• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
4l33x50dmr531.png
breath-of-the-wild-invasion-concept.jpg.optimal.jpg

First off, the lovecraftian type enemies look like some of the creepiest enemies that have ever been in a Zelda game, imo it would give the game a darker vibe then Majora's Mask. The teaser trailer that we got at E3 already gives off a darker Zelda then BOTW and so I wonder if this is something Aonuma and the Zelda team will want to put in the BOTW2.

As for the Aliens, there have been Aliens in Zelda before in Majora's Mask (Romani Ranch), so it's not unheard of, do you think Nintendo will push it and have an actual Alien invasion? Or maybe it's something that will be the major plotline for BOTW3?

What do you think?

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Cosmic horror is something that would fit the Zelda universe to a T. I mean, Majora's is a bit of that already.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I doubt we'll ever see those exact designs in any game, but with the seeming darker tone we're getting and a potential underworld, I think it's more likely that we'll see inspiration from them than the whole invasion idea.

That one creature with all the chains reminds me a lot of how mummydorf is bound.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
not feeling it. give me some tough underworld monsters though. old school moblins and the like.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
From the trailer is looks like we will some creepy stuff, they will have to make it work with BOTWs art direction though. Can't really imagine does concepts working cellshaded.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel we'll definitely see some more horror elements pop up.

As for aliens.... I doubt it, but we might see creatures coming from above.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Art doesn't really look lovecraftian to me. It gives me more Stephen Gammell vibes than Lovecraft.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Mix it up. Worse thing you can do is be too precious with these long running legacy series.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'd like some more "super" enemies that are huge like those concepts so for sure.

Maybe with Ganondorf getting revived a lot of older Zelda enemies will get revived too with zombie-esque forms.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they should lean more into Jules Verne, like 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, and H.G. Wells's The War of the Worlds.

EarlyDivineBeasts.jpg

Magicmilner

Alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
This would be really cool (Lovecraftian enemies) but I would like the Aliens thing to be more of a hidden thing....like you see a UFO floating around in the sky every now and then. Maybe they could even have the Alien thing as an optional side quest.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yes because of that concept where it shows Link transforming his arm seems to be what is hinted in the new trailer. They are definitely going back and looking at unused concept for BOTW.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Well they already have seemingly used two of the concepts they showed off as BotW ideas, in Link with the magical/mechanical hand and Hyrule Castle raising/Ganondorf standing on top of a floating mountain, so it's possible they use some other cut ideas like these. I really hope they do.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about the UFOs, but those monsters are cooler than anything in the actual game.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
i would really like some cosmic horror in zelda. Ocarina kind of came close with things like dead hand.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Those designs are certainly different from the usual Zelda monster aesthetic, but I cannot ever see Nintendo going full cosmic horror. Unless they finally give us that Eternal Darkness sequel...

Oct 25, 2017
I would expect something closer to that. Not exactly cosmic horror but similar in tone to the looming apocalypse in Majoras Mask or the twilight realm

Zedelima

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I think there will be scarier monsters (i even think that some will be in the shadow of colossus style) but no UFOS

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Majora's Mask already had UFOs so it'd be a cute throwback to that

more importantly, they need to give Ganondorf his Metallica T-shirt

Jan 4, 2018
What about them ?

1561247601-skisruv.png

"But also according to legend, long ago there was a race even closer to the gods, and some say THESE creatures made the Hylians. When they created the people of Hylia, they simultaneously created a new capital, a city that floated in the heavens. They dwelt there...and some scholars believe that this race lives there still, somewhere in the great sky ."

"Another theory states that the Oocca were originally a highly evolved race that created many of the "divine" structures across Hyrule, but years of isolation made them devolve into the weak forms they now hold "

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I say add all the weird shit that they come up with as long as it's well implemented in the game.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about them ?

1561247601-skisruv.png

"But also according to legend, long ago there was a race even closer to the gods, and some say THESE creatures made the Hylians. When they created the people of Hylia, they simultaneously created a new capital, a city that floated in the heavens. They dwelt there...and some scholars believe that this race lives there still, somewhere in the great sky ."

"Another theory states that the Oocca were originally a highly evolved race that created many of the "divine" structures across Hyrule, but years of isolation made them devolve into the weak forms they now hold "
That's actually a mistranslation. The Oocca didn't create the people of Hylia, they founded Hyrule and the city in the sky after the Goddesses created the world and its people. They are considered closer to the Gods than Hylians though.

Jan 15, 2019
I don't think they'd design enemies quite like that, nor would I really want them to. I do think BotW2 will be darker, just... not like that.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think they should lean more into Jules Verne, like 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, and H.G. Wells's The War of the Worlds.

EarlyDivineBeasts.jpg

See now this I would love to see and is a big reason why I do actually hope the Divine Beasts come back in the sequel (alongside traditional dungeons of course). They don't even have to be the "main" part of the game, they could just have them be extras you can accomplish to get additional abilities or powers.

I just really want to see those things roaming around. Imagine being able to explore underwater and just stumbling across that whale one deep in the depths. Chills, man!

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017

First of all, this concept art is sick. Less keen on explicit alien iconography in Zelda; Termina just about got away with it due to the off-kilter, dreamlike tone of the world.

Also, that fat spider thing greatly resembles the demon from Mononoke, which in turn inspired the Guardians.

hqdefault.jpg

Don't forget what that demon did to Ashitaka's arm...

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Whilst cosmic horror would be amazing, and I get there is an argument to be made for eldritch shit to pop up in this game if the theme of descent is really what they'll be exploring, I think it's safe to say there is a bunch of directions they can take with regards to the concept of the death and the undead in this world. Apart from the Champions, and Stalfos, death and what follows doesn't really get established well enough, to the point that by the time you finish the story, every notable character - especially the dead ones - are active and relevant, a fact that doesn't even seem to require an explanation other than "it's magic". Cut to this reveal trailer, with heavy allusions to the life or soul energy through its colour scheme, and a reanimated corpse of what clearly appears to be Ganondorf, and the knowledge that despite having been a mainstay theme of the Zelda series, antagonistic forces from the dead are mainly absent from this Hyrule... until the Princess and Link disturbed them. I expect undead theming to be the main focus of the enemies in this game.