SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
FC0H2snWYAMFYYF

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends if I talk about the company that owns Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, etc., or just the Facebook product

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Nah. I don't even remember having Facebook in my recent conversations, let alone calling them meta.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I mean, the company that owns Facebook, WhatsApp, etc. is named Meta, so yes I call it Meta.

Just like I call Google's parent Alphabet.

But I have to deal with these companies professionally, so the names I use actually matter.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
To prevent confusion, I used Alphabet when I'm talking about Facebook and Meta when I'm talking about Google.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember the last time I talked about Facebook, but I probably used Facebook. I thought meta was the online hub thing? Pardon my confusion, I don't have Facebook.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
I think the only people I've seen call it Meta are either bootlickers or crypto/NFT bros. Everyone else just calls it Facebook.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Yes... But I work regularly with teams and individuals at Meta as part of my job, so...

Like it's the company name. Should I try and be cute in meetings with them and insist on continuing to call them Facebook? Lol

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the company that owns Facebook, WhatsApp, etc. is named Meta, so yes I call it Meta.

Just like I call Google's parent Alphabet.

But I have to deal with these companies professionally, so the names I use actually matter.
Exactly. I think some people incorrectly think that the Facebook platform itself was renamed Meta. Instead it's the parent company that changed its name.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I had to use Alphabet's Google search product to find out what Meta was.

The company that makes the "Google search product" is still legally named Google. Alphabet is a holding company, so it does not have any products, and is really only relevant if you are talking about the stock.

This is different from Facebook. Facebook renamed the company. There is no longer any legally entity named Facebook, only the product name.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
It's a good thing the poll is so overwhelming imo.

Don't get Facebook get away with their shit by doing a rebrand.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Depends on the context like all language.

It's a good thing the poll is so overwhelming imo.

Don't get Facebook get away with their shit by doing a rebrand.

I don't see it as some whitewashing here.

It's actually worse since Instagram is also part of this and Instagram is just as toxic as Facebook itself, which is boomer central these days.

Instagram is hipper and more influential (although TikTok is starting to eat its lunch with younger generations).

It's just a catch-all to describe the nonsense.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Only in a sardonic way.

It's a Failed Rebranding on par with "Alphabet", the other guys who changed their corporate name while under massive privacy scandals.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Nah, unless there's a situation that requires the actual company name. Facebook is so ingrained that pretty much everyone knows what you're talking about.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Yes... But I work regularly with teams and individuals at Meta as part of my job, so...

Like it's the company name. Should I try and be cute in meetings with them and insist on continuing to call them Facebook? Lol

Yup. I talk to someone who works under Meta, without that I probably wouldn't unless I was being ironic lol

Sinah

Jun 2, 2022
I usually call it shitbook but mostly I'm just trying to forget it even exists.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
Nope.

Their naming conventions are so weird. I had to put together something for work concerning Meta and they still publicly use facebook a lot.

I guess it will take time, but it makes explaining things sort of difficult.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
No. It was and is a clear rebranding attempt to get away from the bad press associated with the name Facebook.

Someone earlier mentioned Google and Alphabet but as an end user of Google stuff I didn't even know what Alphabet was until it showed up in the opening of Silicon Valley with the Google stuff and I looked it up. Google products and services still use the Google brand unlike Facebook putting their Meta logo on their non-facebook apps and products, like Oculus.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ive never even heard anyone call the company Meta, let alone me actually say frikken Meta.
I know people who are Instafreaks and they dont even understand what the new Meta logo at the bottom of the Instgram login even means.