• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Arguably the best coach in modern NFL history, but he couldn't find a job last off-season. He got close the Falcons, but they went with a younger candidate.

You could say its ageism, but Andy Reid is not a young guy and Belichek has a better resume. So I'm not sure it's ageism.

Was it the coaching tree debacle? Apparently this seems big in the NFL. But his coaches have stunk up the league as head coaches.

I personally think he gets another job. I just think the vacancies this season weren't good fits for Belichek.

My bet is the Giants, a team he has history with, if they don't improve. Although I do like Daboll there.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Kraft essentially fucked him regarding the Falcons job.
www.espn.com

Inside Bill Belichick's failed offseason job hunt

As the NFL has moved on from this year's firing-and-hiring cycle, two questions remain: Why is Bill Belichick suddenly and seemingly unemployable? And will he coach again?

Maybe he'll get another shot but it's going to depend on a number of factors.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
You get a chance to read this?
www.espn.com

Inside Bill Belichick's failed offseason job hunt

As the NFL has moved on from this year's firing-and-hiring cycle, two questions remain: Why is Bill Belichick suddenly and seemingly unemployable? And will he coach again?
Personally, I think he may have another HC job in him, but his days as a hybrid GM/HC are over.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Belichick is 72 and has spent the last 23 years in the same franchise running his system (very successfully). The next coaches closest in age to him are Andy Reid (65) and John Harbaugh (61). Both of those coaches have been with their teams for over a decade. When you bring in a new coach, you're bringing in a new system as well. It's going to take several years for Belichick to mold the team into something he wants, and he's going to be even older yet after that. I think we're at a point where these franchises aren't seeing the value in a short-term hiring of him and also knowing that a long-term hiring will likely not work out either.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
He probably will but i doubt he's ever going back to the success he had with the patriots

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Andy Reid was 55 when he got hired by the Chiefs. Belichick is 72.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
He'll get a job coaching somewhere eventually, but he didn't have any options this year because of Kraft's influence basically blacklisting him from the team that wanted him initially (Falcons) and other teams not wanting him because of his baggage (age, lack of structuring an efficient offense without Brady, multiple failures from his coaching/staff tree, etc.)

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think he'll get another job next season if he wants it. Besides Kraft fucking him over this season, a trend developed between coaches who kept their jobs or were hired in the NFL, where headstrong, "my way or the highway" coaches … Belichick, Vrabel, Flores, and others, did not get jobs this offseason. Meanwhile coaches perceived to be "company men," or push overs for ownership, either kept their jobs or were hired — Mayo in New England, Canales in Carolina, Dan Quinn, and Jerry keeping around McCarthy.

The only headstrong, stubborn veteran coach who got hired was Harbaugh, but I think that's a special situation where the perceived QB whispering coach is coming back to the NFL having done it all in college.

Biggest problem is age, but if the Cowboys fail next season, I think Jerry will call. But without a decent QB I dunno if Belichick wants to bother there. IMO this would have been the year. Giants, Bears, Bills all seem possible for belichick for 2025 if some team really underperforms this season.

Reid and Belichick are pretty different. Reid was hired in KC over a decade ago when he was in his 50s, closer in age to when Belichick was hired in New England in 2000 (BB was 48 in 2000, Reid was in his mid 50s when he was hired in KC)

Last edited:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Cowboys are probably his last shot if they underperform this season and Jerry Jones gets desperate. He's 72 and has been bad the last 4-5 seasons, while making absolutely mind bogglingly bad roster and personnel decisions. Every single sign points to him being washed and most teams/front offices probably see that.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
He will when the Browns absolutely collapse this season and ownership cleans house.

Full circle, blood in blood out.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
Bill is old and asks for a lot regarding the team at least rumors say that. If the Giants are horrible this year I can see him doing one last ride with the Giants but he gonna be collecting money from Mannings company now.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Belichick is done.

His post Brady spell in New England was a disaster of management. His choices for co-ordinators was baffling, his offense was awful, his drafting was bad.

He will probably never coach in the NFL again at any level. He is 72. Time to retire.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Still can't believe the Falcons didn't at least take a chance on him.

The dude is the greatest football coach of all time. Your franchise has never won a Super Bowl. You just traded for an aging QB. The team is gonna have to rebuild in a few years no matter the result. Why not have the greatest coach of all time on the sidelines. Say what you want about him but the dude still has the highest potential ceiling in the league outside of maybe Andy Reid.

Why would you not take a chance on him? It just doesn't make sense.

