• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you?

• Yes

Votes: 27 3.4%
  • No

Votes: 762 96.6%

• Total voters

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
No because Meta's not a product/application, it's just the parent company. It'd be like referring to anything Google related as Alphabet.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
It's Oculus Quest 2 to me. Not Meta Quest 2.

You still have to download the Oculus app to set it up (just did this for a new user this weekend), and still go to oculus.com to buy games. I suppose they'll get around to changing those, but they shouldn't. Oculus is a cool name. Meta sucks.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, and i' pretty sure that if i did, the person i'd be talking to would be confused as heck.

I mean... It's like Alphabet and Google. It's Google no matter what.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I thought Meta was the VR universe thing, but Facebook or "Meta" doesn't come up into conversation much so I just still say Facebook.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, to be fair I don't talk about them much but even still I refer to them as Facebook or oculus still. Hell my mum and mother in law use Facebook non stop every day and had no idea wtf meta was when I asked them. They know Facebook as Facebook. I don't know why Facebook thought a rebrand would work as it seems a lot of their users have no fucking idea what it is.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Even a lot of media seems to always say "formerly known as Facebook" when saying Meta, so I'm not sure the switch has really been all that successful yet.

Oct 27, 2017
No. It was and is a clear rebranding attempt to get away from the bad press associated with the name Facebook.

Someone earlier mentioned Google and Alphabet but as an end user of Google stuff I didn't even know what Alphabet was until it showed up in the opening of Silicon Valley with the Google stuff and I looked it up. Google products and services still use the Google brand unlike Facebook putting their Meta logo on their non-facebook apps and products, like Oculus.
That's because it's a different situation completely. As many people have said throughout this thread, Facebook as a company is no more. The company is Meta, with Facebook as one of their products. There are no non-Meta apps now, they all belong to Meta (previously Facebook). Meanwhile there is still a company named Google, which sits under a holding company that isn't really relevant to consumers.

On topic, I generally use Facebook still but I imagine over time I'll transition to saying Meta as it just becomes more common (their stock ticker only changed a week or two ago actually, so it is all still pretty recent).

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Exactly. I think some people incorrectly think that the Facebook platform itself was renamed Meta. Instead it's the parent company that changed its name.
I dont think there is any confusion about it. People are just not gonna change the name they've been saying for years. Same reason i still say SWAT in halo and not tactical slayer. You change the name after 15 years, dont expect people to be calling it the new name. Especially not in the short term. And wince we're talking about facebook here. Fuck'em. I'm gonna call them what they dont want me to call them.

Ashrak

Just to make fun about them for the namechange.

8042d6535de75bf0.jpg

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
No I mean the site and the app on mobile is still called Facebook. I guess if you were talking about the parent company you would say meta? Same with Instagram it just says "from meta" when launching the app. It's like when old people used to call every video game Nintendo.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
No, and unless I am getting paid not to, it's facebook.

I am more than comfortable saying "Facebook owns Instagram" because more people know what the hell I am talking about than if I said "Meta owns Instagram"

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
When a company decides to change its name largely because of bad public sentiment toward the company, I stick with the old name. It's still Comcast to me instead of Xfinity, for example

gilko79

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
I hardly talk about it at all, but when I do I certainly don't call it meta. It was facebook back when I still used it, so facebook it shall forever be.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Big edgelord energy in here. It's just a company name and it's not going anywhere. If you're calling Facebook the product Facebook then whatever, but if you're saying Facebook owns Instagram then you're just wrong, and you're proving nothing.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
I've uttered neither 'Facebook' or 'Meta' since I binned it off. I don't think i've heard any of my friends mention it either. We're all a bit old for that shit now.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
No. They changed the name to avoid the negative connotations with "Facebook", but since those negative connotations are well deserved I don't really want to help Zuck's rebranding effort. Same goes for Xfinity, imma keep calling it "Comcast" until further notice.

Oct 27, 2017
No, because I've never had a reason to refer to the parent company of Facebook. Even if I did, I'd call it Facebook because screw the metaverse nonsense.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
No, I heard an ad for a VR game the other day and it said "for the Meta Quest" and it took me a minute to realize they meant the Oculus.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
No, I stubbornly call them Facebook. Unless I'm having a really in the weeds conversation about the company. I also call Google , Google, not Alphabet.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
The product is still called facebook, I see no reason to refer to it otherwise. Unless we're talking about like meta stock or meta products like oculus.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I call them Meta because that's their name.

The irony is that, if you keep calling them facebook, you're doing exactly what they wanted- not badmouthing Meta.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
No, but it refers to Facebook the company, not Facebook the website/app. Usually when I'm talking about Facebook I'm talking about the latter, and I can't recall a time recently where I've talked about the former. (and the only time I recently talked about the former was when I was talking about social media platforms with my partner a few weeks ago I think)