• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vaelic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't but I know a few that do. Do you feel guilty turning these alerts off?

(Missing child alert, usually followed by a description of the kidnapper)

Last edited:

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how you can justify turning them off and not be considered a selfish asshole.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
don't think i have that option on my older android phone. wish i could at least change the ringtone to not something ear splitting.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I turn them off. I don't feel guilty. I turn all kinds of alerts on my phone off. Don't feel guilty about those, either.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Yea. turned off the first time one woke me up and I thought it was the end of the world. The alarm scared the shit out of me.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing like this exists where I'm from.

I delete Peel Remote everyday, but the fucker comes back like Arnold in the Terminator..

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm sure that missing child gives a flying fuck about you up in the middle of the night as they're trying to be found

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i didnt even know you COULD turn them off. just thought it was one of those things that carriers forced on you. i dont mind them.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I don't see how you can justify turning them off and not be considered a selfish asshole.

I barely remember the faces of people I've met multiple times or actors.

Unless the kid is literally knocking on my door within 30 sec of the alert I won't remember.

Same with the cars/plate. I've had the same plate number for ten years and I legit can't tell you without looking.

Also when I had the alerts on they were always for locations an hour away for some reason.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Absolutely, but only because Ohio feels it's necessary to send it out to the entire state at 4:30 in the morning. Sorry, but I'm not going to be much help in my bed 2 hours away. It's one thing if it was a simple text message, but they send it through like it's a nuclear attack warning.

Prophaniti

Oct 28, 2017
Not the answers I was expecting at all. I just read comments on a Yahoo news story and had to check and see if I was still reading them and got mixed up.

Yeah I keep them on.

Amirai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm housebound because of severe hyperacusis, so yeah I turned them off, and no I'm not an asshole for doing it. There's just no point or benefit to anyone for me to have them on, especially if they're loud which would aggravate my condition.

Vlaphor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
Every time I've ever gotten an Amber Alert on my phone, it's always been for a couple of states away. I'm sure there are highways that pass through my state, but that still does me no good.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I turn off every notification except for voice after work or if I'm expecting a call. I use Mr Number to filter out 99% of spam.

I really don't care if a white pick up truck in San Antonio is involves in an abduction when I'm in a suburb of Austin. That's the kind of notifications I would get while presenting at meetings or driving in heavy traffic.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I turn them off. I have insomnia, I don't ever interact with kids, and my memory is shit. I wouldn't be able to help even if I wanted to.

I'm also a piece of shit, so there's that as well.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nope, I also don't turn off the severe weather alerts. Sure it's inconvenient and sucks that it sometimes goes off in the middle of the night, but I can't help feeling that if I do turn them off I will miss an important one.

Plus if one ever puts me in a position to help I want to be able to.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I have them off. They're never even relatively close to my area and almost always go off while I'm at work so there's nothing I could do even if I tried.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
If my phone has ever even had that option it certainly isn't enabled because I've never gotten anything.

Is this an America thing?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Nope.

I actually recognized a description from one and called and was able to give a general area since they were on foot. I wasnt the only caller but that just shows you how effective they can be.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No because if it were one of my kids that was kidnap I would want as many people to see the alert as possible. You never know.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I barely remember the faces of people I've met multiple times or actors.

Unless the kid is literally knocking on my door within 30 sec of the alert I won't remember.

Same with the cars/plate. I've had the same plate number for ten years and I legit can't tell you without looking.

Also when I had the alerts on they were always for locations an hour away for some reason.

Sending an alert for plates is simply ineffective. Put plate scanners on interstates and highways and alert police and the FBI, not rando vigilantes. We have them on tolls in Texas.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
How many amber alerts do you realistically gets a year?

Not sure how much of a nuisance it can be that would require it to be turned off.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I did after a while because they would always be quite a distance away. I lived in Georgia but got alerts from places like Colorado and what not. If it was the greater southern region sure, close states and what not, but getting an alert from the other side of the country and no information saying they might be in the region, almost daily got annoying.