Will more change in the next five years than in the last 30?

• Yes, the rate of change is going to increase substantially. More change in the next 5 than last 30.

Votes: 35 20.0%
  • No, whilst the rate of change is increasing significantly, it's not that much

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • No, I don't think the rate of change is increasing significantly in general

Votes: 65 37.1%

• Total voters

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
The UK prime minister has held a pre-election speech this morning. Obviously it's very UK based but one comment would likely apply globally, and I want to see what people think.

I feel a profound sense of urgency because more will change in the next five years than in the last 30," he (Sunak, UK PM) has said.

So with regards to war(s), geopolitics, emergence and use of advanced A.I, shakeups in energy industries in response to climate change, the impacts of climate change itself, potential mass immigration, would you say he is right?

Five years keeps us just before 2030. More change from now until then, when compared from 1994-2024?

TaxiDriver

Oct 30, 2017
Really hard to measure since I wasn't born 30 years ago, but I think that world isn't changing that much faster.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Nope, AI is more hype although still very useful.

I actually believe "change" has reduced a lot from 2015 to now. I mean, at least to me, as a brazillian, from the 90's until 2015 feels like 2 completely different realities.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
No. This is just someone resorting to their usual tactic of scaremongering to cling onto their last vestiges of power by saying that they're the person to lead us through these supposed big changes.

Stiletto

Jan 4, 2023
Late 90s and early-mid 00s was a drastic change for our species with widespread adoption of personal computing & home internet. Don't think we will see anything like that in next 5 years, even if AI will have a big impact.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
The rate of change/advancement does speed up but I don't think the rate would mean we'll advance more in the next five year than the past 30. Past ten, definitely, maybe even past 15. It's pretty terrifying either way, not knowing what the near future will bring and how it will affect us.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I would not trust the UK PM with anything, much less his theorizing on our future.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly. I think the amount of change itself in the world will be greatly influenced by who wins the 2024 US election. Mainly because that would also determine the fate of NATO and relationships with China, Russia, and the Middle East.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
30 years ago, almost nobody had the internet. Mobile phones did not exist. Windows 3.1 and MS-DOS were the leading operating systems of computers. Most of us printed our documents on dot-matrix printers.

The computer revolution was well underway 30 years ago, but oh my how far we've come.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The internet and home computers weren't particularly widespread 3 decades ago, almost nobody had mobile phones let alone smartphones not being invented for a long time yet.

While change will definitely still be happening, even AI is unlikely to get anywhere close to the computer revolution.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The UK prime minister has held a pre-election speech
hiding-turn-over.gif

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
The only change Sunak's gonna see is him getting booted out of Number 10 before, regrettably, getting to sun himself in California for the rest of his days.

He's a delusional AI tech bro who is all in on the kool-aid, so of course he's think that, but he's delusional.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like we're gonna try this AI thing for awhile and see where it goes. Kinda predictable and boring.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Well the tories have been in power for roughly the last half of those 30 years, so yes, the next 5 are going to look very different on that count at least.

Mostly, he's just trying to use "change" as a boogeyman. Which rarely works well. "Change" as a campaign focus typically works better when framed as a positive. Obama ran on that, Macron ran on it for his first term, and Labour are seeing huge success with it (largely because the people of the UK really really do want to see change politically). So trying to run a negative change campaign against a positive change campaign probably won't end well for Sunak.

I was also giggling at the rehashed Cameron slogan that Sunak rolled out here, saying Britain is faced with a choice between a strong leader in him, and a weak leader in Keir. He's seriously going to try "strong and stable with X or chaos with Y." And I get it. That worked well before. But I mean... no bacon sandwich this time. And if there is going to be a bacon sandwich moment I think it might be for the tories this time.

BYAHCfEzEWgJySohGE.webp

ybULxWGy0iMy3uNtZA.webp

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I very much doubt it. Make it 10 to 20 years and I could see an argument for it. But five years is just too short of a time to exceed the change wrought by the mass adoption of home computing, the internet and mobile phones (and them merging to smart phones).
Never mind the bits specific to brits that happened in the last 30 years, like them quitting the EU out of sheer idiocy.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Unless in 5 years AI advances so rapidly we see self driving cars and humans put into capitalism destroying massive layoffs that make 2024 gaming layoffs look like, I really can't see the next 5 years being bigger then the last 30.

The internet and smart phones are two of the biggest culture/reality warping inventions in human history.

Oct 30, 2017
i think AI is going to change a lot of things in the next five years, but as much as the mainstream adoption of the internet? no

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Yeah, it's 2024, the last 30 years includes a bunch of stuff that really changed the world, for the next 5 to do even more, it's either AI that's so advanced that it's the "why do I even need these blobs of mostly water around" kind, or even worse, climate change / war.

Dec 30, 2020
I think a lot of idiots are going to try to make their shitty businesses even shittier with dead-end, self-devouring AI in the next five years and they'll complain when their user base vanishes that people changed too much.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Technologically: Yes.
Socially: No (we're even going backwards...)

So, no poll options are really for me here. The technology is going incredibly fast - in any domain - but our rights are crumbling away: no proper right to reapair, abusive TOS that strips us our rights, warranty scams / blackmail, living conditions, trans rights, women rights, blatant genocide that goes unpunished, price to even get a roof on your head, etc...

(I can link to a ton of stuff for the TOS example but linking to anything from the YouTube channel could get my account ban because some of their views clashes directly with the forums' rules: piracy)

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
The last 15 years have been change for the worse in the UK, with the main driver being "austerity" at every turn. The fat was trimmed long ago, the muscles stripped and now they are hacking at the bones of society.
If somehow the Tories get in again then change will be unimaginable cruelty against the majority of the UK from poor&working to LGBT to disablity to everyone that doesn't have £1mil spare. The Tories policies have killed over 300k before covid (https://www.theguardian.com/busines...great-britain-linked-to-austerity-finds-study). Labour have two choices, tax rises and funding public services, or emulate the Tories and kill off people through policy... Starmer is leaning heavily on the second option.

Technology wise, the landscape can change overnight so who knows. The excessive use of destroying/buying up any competitor to your business has accelerated to the point that your choices are big global mega corp or massive global mega corp. We are seeing small gains YoY in hardware and software, or technology with no benefits to using such as "AI". Maybe something exciting will happen, but from this side of that product I don't see what it could be.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Sunak saying that is enough to convince me it won't.

It's a fear-mongering speech that is targeting his core Conservative demographic: rich mostly white middle-aged to older people who are afraid of all change no matter how slight

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
No I highly doubt it, companies are trying to latch on to AI as the next gold rush but its really not what its hyped up to be