• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Welkins

Apr 7, 2021
Depends on the streamer. Of the two I watch for Ff14 one is definitely for his personality LOL. The other is cause he's a really good black mage (which I main)

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Theres a balance between skill and personality.

The worse they are, the better personality needs to be.

Though if they're Kotaku Cuphead Tutorial tier - not sure any personality can make it watchable. And even the best player needs stills decent personally to be watchable - but sometimes speedruns etc are watchable just on talent.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Not pro but you have to be way above average. I don't want to watch someone always lose, have no adaptability to anything, etc. Personality isn't going to make up for that.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I watch game grumps. It took the 5 episodes to equip armor in Super Mario rpg. So no, high level play isn't interesting to me long term. I enjoy the occasional speed run or high level clip, bUT that's about it.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
All I ask is that they aren't DSP levels of pathetic when it comes to playing games.

It's a real low bar, I know, but that's really all I require. I'd rather the streamer be interesting to watch or, as is more often the case, listen to while I'm working.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Nope.

I find that the content i watch is always personality-driven even on gaming.

Fun, interesting and good people always comes first.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I pretty much exclusively watch speed running, so yes.

And I can't say I've come across anyone who is entertaining enough to watch them casually play a game. That's the part of Twitch I really don't get.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
No, their skill at the game is usually (though not always) the last thing I look for.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nope. They just have to play games I'm interested in, and not put on some annoying act, overreacting to everything and trying too hard to be funny.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much exclusively watch speed running, so yes.

And I can't say I've come across anyone who is entertaining enough to watch them casually play a game. That's the part of Twitch I really don't get.
I liken it to talk radio, they're not really informing you much of the time, but you like their general flow.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I'm usually more interested in first-time reactions to games I have played and know I love, so I tend to be pretty lenient on that front.

I actually don't care that much about speedrunners outside of the context of a succesful run on YT or a "games done quick for cancer" type of event because watching the same segments over and over seems tiring. But I'm glad that they can share their passion projects with others that do like this type of content.

Nope. They just have to play games I'm interested in, and not put on some annoying act, overreacting to everything and trying too hard to be funny.
Yeah, some people really overdo it and I watch them despite of this, not because of it.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. Be funny and personable and that's good enough. Kyle Bosman is great to watch and he's no pro gamer.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
Nnnno, but they do have to be competent, and I swear if they skip the text/dialog imparting important information then complain about not knowing what to do, I'm gone.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
The better question is whether you "just want to chill" or if you're interested in working hard to make your stream the best it can be for your viewers and community.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
The better question is whether you "just want to chill" or if you're interested in working hard to make your stream the best it can be for your viewers and community.
I mean I would want to work and make sure those that watch are genuinely enjoying what I do, but if I stream , I also want to feel like I can be relaxed while I do it , I don't have to attract many people (if any really) I just want to be me and play games or talk about stuff with others without being too serious.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
On the other hand, if you're good at the game, you can use it as a means of educating rather than entertaining so that's another angle you can work with.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
A streamer could play so well that angels descended and played ethereal music while proclaiming them the king of the world and I'd still shut it off after a few minutes out of disgust over their wacky behavior

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I would want to work and make sure those that watch are genuinely enjoying what I do, but if I stream , I also want to feel like I can be relaxed while I do it , I don't have to attract many people (if any really) I just want to be me and play games or talk about stuff with others without being too serious.
If you just want to stream as a hobby to relax that's cool too. It's just that this topic makes it sound as if you're trying to explore whether you can be a "successful" streamer. I just wanted to say that you should probably keep your expectations very low if you're not going to go into it with the mindset that this is going to be a part time (or full time) job/business in terms of the amount of time and energy you put into it even when you're not live.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
If you just want to stream as a hobby to relax that's cool too. It's just that this topic makes it sound as if you're trying to explore whether you can be a "successful" streamer. I just wanted to say that you should probably keep your expectations very low if you're not going to go into it with the mindset that this is going to be a part time (or full time) job/business in terms of the amount of time and energy you put into it even when you're not live.
Ah I understand, if I do this , I have no expectations that I will get big or that I'll even get any viewers lol , I just want to do it because it feels like it would be a good time for me and if I find like minded chil people who wanna talk or watch me have fun playing stuff, thats a +

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
For probably the last few years the main game streamer I'd watch was TimTheTatMan and he is far from the best player in the group of people he plays with. I don't really watch too much game streaming anymore as I'm just not that interested in the games, but being the best was never too important.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Was never big into streamers, but all the gaming YouTubers I've watched were more funny than talented.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
No.

Some of the fun is seeing them struggling, then overcoming it. There were a few times the person just quit, that was hilarious, lol.

Agree with those saying I watch ppl because they're entertaining, not because they're an amazing player.

Last edited:

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all.

Though if they're like...REALLY bad it can get frustrating at times, sure.

I'd say "Please at least take a moment to read the instructions/controls the game gives you." Nothing more frustrating than watching someone skip/glaze over a tutorial and then bash their head against a wall going "THIS STUPID GAME DOESNT WORK"

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
99.9% of the time, yes. I do not find the overwhelming majority of streamer personalities charming or entertaining.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Nah def not. If I'm watching League I'll watch pros or ex pros for high level play mostly.

But my most watched are Moonmoon, LIRIK and some Sodapoppin prob in that order.

LIRIK and Soda are not great at games (LIRIK is pretty good at some shooters) but the variety and shit show Saturdays keep me coming. (I say not great because I cannot tell if they play up their... challenged.. moments for content or not)

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Plenty of vtubers I watch with my daughter are average players. I don't need to see someone be really good at a game, in fact that's pretty boring most of the time ("oh look great player wins again, never saw that coming…").

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Shoutout to all the Brad Shoemaker fans out there:

Good fortune to you, OP.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
In the very early days of Twitch (and the justin.tv days), I used to enjoy personality-driven streamers quite a bit. But sometime around 2014-15 I found that their personalities started getting obnoxious, and somewhere along the way I became someone who only really follows top players despite not being good at games myself. The one example I can think of in the past couple of years that doesn't fit this is HBomberguy's DK64 Mermaids stream.

I do enjoy VTubers but only clips of them really. I also watch Hasan but that doesn't really count because I tune out when he's just playing Bloodborne or whatever.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
Not amazing, but it is distracting if they're bad. I'm okay with above average as long as they're entertaining and a pleasant person

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I watched Game Grumps for years. So no, they don't have to be exceptionally good at games to be enjoyable, they just have to be entertaining.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
No. Not at all. Watching someone fuck up at a game and figure it out is way more interesting to me.

I care more if the person is interesting to watch and its a smaller stream. I don't watch big streamers very often because its just a broadcast at that point and you cant interact with the chat or the streamer because its just a wall of emotes exploding upwards. At that point, id rather just watch an edited down video posted to youtube.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I don't really watch streamers I watch gameplay videos on Youtube if I'm stuck somewhere or if I'm not sure about purchasing a game and need more convincing.