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still mad that Sony didn't do more with Sackboy, I feel like he had potential to be up there.