• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Nintendo Buy Platinum Games?

• Yes

Votes: 713 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,697 70.4%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
A bit of a controversial topic that pops up from time to time, but I think with recent news it warrants discussing again.

Nintendo just revealed Astral Chain, a new game for Switch created by Platinum Games which Nintendo co-owns the IP with (exact same as The Wonderful 101). And it's already due in a few months on August 30th worldwide I think. Bayonetta 3 for Switch is also still in development, reconfirmed right after the Astral Chain trailer in the Direct. We also just got ports of Bayonetta 1 and 2 about a year ago on Switch.

Platinum's had some rough spots over the past bit, some larger than others. Most significant is of course the cancellation of Scalebound which was being developed with Microsoft. Most recently their involvement came seemingly to an abrupt end with Granblue Fantasy Re:link. Some say it was a natural end of the contract, others seem to point out how odd the whole thing was presented, what with Platinum's name just being wiped from the game (going by the website) and everything, plus this was announced, and why would it if the contract was just casually finished? Plus I've folks here bring up that their mobile game World of Demons has been a no-show as well. Finally, I recall reading that the next Nier game is being made in-house at Square-Enix (is this correct?). A lot is my observation and from reading comments other than the Scalebound stuff, so feel free to correct me on any of the points I made. I may very well be mis-remembering bits, I deeply apologize if so.

Back to Nintendo. Nintendo literally saved Bayonetta 2 from outright cancellation. They as mentioned also worked with Platinum on The Wonderful 101 on Wii U, and also worked with Platinum Games on Star Fox Zero. So they've been quite close over the last near 7 years, with The Wonderful 101 being their first collab known back at E3 2012.

My argument is this; Platinum to me isn't exactly in a stable condition in terms of guarantee projects and the like without something happening. Everything they've done with Nintendo has come out without hitches (Star Fox Zero was more Nintendo's fault if anything). And as we've seen with Monolith Soft, Nintendo can legit take a 3rd-party developer to new heights. I vividly remember folks being on the floor laughing when it was announced that Nintendo had bought Monolith Soft from Bandai Namco, saying that Nintendo got ripped off. I think the results since speak for themselves. :P

As far as I'm aware, Platinum's only other game in the works is Babylon's Fall with Square-Enix again, also set for this year. Will that come out fine and on schedule? It's likely, but would it not have been shown more by now? Seemingly it's been absent since E3 2018. It'll likely be shown at E3 2019 and released by the end of year, typical stuff, so I wouldn't worry about it. PlaystationLifeStyle says that SE told 4Gamer that they hope to show more soon, so there's that.

But yeah, that's basically it. Would you want Nintendo to buy Platinum Games if they basically got the exact same treatment as Monolith Soft and kept their great streak of games, and maybe even expand to include a support team as well (like Monolith Soft Kyoto)? Trust me, I know folks on non-Nintendo consoles won't like the idea, but this is all speculative and I'm interested in discussing the idea and what potential it could have if something like this ever happened.

Again if I got any points wrong, let me know and I apologize if so. I hope I've provided a well-worded argument about why I personally think Nintendo should buy Platinum Games.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
No, there's no need at all from Nintendo's end as they can just partner with them on games like Astral Chain and Star Fox. Besides, Platinum have made it very clear they want to stay independent.

I don't know what it is with fanboys clamouring for well-off independent developers being devoured by these big companies but it's fucking dumb, especially as PlatinumGames are clearly fine with collaborating with publishers on certain projects. Shit's almost as bad as people wanting Sony to buy Insomniac...

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It wouldn't be the worst move for either but I think Platinum likes their freedom and Nintendo would prefer to buy someone who actually owned their IP.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
No. I'd rather have an independent Platinum that can work with anyone that isn't hand cuffed to Nintendo's platform.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why would they? Platinum is clearly happy to work with them on exclusives as a third party. The only reason I would say yes is if it was either that or Platinum going under.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No and there is absolutely no need to. Nintendo's getting plenty of value from them as is and Platinum continues to receive work from other publishers beyond just Nintendo.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Platinum want to be bought and I don't think Nintendo want to buy them. Maybe if they had a really long partnership where their philosophies started to align, it could happen but I think Platinum have their niche.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Nah, let PlatinumGames have their freedom. They can always work with Nintendo on a case-by-case basis.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
You have an odd obsession of Nintendo going out and buying developers left and right haha.
This won't happen, Nintendo doesn't have a history or interest of buying out developers.
And it is a waste of money, contract work is far cheaper.

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
I think I would rather have square enix buy them so they have someone who can make better action RPGs.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't serve Nintendo's bottom line to pick up every studio they have a good relationship with. Nintendo has a high earning per employee ratio in part because they don't own companies like TPC and Platinum.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Platinum want to be bought and I don't think Nintendo want to buy them. Maybe if they had a really long partnership where their philosophies started to align, it could happen but I think Platinum have their niche.
Even then they wouldn't need to buy them. Look at Intelligent Systems, HAL, Ape/Creatures, indieszero, Camelot, etc, etc.

Feb 26, 2018
I don't like that new idea of BIg 3 buying 3rd party studios. But most importantly I don't want Platinum stuck on underpowered hardware

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
no i want to be able the play the next nier game on a more capable enough hardware (be it playstation on PC, their PC port was pretty bad though, so still i would want it on playstation).

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
i've read this before..

Sony should buy Insomniac
Sony Should buy Blue Point
Nintendo should buy PlatinumGames

What do we gain on this? (we the players)

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. No need buy devs when you have strong existing relationships. Kind of like Sony and Insomniac.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nah, independent platinum and case by case partnerships seem to be working

the only reason they should be bought is if they run into financial trouble and can no longer produce quality software independently

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Only in the situation that Platinum goes bankrupt, I like Platinum-Square as much as Platinum-Nintendo

Oct 27, 2017
I would observe that PlatinumGames has found its two biggest success so far with Konami (Metal Gear Rising) and Square Enix (NieR Automata), on games that are running pretty much everywhere except on Nintendo systems. Outside of Babylon's Fall, they are most likely doing a new NieR right now with Square Enix and the Taro/Saito pair.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Assuming there was a scenario that stipulates the need of Platinum being bought, then yes (even though I don't really like their output). But I also think there are far better suited studios out there whose acquisition could benefit Nintendo more than enlarging themselves with yet another Japanese component.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I do not know how it would be beneficial for Nintendo. As they are, they can order all the games they see necessary.

I would only see it well if Platinum Games was at a serious risk of bankruptcy.