A lot of aging/washed narrative could have been applied to Tom Brady before he went to the Bucs. In fact Tom Brady is on record saying there wasn't a lot of interest in him when he left the Patriots. It's just mind boggling to not at least take the shot at a GOAT especially for a franchise that has sucked for so long.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
You could say its ageism, but Andy Reid is not a young guy and Belichek has a better resume. So I'm not sure it's ageism.

Not sure he does- Reid currently holds the record for most wins for both the Eagles and the chiefs. Three Superbowl wins with the chiefs aside, he took Philadelphia to the NFC conference championship 5 times and a Superbowl.

Also worth mentioning is that his long time offensive coordinator (Doug Pederson) left Kansas City for Philadelphia in 2016 and in his second season won Superbowl LII two years later.

Clearly whatever system Reid has works, and works pretty well with a wide variety of personnel.

Belichick has a slightly better win record overall (.647 to .641) but his record without Brady isnt great. Belichicks coaching tree on the other hand has some notorious busts on it- Daboll, Crennel, Patricia, McDaniels. Whatever success was happening up in New England clearly wasn't because of them, and didn't transfer with them to other teams.

Not that anyone in their right mind would replace the coach who just won their third SB for any reason short of murder, but in a hypothetical situation where you had to bring in one of the two to take over an ENTIRELY new football team and hope for the best, Reid looks a lot better here.

Last edited:

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Would he even consider a college job? He would have total control and it might be his only chance to coach.

NativeTongue

Oct 4, 2023
NYC
People typically don't go back in power. You don't go from having complete say and power in an organization to just being a head coach

Jun 10, 2018
While I do think his post-Brady performance is apart of it, it's mainly his age.

No one can convince me if Bill was 10 years younger he wouldn't have a job right now. Because then owners could say "he'll be here for the next 10 years with the next franchise QB".

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
I simply think his attitude and coaching style doesn't connect with this generation of players. You see the kind of coaches that are getting hired in this cycle. They're trying to go after the DeMeco Ryans, Dan Campbells, and Sean McVays of the world. Those positive and energetic motivators. You also see the theme of wanting coaches and GMs to be more like true partnerships.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
I doubt the NFL will give him another shot unless a HC just completely collapses despite a solid roster. I would like to see him go to college. His attitude and approach would likely fit better there than modern NFL.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure he does- Reid currently holds the record for most wins for both the Eagles and the chiefs. Three Superbowl wins with the chiefs aside, he took Philadelphia to the NFC conference championship 5 times and a Superbowl.

Also worth mentioning is that his long time offensive coordinator (Doug Pederson) left Kansas City for Philadelphia in 2016 and in his second season won Superbowl LII two years later.

Clearly whatever system Reid has works, and works pretty well with a wide variety of personnel.

Belichick has a slightly better win record overall (.647 to .641) but his record without Brady isnt great. Belichicks coaching tree on the other hand has some notorious busts on it- Daboll, Crennel, Patricia, McDaniels. Whatever success was happening up in New England clearly wasn't because of them, and didn't transfer with them to other teams.

Not that anyone in their right mind would replace the coach who just won their third SB for any reason short of murder, but in a hypothetical situation where you had to bring in one of the two to take over an ENTIRELY new football team and hope for the best, Reid looks a lot better here.

He absolutely does, it's not really worth trying to argue outside of recency bias. Taking Brady away from Belichick is like taking Mahomes and McNabb away from Reid - absolutely asinine.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Tom Brady left the Pats because of Belichick, then they've been a mess ever since. He's 72 and while he's still a good defensive mind, his performance is inseparable from Brady. His drafts are always questionable, post-Brady he hasn't proven he can recruit or build out a competent staff and his former owner hates him. Pre-Brady he was a good coach but that was almost a quarter of a century ago.

He'll probably get a job as a defensive consultant at some point, but he's certainly not getting another HC job and DC is highly questionable.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Tom Brady left the Pats because of Belichick, then they've been a mess ever since. He's 72 and while he's still a good defensive mind, his performance is inseparable from Brady. His drafts are always questionable, post-Brady he hasn't proven he can recruit or build out a competent staff and his former owner hates him. Pre-Brady he was a good coach but that was almost a quarter of a century ago.

He'll probably get a job as a defensive consultant at some point, but he's certainly not getting another HC job and DC is highly questionable.

His drafts for offensive talent were terrible, he consistently got good defensive players out of the draft, and even in down years was turning in defenses that were close to league leading.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
His drafts for offensive talent were terrible, he consistently got good defensive players out of the draft, and even in down years was turning in defenses that were close to league leading.
No disagreements there but the dude is a defensive genius completely changing scheme from game to game based on the opposition. He was wildly unpredictable for offensive playcallers in his prime.

