• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you wipe/spray your groceries?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 646 76.7%

• Total voters

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We did back at the start, but haven't in months. We just make sure we wash our hands after putting everything away.

SmackDaddy

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Yup, just hand washing after putting stuff away is fine. Hell, even big hand washing before eating is fine, which you should kinda be doing anyway. Surface transmission isn't really a thing unless you lick something someone just sneezed on.

Oct 27, 2017
I never did, just washed my hands thoroughly after a lot of outside contact (and still do).

It's not like it hurts to wipe things down if you don't find it an inconvenience. But if the added vigilance is causing you stress and anxiety, like worrying you might forget or accidentally touch your face or "is this REALLY clean" etc., it's probably not worth the realistic risk of surface transmission.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
wiping down groceries or leaving packages 36 hours was something I never got behind, despite doing everything else protection wise.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
No. Fomites are not a significant transmission risk for this virus and if you could get it this way and this easily we would have way more cases than we do now.

VE3TRO

Oct 25, 2017
ESSEX, UK
Yup got a family member in the vulnerable catergory, people in this town don't seem to give a shit about infection rate and it's shooting up rapidly now. Delivery drivers not wearing masks or abiding the social distancing rules. Doesn't bother me to spend some minutes out my day to protect them.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
We still do every time. We do curbside pickup where they just put it all in your trunk. When we get home I throw on gloves and wipe everything down with disinfecting wipes, put it in boxes and my wife takes it inside and puts it away.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
No, but I leave many days between buying fruit or veg and then going to eat it, because who knows what grubby paws were handling it in the store.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I used to do it much more often.

These days I only do it if I suspect my groceries have been handled a lot, or if some asshat was floating too close to my cart when I was waiting in line for checkout.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, my wife and I still begrudgingly wipe down all our groceries.

I know we likely don't have to but it's been so long that we've just gotten used to it. It is a pain in the ass though.

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
Wipe down any outside items I picked up and wipe down the interior of my vehicle the best I can everytime.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I did at first, but I haven't in months once the experts explained how low the chance of contamination is through that kind of means.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I do it.

I also do not believe that it's necessary but it gives me the illusion of control and it isn't a big deal. Honestly I have a couple pre-existing conditions and I don't think I'd be willing to keep living if I caught the thing and it degraded me a bit more. I sometimes find myself having this discussion with myself even where I'm at now.

If it helps reduce the very minor chance of infection from that vector then it's worth the minor hassle.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
If I grab an Apple from the store and am going to eat it immediately sure but other than that? Why would you wipe down packaged goods? Are you not washing your hands after you handle meat and stuff before you eat?

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I haven't wiped down anything when going to or coming from stores. I just wash my hands when I get home.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Yes, I have since the start of the pandemic but recently I know someone who got covid dispite never leaving thier house or interacting with anyone and the only way they could have gotten it was through a delivery of groceries.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
Did in the beginning but then we found out it doesn't stay active on most surfaces for very long, and even then it's hard to catch. I still wash my hands after touching anything though, and even contact with groceries I'll wait a day or two before I feel like they're not poison anymore lol.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Fauci just waits 2 days before using what he buys. If it works for our nation's top expert then if works for me.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
No but I wash hands after handling.

Treat the virus like radiation I guess - minimise exposure time and maximise distance to decrease your risk.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I used to, I wish I still do. I just don't drink out of any bottles, cans or stuff like that but I don't wipe anything down.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
No, I just wash my hands

edit - but I'm not around any high-risk people and haven't been asked by anyone to wipe them down anyway

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
No, I just wash my hands after putting it away. I get everything from Amazon Fresh tho, so I can wash my hands immediately.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did initially, until I realized that we were going to run out of sanitizing wipes quickly.

We set up a shelving unit in our hallway bathroom's tub for extra storage anyway, so everything we bring in from the outside also stays in there for a week before we take it out, unless we move it to a storage container or plastic bag. For frozen / cold stuff, it gets wiped down or we wash our hands whenever we use it.

The risk of transmission via packaging is fairly low anyway (Covid can survive up to 24 hours on cardboard, and up to three days on plastic) so isolating stuff feels like enough, especially since we're usually washing our hands after handing anything like that anyway. The alternative was giving me mild chemical irritation on my hands that lasted for a few days, with the excessive handwashing I'm already doing it was leading to my knuckles cracking and bleeding from dry skin.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Nah, I never have. I usually just wipe down the cart handle before using it, and use sanitizer in the car when I'm done shopping. Then usually wash my hands again after getting home and putting it up, though I don't always. Maybe it depends on how paranoid I feel after what i saw at the store.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
No. We did it at the start of the pandemic but gave up on it shortly thereafter. Too much effort.

We do only do delivery or curbside for groceries. So we are still being careful. Just wiping food down seems unnecessary.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Surface transmission of SARS-CoV2 was really overblown at the beginning of the pandemic and probably isn't a meaningful contributor to spread. Foodborne transmission has literally never been documented.

Meanwhile, we completely underestimated the airborne component, and to some extent still do.

We were just completely miscalibrated to the the nature of this virus.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
No. I wash my hands if I'm worried. If it is produce that I'm eating directly, maybe. But, no. Most of the food I buy gets cooked, thereby rendering it safe.