Will Mario be able to live up to the unprecedented quality of the Sonic movies?

• Never

Votes: 32 12.4%
  • Definitely not

Votes: 95 36.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 132 51.0%

• Total voters

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
To everyones surprise, the Sonic movie turned out pretty decent and was warm enough received. The second movies trailer was received really well and I think its easily on track to become the first really good video game movie.

Now the question is, will Mario be able to compete with his film? Mario has had the lead in gaming for the most part, but unlike Sonic, he has yet to prove his cinematic viability.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's from the people that made this.

minions-despicable-me.gif

Almost certainly not.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
in a weird way, I think Sonic may translate better to a movie then Mario. I could be wrong though!

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Who'd have thought the 90s Mario vs Sonic debate would have been settled in a movie?

The answer of course, is Sonic.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
2 no options and 1 maybe option. Super.

But realistically Sonic cannot compete with the expert portrayal Bob Hoskins provided for Mario back in the 90s. All video game movies have suffered since that time.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
The Mario movie will be prettier and more visually faithful to the source material, but who knows whether it'll be better in the story department or not. Illumination really doesn't make bad movies; Despicable Me 1 and 2 are genuinely great, and despite the oversaturation of those characters, Minions is sort of middling at best. They just have this tendency to make stuff that feels very Hollywood centric, with lots of modern pop songs and actors that give it a more cynical marketing feel. Mario's story is also much, much harder to translate on-screen than Sonic, unless they start pulling from the RPGs, which I doubt. Mario would have been better suited for a series of animated shorts rather than a feature, imo.

That being said, it's not like the original Sonic movie was some masterpiece, it was just Pretty Good, so I could see it going either way. I expect Sonic 2 to be pretty dope though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not in the exact same way.

I think the best course of action for a Mario movie is to go the direction of the Lego movie; comedy about Mario and video games as opposed to what passes for self-awareness these days. The inclusion of Foreman Spike of all characters gives me hope in that regard.

post the greentext already

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
In terms of succes or quality? I think due to who is making the movie Mario will be quite big.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
funnily enough Sonic translates into film/TV series a lot better because the characters have more depth and lore than Mario

Oct 28, 2017
I have played many Sonic games where I have been invested in the characters, the story or the lore. I have never once played a Mario game where I gave two shits about any of these. Sonic just translates to the big screen better.

Oct 28, 2017
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 2021
Werewolves Within (kinda funny)
Sonic
Angry Birds
Any Pokemon movie
Rachet and Clank (not too bad)
Silent Hill (not bad)
Detective Pikachu

At worst I wouldn't say any of them suck.
I would add the first Tomb Raider movie to that. And the reboot was decent too. Not great, but not bad. First Resident Evil movie was alright as well to be honest.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Rachet and Clank (not too bad)

Eh, I have to disagree with this one. They completely butcher Ratchet's character and journey (since this is supposed to be a retelling of the first game). Also manages to ruin Clank and Quark by association. They take an uneasy alliance between the title characters, and turn it into the most bland and inoffensive plot known to man... Its not even as funny as the original game was either.

I still love the original Mortal Kombat though, even just for the fight scenes.

Secret Bambino

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Mar 21, 2021
As movies, both are most likely going to suck.
The Sonic 2 trailer had the most cookie cutter jokes that one could think of. The Tails and Knuckles portrayals are the only things that looked kind of fun. Also, can't wait for the Olive Garden jokes…
The Mario movie is being made by Illumination, so… you know…

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
Everybody in this thread saying video game movies suck clearly has not seen the Fatal Frame movie, a fantastic female-directed queer horror film that has basically nothing to do with Fatal Frame at all but stands entirely on its own merits.

The entire thing is on YouTube for free too, so there's no excuse.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
As an animated movie from a well-known studio, I expect a certain quality that movies like Sonic or Detective Pikachu can't achieve in the first place.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting Illumination humors and so am already disappointed.
Everybody in this thread saying video game movies suck clearly has not seen the Fatal Frame movie, a fantastic female-directed queer horror film that has basically nothing to do with Fatal Frame at all but stands entirely on its own merits.

The entire thing is on YouTube for free too, so there's no excuse.
I tried to watch that movie for so long, but could never find it.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who didnt really find the sonic movie good, just an absolute meh mascot style movie.

The mario movie is sadly gonna be worse because its iluminations. Its gonna be mediocre in its animation, like all their movies, its gonna have the typical fart jokes because every movie theyve made has them, its all gonna be drived by celbrity casting as we already know that will not sound even slightly like the real characters that already exist, and mainly because its a movie thats gonna be drived by marketing departments and shitty producers, not actual directors that want to make a great movie.

And Miyamoto being there inspires me even less confidence, he was actually the one that chose it instead of dreamworks, that was a real option, brcause universal told them they were cheap and profitable (and probably in the lines of everyone likes their movies, look how many money they make).

Koizumi would have been the perfect candidate in my head to oversee this movie, and with a totally different animation studio AND ab actual director we knew was attacthed because of his passion and has shown his craftmanshop already in other loved animated movies or shows.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
Sonic is a much easier franchise to work with since the characters all talk, have established personalities, and exist in the "real world." Jim Carrey as Eggman does a lot of heavy lifting. If the Mario movie is fully animated then I guess that changes things a bit.

What do people even want out of a Mario movie? The titular character is basically a blank slate mute with no real story. It's one degree removed from trying to make a PacMan movie.

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic is a much easier franchise to work with since the characters all talk, have established personalities, and exist in the "real world." Jim Carrey as Eggman does a lot of heavy lifting. If the Mario movie is fully animated then I guess that changes things a bit.

What do people even want out of a Mario movie? The titular character is basically a blank slate mute with no real story. It's one degree removed from trying to make a PacMan movie.
Not a movie but..

MV5BYmM5YmIwMDktNmU0Yy00YTcyLWJlY2YtMGI4MDVhMzlhZjlkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM5NDQzNTk@._V1_.jpg

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like the sonic movie, so yes.
i'm sure mario will reflect much more the real game environment which is already a win (and shame with the sonic movie)

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And Miyamoto being there inspires me even less confidence, he was actually the one that chose it instead of dreamworks, that was a real option, brcause universal told them they were cheap and profitable (and probably in the lines of everyone likes their movies, look how many money they make).

If you were to pick one studio just to make the most money, Illumination was always the pick, there films were some of the highest grossing the business and also made on fairly small budgets for Animation as well. So from a business point they are always the obvious pick.

But man, from an Artistic Standpoint it's a shame they didn't go with Dreamworks. We just had a Trailer drop for The Bad Guys and that looks so good.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

And Illumination isn't going to make a film that looks anywhere near as good as that. It's a shame.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who didnt really find the sonic movie good, just an absolute meh mascot style movie.

The mario movie is sadly gonna be worse because its iluminations. Its gonna be mediocre in its animation, like all their movies, its gonna have the typical fart jokes because every movie theyve made has them, its all gonna be drived by celbrity casting as we already know that will not sound even slightly like the real characters that already exist, and mainly because its a movie thats gonna be drived by marketing departments and shitty producers, not actual directors that want to make a great movie.

Koizumi would have been the perfect candidate in my head to oversee this movie, and with a totally different animation studio AND ab actual director we knew was attacthed because of his passion and has shown his craftmanshop already in other loved animated movies or shows.
I believe the Sony hack revealed that Nintendo was looking to partner with Sony Pictures Animation for a while too before picking Universal. Which is a real shame because Spider-Verse and Mitchells vs. the Machines have such incredible animation.