Do they know?

• Yes

Votes: 57 4.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,192 95.4%

• Total voters

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
I've got friends who have played Horizon and would recognise her, but family members? They can name the Mario cast, Pikachu, Sonic, and that's about it.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think any of them would recognize her, but to be honest, it's three games and one big expansion, over less than (?) a decade. If the releases stay going at a fair clip, I think she could stick better in mainstream awareness. My family also doesn't know who Raziel and Kain are, so really, this is on them.

Apr 24, 2024
You know, they missed an opportunity in not naming her Oloy, because that would be YOLO backwards, and everyone knows that.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Not knowing Kratos is almost not knowing GTA or Fortnite by parents, bro. They have at least one opportunity to see him on the streets from massive marketings or even medias and even TV shows or anything, where they use him to do some fun. You really underestimate how famous Kratos is and Sony knows he is her PlayStation mascot.
As someone who has been gaming for over 40 years and knows exactly who Kratos is, I don't think I've ever seen his character anywhere in public outside of an EB/Gamestop and my spouse would not have any clue who he was if they saw them. Even my teenage son would probably struggle to recognize Kratos right away given I'm not sure he's even played any of the games.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
giphy.gif

Nov 23, 2023
Dude, they still think Zelda is the one in the green tunic. Master Chief is Halo guy and Daisy and Peach are the same character with hair dye.
These Horizon threads are always so assholish. Thinly veiled would be an overstatement. I'm sorry something you don't like is popular.

yhgtu

Sep 12, 2021
The only character my family would know is Mario. What bearing that has on video game popularity, I don't know.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Hell no. They might recognize the Hannah Hoekstra in her, though.

That said, they don't know any gaming characters except for Mario, Pikachu and Lara Croft.

They certainly wouldn't recognize Angry McBeardman Kratos either.

Last edited:

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
I have 2 friends who know and really like her/the games.

Beyond them, no not really.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
My family probably couldn't even place The Master Chief, Aloy has zero shot.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
No. Maayyybeee my wife remembers because she has a theater/acting background and Aloy's face was modelled on Dutch actress Hannah Hoekstra; and that hit the news years back when the first game launched.

But same goes for Kratos. Or any other character from a 'big gaming franchise that isnt Mario or Zelda'.

Apr 20, 2022
Parents: completely no.

Family: younger brother and couple cousins do because they played it. The rest wound not have any clue

Friends: only a small handful who have played the games, the rest would have no clue at all.

Horizon and Aloy simply isn't that popular outside Sony ecosystem.

Last edited:

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
To clarify my OP, I'm on the side of Horizon. I'm just poking fun at the people who say "Well, if X doesn't know about it, it's not popular".
Basically the same thing we saw with Avatar when Way of Water was coming out.
At this point you might as well put this in the OP, as there are more folks thinking you're bagging on Aloy and Horizon than the folks you intended to make fun of.

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah most of my family and friends do. Hell one of my friends bought a fuck-off huge TV back in the day just for the first game.

My 83 year old Dad doesn't though. He knows Doom guy and Chuckie Egg guy and that's it lol.

Derbel McDillet

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 23, 2022
Dude, they still think Zelda is the one in the green tunic. Master Chief is Halo guy and Daisy and Peach are the same character with hair dye.
These Horizon threads are always so assholish. Thinly veiled would be an overstatement. I'm sorry something you don't like is popular.
I mean, at this point the OP clarified their point enough times.

But this is a crappy argument people still keep using for some reason.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Outside of a few Nintendo characters and Sonic. I don't think general non gamers know many characters by name. "Halo guy" , "Tomb Raider", and Crash Bandicoot may have a little more mind-share.

JSRF

"This guy are sick"
Aug 23, 2023
I don't think my gamer friends would even recognize the name without seeing a picture

Chev

Mar 1, 2021
My mom really only knows about Lara Croft and my dad knows nothing about video games. Horizon is a billion times removed from that sphere.

Jun 5, 2023
Another perfect example of the Era bubble. The people debating if she is culturally relevant, the people upset that OP questioned her relevance, and the people unable to tell that this post was a joke are all firmly within a bubble. Aloy 's cool, but also who cares and it's not that important. I think Sony will take the 30 million sales over if your aunt can pick Aloy out of a line up.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
My dad just turned 64 and does. He also beat both games, while I got bored part way through the first. In fact I gave my dad my PS5 just so he could game more in his free time.

Oct 25, 2017
To clarify my OP, I'm on the side of Horizon. I'm just poking fun at the people who say "Well, if X doesn't know about it, it's not popular".
Basically the same thing we saw with Avatar when Way of Water was coming out.
Yeah anyone actually using this as a frame of reference is really off base on whether something is popular or not. I could ask my mom who Pikachu is and she wouldn't know. Even here on Era I could ask who Pomni is, and I doubt I'd get many answers despite the show amassing 32 million views in less than 24 hours.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why some of you guys are so desperate to paint Aloy as some kind of gaming icon or something.

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
Nah my mum still calls everything a Nintendo though off the tomp of my head she would know Mario, Pikachu, tomb raider,kratos and ratchet.

Based off movies and my childhood.