Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Being more atmospheric and less melodic has been a plague on video game soundtracks for a while now.

Do audiences prefer these types of soundtracks? Why are they so prevalent?
Topic for another discussion, but I mostly agree. Back in the "retro" days, they only had limited resources and limited power to make memorable music, so they had to really make those MIDI tunes work to enhance the game and leave an impression. Now, with full-orchestration symphonies and all the budget in the world, you get stuff that's bombastic but highly digestible and unremarkable.

Movies in general do this as well. It's like they're scared to have the music become a third-pillar of movies - like story and visuals. I grew up on films where the music carries entire sequences at times, and that's not as common. It still happens, don't get me wrong, but it takes WORK and it takes enormous SKILL.

The prequels have great music, while the story fails it. You can legitimately listen to the soundtracks of the prequels and your mind will create a far more epic and incredible adventure than Lucas did on those films. It stands tall as the best thing the prequels gave us.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Rian Johnson is on record as saying that he basically just gave Williams a temp-tracked copy of TLJ (with past Star Wars music, likely explaining heavy usage of OT themes), didn't give him any further input from then on and only heard the finished score when it was being recorded. I personally like the score for what it is but it's a reminder that they aren't written in a vacuum. More musical risks might have been taken with heavier director/composer collaboration.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. The theme that plays during the fight with Darth Maul in Episode 1 towers over anything in the new trilogy.

That said, I prefer TFA and TLJ in almost every other respect.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nope
Only duel of fates stands out
ST has great new tracks, only Rose's theme is meh and too on the nose when used

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Rey and Kylo's theme are both good, but I did notice
the big throne room fight did not use a soaring choral score like in the PT
I think it is a stylistic choice and not because Williams can't do it.

One notable thing to me is how much Rey's theme resonated with the rest of the OT themes. It's part of the lineup of leitmotifs now.

Also this is probably William's best original work for TLJ

The Spark is god tier Williams. Using Vader's theme as a send off to Luke. I climax spiritually everytime. And out of the sequels so far, Kylo, Rey and The Resistance's theme have become one of my favorite's and most popular in general right now. So good. I love Canto Bight's intro bit and a bit of Rose's theme too, although it's not as used as I would've loved.

BUT, I agree that the prequels gave Williams more material to be creative, despite how sucky the movies are in general.

Revenge of the Sith is still probably the best Star Wars OST since Empire. And Duel of the Fates will never get old and I would be transported to another plane of existence if it pops up in Episode 9 as the saga comes to a close.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The Obi-wan vs Anakin song is the best song from the PT. It's an epic duel theme but is also subtley mournful at the same time which is very fitting for the subject matter.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
The prequels have fine scores, but it's not Williams at his peak.

Williams's run from Jaws to Temple of Doom is just insane.

Rian Johnson is on record as saying that he basically just gave Williams a temp-tracked copy of TLJ (with past Star Wars music, likely explaining heavy usage of OT themes), didn't give him any further input from then on and only heard the finished score when it was being recorded. I personally like the score for what it is but it's a reminder that they aren't written in a vacuum. More musical risks might have been taken with heavier director/composer collaboration.

That explains a lot. Williams' best work is when he collaborates with the director.

The score's still good.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
TLJ doesn't introduce any new memorable themes at all.

It's mostly TFA that introduced new ones.
Some good like Rey's theme.
Some lame like Kylo's theme.

TLJ just reuses OT themes and TFA themes

Musically, TLJ is the weakest of 8 so far.

Rey's theme is boss.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's one thing the prequels got over the sequels. I love them both but the prequels ost is ridiculous.