Oct 26, 2017
Google Glass was going to take over the world by giving people video game HUDs in day to day life and then it failed massively.

Are the creepiness and dorkiness factors too much for any company to overcome, or will a Google Glass++++++++ eventually give everyone video game HUDs.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of course, and many companies are working on better AR technology right now. It will probably be the next big thing once they can perfect the technology in an affordable product.

Google Glass was just killed by being a product bought only by early adopter hipsters with a camera on it that didn't give much reward for the annoyance it caused people.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a creepy idea for me to think of in regards to other people using it but I think I should be able to use it.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I could see it working as contact lenses. Unless they're SUPER discreet glasses most assuredly people who are seen in the wild with that kind of wearable tech will most likely draw looks and comments from people.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
It literally never launched, although it seemed like it did with as much as the press went nuts over it. But yes, its basically just AR'ish. Its clear that has a future. How far that is away from now though? Who knows.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to be able to document climate changes with a contact over my eye and loading it all into the cloud.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
When form factor of something like Magic Leap (not just a HUD but proper augmented reality capabilities) is down to regular eyeglasses, it'll absolutely take off. I've played with Magic Leap and it's pretty nuts having augmented reality in your field of vision like that.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Might as well be the first to post a Dennou Coil gif...

H9ysnVS.jpg

The idea will absolutely be revisited, there's too much potential (and advertising revenue / data tracking) not to. They'll probably make a big deal out of blocking recording with a node and/or at specific registered locations.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely, but probably when tech gets to the point where it can be fashioned as a contact lens or something. I imagine a sizable portion of the population will not want to deal with glasses.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, as soon as they can also manufacture a wearable that scrambles your image on everyone's google glass++++.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I definitely think mixed reality glasses are the future. More for home and office use though, I'm not convinced they will become omnipresent in the real world setting.

Though it has to be said that Google Glass was just introduced in the worst way possible. At the height of a surveillance scare and them only being available for high Google employees, instead of creating desirability, further cemented the idea that Silicon Valley thought itself (but was also making itself) better than the rest of the world. A tonedeafness about the ethical implications of transhumanism.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if it doesn't look goofy as hell like Google Glass did

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It's something I really want but how do you focus on something that close to your eyes?

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Of course. If we can get games more detailed than Pokemon Go onto those things people will be all over it. Myself included. If we can have real life public AR dungeon crawls or something I will never touch my PC or consoles ever again.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would like to see it integrated into my glasses, since my main problem with it was the tiny space it rendered. But on the other hand, if I saw my RL HP reaching critical level, I would probably get a heart attack that in turn eats my last remaining health points.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot about Google Glass. Why did it fail?
The FOV was small, it looked out of place, it was expensive as fuck, and it was generally a obvious 1st Gen product. That doesn't mean it saw great use in Factories and such though.

Next Gen AR Glasses that were seeing now like Focals is going to be amazing and probably change the future of Contextualized information, and I can't wait to see it.

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people are assholes in real life and don't want their actions easily recorded in a hidden way. That and the creeper factor. This is why I think AR is going to struggle gaining ground.

Just watch that surveillance guys videos on YouTube and you'll see just how much people like having their video taken in public especially without their knowledge.

Regardless of the alerts and protections they put on these there will be a huge black market for modded ones.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, I think it has huge potential. I don't know how much the tech for a good consumer product is there though. It needs to be sleek, comfortable, technically advanced and all of that while providing all day battery life. I'm looking forward to Apples attempt nonetheless since they're betting big on AR with their continuous improvements to ARKit. Glasses paired with the processing/graphics power of the iPhone and the Apple Watch could be good. I saw some concept ARKit project that expanded the info on your Watch to a AR space when you look at it a while ago for example. The Watch is also a good input device with a physical dial, buttons and a touch screen.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Yes. Worldwide augmented and virtual reality is the next step.

We will move forward technologically and it's the obvious step.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Glass' big problem was the recording bit. When you ran into someone with one, you knew they were recording everything you said and did, and it was creepy as fuck. Someday, we'll all have super-x-ray cameras built into our bowties and it won't be so glaringly obvious that you're gathering profile data on me that you can feed into your sex robot at home to enjoy fucking at your leisure. But right now, its kinda creepy.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
It'd have to be way sleeker than Glass was. Same with VR.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It could be big but it needs a killer app. Like maybe say a scouter that detects your power levels.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, devices like next gen Magic Leap and Hololens will be ubiquitous like smart phones, the world will be a hybrid place where its half internet half real life

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll happen sooner or later because of the money that could be had by collecting data at that level. Some company will make it and find a way to make it attractive to the public.

But I wouldn't want that technology precisely because of the privacy concerns. I don't want to go through life being recorded everywhere by everyone.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
When Apple releases a product like that.

Say what you will about Apple, and I know you all have lots to say, but their devices usually start a wave of mass-adoption. That's because they're timed right, and in a state of finish that people want to use.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glass was a cool idea but it made people look like dorks. If they make it similar to Tony Starks glasses, (or if Apple releases one) people will buy it.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
It's inevitable. Privacy concerns won't stop it since there are other highly appealing benefits. We'll have to adjust socially and legally to better manage their intrusiveness.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I know a lot of people see that as a bad, dystopian thing -- but damn that sounds cool to me.
I think that's because they see the internet with the limitations of today but with high speed networks not only will physical location matter less, your environment will be filled with things on the internet like pokemon or stylized overlays

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
All I want is contacts that turn my Pupil into a Sharingan for cool effect for halloween.

I think that the next step is to make google glass into something that can be less noticable and works with prescription glasses. First person to implement this properly on contacts will win me over.