• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
I live in Greece and in my place i am restricted to adsl(10mbps) for the foreseeable future with no choice at all for an upgrade.Let me just say that i am thankful that xbox has background download.This is the first time that next gen consoles would be just wasted of their potential with my internet connection,i dont want to wait 4-5days for a game to download,i feel like i am left behind.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, UK internet isn't great. Especially where I live.

25mbps fibre

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
I live in the US and I'm lucky to have a 500 mb connection. Hopefully Starlink will become more widespread next year and offer cheap high speed internet.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm lucky in that I get almost 100 more down than I pay for. I hope my provider continues to not notice.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
200/200 here in Southern California, which is comparatively slow vs. my coworkers/friends in the area, but I rarely get that via console downloads. On Steam and other PC storefronts, it maxes out, which is nice, but I worry about XSX and especially PS5 speeds...

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I've got unlimited gigabit, and I'm not sure what to do with it, tbh

I guess Flight Simulator dl'ed fast...

OP
OP
greengr

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
Even 25mbps would be a dramatic improvement for me and people posting about 500mbps connections lol

Jul 1, 2020
Usually hovering around 800kbps here in rural Ireland with no other packages or service providers available in my area.

Downloading games or even big updates has never really been an option for me.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
after dealing with a client who couldn't keep a stable upload in any measured sense despite being given the ability to hit 20Mbps you're screwed if you have no upload consistency.

I'm not restricted I'm enjoying the benefits of a router that isn't gimping the devices that need it do it's job.

Open firmware is a hell of drug.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
1Gbps here. All good and ready for next gen. I really hope we get WiFi 6 on the new consoles. Given the fact that laptops and even "cheap" small phones like the iPhone SE got the chip, I fully expect them to have it too.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I'm around 70mbps, which is fine for now, but if we start getting into 200 or 300GB games (which I think is going to happen) and upgrade will be needed.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
1Gbps here. All good and ready for next gen. I really hope we get WiFi 6 on the new consoles. Given the fact that laptops and even "cheap" small phones like the iPhone SE got the chip, I fully expect them to have it too.

Whatever wifi Sony ships, I expect it to be bad lol. My plan is to stick with wired.

I have 300 mbps, which is fine for me now. My provider does offer gigabit internet, but I think I would need to upgrade my modem.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Other than downloads, speeds don't really matter.
We were in a weird spot this gen where our storage maxes out a ~400Mbps connection so anything over that was "pointless" but with >2.4GB/s, we're nowhere near maxing that out.(1000Mbps connection=125MB/s)

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not so sure about restricted, but I am worried about the caps when downloading that first set of games for the PS5. Fallout 76 (on PS4 of course) needed something like 50GB of updates when I installed it a couple of months ago, and that's not the only game I'd want to download. I think what I might have to do is download maybe 1 or 2 digital games, and install the physical games with small update sizes, then wait for the month to end so I can download a few of the bigger ones with whatever data is left over.

Between data caps and the small SSD on PS5, play-then-delete is going to be a very frequent thing, I think.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I'm not so sure about restricted, but I am worried about the caps when downloading that first set of games for the PS5. Fallout 76 (on PS4 of course) needed something like 50GB of updates when I installed it a couple of months ago, and that's not the only game I'd want to download. I think what I might have to do is download maybe 1 or 2 digital games, and install the physical games with small update sizes, then wait for the month to end so I can download a few of the bigger ones with whatever data is left over.

Between data caps and the small SSD on PS5, play-then-delete is going to be a very frequent thing, I think.
For physical games, keep in mind that ps4 and x1 were limited to 50GB on disk because of the media. That limit is not present with ps5/xsx.
I'm still under the assumption that I can store the ps5 games I'm not playing on my ps4's external HDD.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Thankfully no! I get about 400 down and 20 or so up and it is extremely steady. Around the launch of PS4 I lived in middle of nowhere Pennsylvania and I would get about 3 down and .75 up or so. Now THAT was an issue. It would literally take an entire day to download a demo haha. I couldn't imagine trying to download / play something like Warzone haha.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I got like 100-150mbps fibre so stuff downloads rather quickly. I feel like I'm all set personally I don't have to wait very long for 50gb.
I do know ALOT of people who arn't in a good spot internet wise, especially for next gen.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
For physical games, keep in mind that ps4 and x1 were limited to 50GB on disk because of the media. That limit is not present with ps5/xsx.
I'm still under the assumption that I can store the ps5 games I'm not playing on my ps4's external HDD.

