Do you think we'll eventually see photoreal games this gen?

• Yup. Games that look like live-action movies are coming

Votes: 58 10.7%
  • They might get environments to look photoreal, but characters probably won't

Votes: 163 30.0%
  • Nah, they will still look animated, just better.

Votes: 254 46.8%
  • I feel that games that try too hard will just land in the uncanny valley

Votes: 68 12.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Games like God of War, RDR2, Death Stranding, Last of Us 2 etc. have really pushed graphical fidelity beyond what we thought was possible on these weak consoles. Now that we're getting powerful hardware in next gen consoles with Raytracing and SSDs, do you think any devs will be eventually able to develop games that just look real, kinda how good CGI looks real in movies?

Considering that the Hellblade 2 reveal trailer comes dangerously close, it might be a possibility.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe for rocks or something but I'll bet my left bun we're not gonna see any photorealistic people/organisms/what have you

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Environments? Sure. Particularly in smaller-scale games. Characters, no. Not even movies have defeated the Uncanny Valley yet.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, Hellblade II should be the baseline.

Yeah, if these are indeed in-game as advertised and games generally get better looking later on in every gen, then it's entirely possible.

bf88e9a6f78adebcca574b0a0f10404c28f0b22a.gifv

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Games will never look like real life. It's why realistic looking games never age well. They're always getting more detailed and that's the only measure for how good these games look, is how detailed they are.

nickfrancis86

Nov 10, 2017
Static scenes like the scapes from GT Sport or those UE4 house tech demos with super high res textures and backed baked in lighting already look pretty realistic. As soon as you add movement and animations it instantly looks computer generated. I don't think that'll change next gen, or even for many generations.

It takes significant resources and a long time to render cgi in films, it's impossible to get that fidelity in real time. A lot of cgi in films are rendered in 2K while the film is shot in 4K or above. This is purely done to save time on the rendering.

Last edited:

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
My jaw dropped when I saw Hellblade II. If the gen improves as it goes on... Damn.

Feb 10, 2018
Eventually we will be able to have real time graphics that looks no different to real life.
It's just a matter of time. No matter how slow the rate of improvement is. The slower the rate of improvement just extend the time it will take.
About 48yrs ago we had pong, now we have things like death stranding, gears 5, RDR2 etc

Tim sweeny thinks we will need 5000tflops to reach photo realism.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think so. Driving games certainly. Thinking about how good Resident Evil 2 looks I think all it will take is a game that's entirely first-person or the protagonist is fully covered.

For instance a Spider-Man 2 will absolutely have moments that look photoreal. If I had to guess a fully photoreal game would probably end up being something like Deep Down in scope.

Last edited:

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
Gran Turismo already provides it.
It willget better and better to the point that life itself will be something awful to live and see.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for sim racers chasing photorealism, butI think a stylised realism will be better for the non-racing games.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Eventually we will be able to have real time graphics that looks no different to real life.
It's just a matter of time. No matter how slow the rate of improvement is. The slower the rate of improvement just extend the time it will take.
About 48yrs ago we had pong, now we have things like death stranding, gears 5, RDR2 etc

Tim sweeny thinks we will need 5000tflops to reach photo realism.

Heh, I well remember that Sweeney quote. Had kinda forgotten it.

TBH though I want to ascribe importance to it, he probably pulled it out of his butt.

Anyways with next gen consoles we'll only be at ~12 TF :(

Ok One came out at ~1.3, so 10X. Can we have ~100+ TF next time? It seems hard to believe but then again gens have slowed down. 7 years is a long time.

If Moore's law isn't dead and Sweeney was right, we need about 3 more gen's. So 2027=~100TF, 2034=~1000TF, 2041=~10,000 TF? 20 years away.

But like was said just look at a NBA 2k and we seem close now...granted the crowds, stands etc need a lot of work.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not convinced that I'll see anything photoreal this coming generation but I am sure that I'll continue to be impressed by graphics.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who thinks that this hardware jump is enough to get us beyond flat-looking obviously fake foliage is not paying attention.

Maybe the generation after... assuming technological progress actually continues and doesn't just stall thanks to the myriad transistor shrinkage barriers.
It's silly to not think so when current gen consoles already have games that achieve photorealistic graphics.
Photorealistic by what metric?

Certainly, games like RDR have come very close to achieving this, but even it has extremely obvious telltale signs that scream "this is a video game!", and the only way to avoid it is by... not showing any foliage close to the screen.

Since the vast majority of the added computing resources will be used for things like ray-tracing effects and higher screen resolutions, I don't expect much movement on this front, and neither should you.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Very much depends on the scene. For any shot that has a person in it, I'd say no without taking into account animation.

ByWatterson

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some games will hit photorealism in environments and non-living objects (cars), and perhaps even some animals, but even Hollywood can't quite get CG humans right.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
The issue is even in high quality rendered CG cutscenes (Like Blizzard) and even hundred million dollar movies, it still looks fake. You cannot brute force realism just by specs. So no

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who thinks that this hardware jump is enough to get us beyond flat-looking obviously fake foliage is not paying attention.

Maybe the generation after... assuming technological progress actually continues and doesn't just stall thanks to the myriad transistor shrinkage barriers.
Photorealistic by what metric?

Certainly, games like RDR have come very close to achieving this, but even it has extremely obvious telltale signs that scream "this is a video game!", and the only way to avoid it is by... not showing any foliage close to the screen.

Since the vast majority of the added computing resources will be used for things like ray-tracing effects and higher screen resolutions, I don't expect much movement on this front, and neither should you.

Ray tracing would help sale photorealism. Also...you think the devs striving for visuals will crank it up to 8k and throw their hands up in frustration when they can't achieve what they want because of the resolution?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
What world are we living in that the current gen games don't already have photoreal looks to them. I've never seen a room more real-looking than the loopy hallway in P.T.

People always just want more smh

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Have you seen Flight Sim??
I have. It's absolutely ridiculous.
The issue is even in high quality rendered CG cutscenes (Like Blizzard) and even hundred million dollar movies, it still looks fake. You cannot brute force realism just by specs. So no
That's more due to artistic choice than any constraints. The Transformers are CGI but look real. Thanos looks real. The animals in The Lion King look real (until they start singing).

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Only in cutscenes, will characters look photorealistic. Certain topography will likely get there though. Just depends on how good streaming the assets on the new drives pans out.

What? None of the Marvel CGI characters look "real" yet. All iterations of the Hulk were terrible until recently, and even Thanos was terrible until Infinity War and Endgame, but he still more often than not looked obviously CGI.