Unfortunately, it's an offensive heavy league these days and his record there is to put it bluntly, very rough. Brady covered up a lot of those deficiencies but even if a team were to hire him as HC now, he's always typically built through the draft and cheap FA's, that's a 5 year plan, time that doesn't really align well with his age.

Jun 10, 2018
He absolutely does, it's not really worth trying to argue outside of recency bias. Taking Brady away from Belichick is like taking Mahomes and McNabb away from Reid - absolutely asinine.
But even without those guys, Reid still has a resume which includes turning around the Chiefs by rehabbing Alex Smith.

Alex Smith who, at worst, considered a massive disappointment, lost his job to Kaepernick, and was not at all thought of as an efficient, was then made to look like an MVP-caliber QB under Reid.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

You're misconstruing what I'm saying.

One of them has an extremely successful track record with two different franchises, and has successfully mentored an assistant into a super bowl winning head coach for a third team.

The other one has only had success with the patriots, and then only with Brady. Post Brady his record is a lot worse. He also has no track record of mentoring anyone else to the same level.

Their win percentage is nearly identical at .647 vs .641, but Reid will easily pass that in a year or two unless something insane happens.

If the question is "who has more Superbowls" it's obviously Bill, but a resume of "who is the better coach" goes to Reid.

Oct 28, 2017
I do not. He has three things working against him. His age. His personnel and coaching moves over the course of the last two seasons, and his desire for power and control. Plus, he has always been a dick. That is all well and good when you are bringing home 6 rings, but it becomes a lot less tolerable when you start having consecutive losing seasons.

I can't see any GM that values their job bringing him in and inviting that headache into their professional lives. I think his only opportunity will come if Jerry realizes that he is his best shot at seeing another Cowboy Super Bowl win before his time draws to a close.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
You're misconstruing what I'm saying.

One of them has an extremely successful track record with two different franchises, and has successfully mentored an assistant into a super bowl winning head coach for a third team.

The other one has only had success with the patriots, and then only with Brady. Post Brady his record is a lot worse. He also has no track record of mentoring anyone else to the same level.

Their win percentage is nearly identical at .647 vs .641, but Reid will easily pass that in a year or two unless something insane happens.

If the question is "who has more Superbowls" it's obviously Bill, but a resume of "who is the better coach" goes to Reid.

More wins and more Superbowls is a compelling argument for who's the "better coach". Especially when their h2h records in the playoffs and Superbowl is what it is.

You're going to have to settle for "Reid is a better coach currently," and hope he wins two more SBs before he retires to make a formidable claim for all time.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
More wins and more Superbowls is a compelling argument for who's the "better coach". Especially when their h2h records in the playoffs and Superbowl is what it is.

You're going to have to settle for "Reid is a better coach currently," and hope he wins two more SBs before he retires to make a formidable claim for all time.

No, because coaches obviously don't win Superbowls by themselves. Player skill, budgets, and a lot of luck (freak injuries that derail seasons happen constantly) are involved.

"More wins" is accounted for by win percentage. Belichick has more wins, but also more losses. In terms of percentage the two are nearly the same.

I also didn't say anything about "all time." I just said Reid's coaching resume looks better- specifically in a hypothetical situation where you had to bring in one of the two to coach a completely new team to success.

Last edited:

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
No, because coaches obviously don't win Superbowls by themselves. Player skill, budgets, and a lot of luck (freak injuries that derail seasons happen constantly) are involved.

I also didn't say anything about "all time." I just said Reid's coaching resume looks better- specifically in a hypothetical situation where you had to bring in one of the two to coach a completely new team to success.

If you had to start fresh now, I agree with you. Not historically, and certainly not at getting the most out of less.

It takes a lot of luck to win a Superbowl, and it's certainly not transferable or linear, which is why I find your argument about coaching trees insignificant. (Pederson was fired not long after the SB win, and his current Jaguars are seen as regressing. But he'll always have that 2017 SB feather in his cap.) But yet and still Belicheck led his respective team to the ultimate goal of every single head coach in the league twice as many times as Reid, so that success is absolutely a credit to him, despite all the moving parts that go into it. Same as his failures post Brady rest on his head.

I personally find it far more impressive that Belicheck has won superbowls across multiple eras of the NFL far more than Reid only crossing the finish line in the one that most suits his particular coaching ethos, but they both have impressive resumes and are among the best to ever do it.

Only one of them is the best to ever do it.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Unless Jerry Jones pulls the trigger I think he's out. It's the same issue my grandfather ran into when he was laid off from his job many years ago at 74. It doesn't matter how good the resume looks. If they notice your age they start to wonder if you even plan to stay there for more than 2 years before you retire.