• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I switched recently on all of my devices and I'm really liking it. Got tired of Google retargrting me all over the web and after looking at their detailed profile on me, I think I'm going to transition away from their platforms over time.

I expected to miss Google immediately, but the transition was easy. DDG is great at returning relevant searches and even has a great dark mode. You can default to it in safari on iphone and macs too.

Have any of you used it? What did you think of it?

Mihos

Oct 28, 2017
I use it on new installs on Raspberry Pi, until I get around to changing the defaults.

MotherFan

Oct 27, 2017
I switched recently on all of my devices and I'm really liking it. Got tired of Google retargrting me all over the web and after looking at their detailed profile on me, I think I'm going to transition away from their platforms over time.

I expected to miss Google immediately, but the transition was easy. DDG is great at returning relevant searches and even has a great dark mode. You can default to it in safari on iphone and macs too.

Have any of you used it? What did you think of it?
How did you look at the profile google makes?

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to use it recently for a month but Google gives me a lot more relevant results. Yes I know that's because they're tracking me like where I live but still.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Been using it for well over a year. My only complaint is when searching for addresses or a business it does not always populate a map function.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I use it on all my devices by default. If it doesn't find what I need I add a quick "!g" in front of the search and it punts me to an encrypted google search.

I love it.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
I use it in specific instances where I don't want Google to misinterpret my intentions and tune my future results in a bad direction. (For example, if I need to look up something or someone right-wing-related to understand the context of a news story.) I'm not concerned about privacy, exactly; I just don't want Google showing me crap I hate in their ads or YouTube recommendations or whatever.

I have keywords set up for all my searches in the Firefox toolbar, so it's not really any extra effort. I always preface my search with a letter or three to get results from the site I think will work best: g for Google, ddg for DuckDuckGo, wp for Wikipedia, yt for YouTube, and so on. Typing the two extra Ds won't hurt me any.
EDIT: Apparently DuckDuckGo has similar functionality built in? That's kind of cool. I might use that if it works on mobile, since I don't think mobile Firefox supports keyword searches.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I tried it and hated it. I don't think I can ever go back to anything less than Google.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do want to use it, but I find it lacking in some obvious options. Especially mobile...

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it gives me the results I want and the image search is so much better.
Not going back to google.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Been using it as my primary search engine for years, it's great. Though sometimes google is a little better for those oddly specific searches

Plus their image search still has the "view file" button which is a nice little convenience, though if you bastards make it more popular I guess they'll eventually have to remove it too

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I use it regularly, still go back to Google sometimes because the results are much better.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use it in specific instances where I don't want Google to misinterpret my intentions and tune my future results in a bad direction. (For example, if I need to look up something or someone right-wing-related to understand the context of a news story.) I'm not concerned about privacy, exactly; I just don't want Google showing me crap I hate in their ads or YouTube recommendations or whatever.

I use incognito mode for this

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
I have trust issues with all technology these days. They all seem to say/promise one thing then "oh we've tracked all your shit even though we said we didn't sorry not sorry"

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I use it for everything, never had any problems with it. It gives different results to Google, but I wouldn't say its worse.

Oct 25, 2017
Moved to it full time a year ago and have been slowly removing my need for !g when searching. Some situations require me to dig a bit more, but I'm realizing in this SEO world that even the top Google results aren't always the best anymore.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
I am in the process of transitioning away from Google Search and GMail for most activity. It's an adjustment for sure.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
it has been my default search engine for years, but it's no google, so I often still have to add a !g to get better results...

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at a stage where I assume virtual me is a Russian bot posting Trump propaganda on 4chan so I continue to use Google.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I use google for work, but for personal devices I use duck duck go. It's good enough for the light searching I do.