True, but it'd still mean having to deal with the initial installation at least once. I'm not complaining about it, mind you: it is what it is. That said, it's something that has to be balanced and spread out over time so I don't go over the cap, and if I didn't have a cap it wouldn't be an issue and I could just install whatever I wanted.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I live in Greece and in my place i am restricted to adsl(10mbps) for the foreseeable future with no choice at all for an upgrade.Let me just say that i am thankful that xbox has background download.This is the first time that next gen consoles would be just wasted of their potential with my internet connection,i dont want to wait 4-5days for a game to download,i feel like i am left behind.
Check the starlink OT here... If we get lucky then everyone can have decent Internet.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I left Comcast a few years ago due to their monthly caps. I'm with AT&T fiber 1000 with 0 monthly caps. I do need a better router, but so far I'm happy with the speeds, and have never had any issues with the service being slow or down.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
My uk 56Mbit sky fibre is poor for online gaming, I can switch to bt ultra now but won't whilst I'm working from home due to potential downtime.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Going up to 1GB soon in UK. The difference between Virgin and everyone else in the UK is astonishing. UK governments ruined cable by allowing sky to do whatever the fuck they liked giving them a practically unviable business.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
I'm getting about 50/20 fibre and no data cap which is good enough for me at the minute. I'm moving all digital next gen so might consider upgrading my package.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
UK here, I get about 25mbps. It gets the job done, but turns most games into a 'download overnight so I can play tomorrow' situation.

I must check about once per month to see if there's anything better available, but I live a bit out in the sticks so can't see anything better coming my way for a long time.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
ADSL? Holy crap, that's some technology I haven't seen in a while. I'm currently at 100 MBPS and this feels mode than enough for me. I'm pretty patient and I can download games over night anyway. Still, 10 mbps... Poor you.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
Virgin not available in your area or not financially viable? You can get some crazy packages if you call the sales team and say you are looking to make the switch.
Virgin can be hitty missy even in the same town. Ive got the 350 and thats the max, my brother lives up the road and can get the 500 and my sister in law lives just the same distance away in another direction and can't get Virgin at all.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I refuse to live anywhere without gigabit internet (I'm in the UK) it makes trying to look for a bigger place (which I'm doing at the moment) a nightmare because I don't want to lose my current connection speed of 900 down and 100 up.

Serastros

Mar 3, 2018
Took me 2 yeras to convince my provider in Germany, that my new build flat on an old street is not only 16mbit/1mbit, but more, since everyone on the street was on VDSL2 already at that point.
But since it was new build and apparently handwritten into the database, every request ended in: not possible.
As said, it took me 2 years and quiet some luck to reach the right technicians at tier3, which did take the measurements needed.
Ended with VDSL2 182mbit/40mbit, quiet a step up for 15Euro more.....
Now I do feel prepared for next gen, especially with two kids, using PC and consoles at the same time. Would´t work with 16/1 at all.

Oh, just read about caps on datatraffic. No caps here, gods forbid! With two growing up kids, I do hit 1TB/month easily.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going up to 1GB soon in UK. The difference between Virgin and everyone else in the UK is astonishing. UK governments ruined cable by allowing sky to do whatever the fuck they liked giving them a practically unviable business.
Sky? Do you mean BT OpenReach?

We had CityFibre install FTTP in our village in December with Vodafone the ISP, and by all accounts they're giving OR a run for their money on rollout. So it's far more competitive than it used to be.

CvGz

Sep 3, 2018
I am lucky to have 1 gigabit fiber but unfortunately neither console's online services let me download even at 500 megabits. Best I've seen is 400 mb/s on XBL

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Nah, though I've thought of upgrading the speed - but I'm grandfathered on a decent price so which makes it tough.

Canada, 300 Mbps, Unlimited Cap

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Sky? Do you mean BT OpenReach?

We had CityFibre install FTTP in our village in December with Vodafone the ISP, and by all accounts they're giving OR a run for their money on rollout. So it's far more competitive than it used to be.

Them as well. Sky fucked cable TV and made the business model not really work well. They should have been split in two decades ago.

You end up with millions of people getting Sky for the TV even though the internet is shit basically.

Satellite TV is stupid when cable is available but Murdoch made sure everyone needed a dish pressure on Government after Government.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
ADSL 15 mbps down, 0.9 up.
Upload is so bad I have to resort to 4G and tethering when I need to send files larger than 30MB..

At least it's mostly ok for streaming 4k Netflix/YouTube.