• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Never smoked, don't plan on starting. I've had a couple drinks in my life, but alcohol is kinda yucky.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't drink because of the few drinks I've had they taste terrible. Also when I was growing up my older brother was a heavy and violent drinker, so lot of bad memories associated with alcohol.
And no smoking because look at all the shit in them goddamn, and they smell absolutely putrid.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't drink. I don't smoke. I jog somewhat regularly.

But I eat tons and tons and tons of junk food.

Gotta have balance, you know :)

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never smoke or drink. Only ever put some on my tongue and that was it. I believe you don't need either to have fun. But I couldn't care less if you want to do it.

Should have bundled does any one have sex. Because even that I don't even go after. Too lazy to even try. I see a girl I think is attractive and I don't even bother I just keep walking.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I never smoke. Smoking is nasty.

I almost never drink. I'll have a drink if it's free, so maybe four times a year.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't smoke. I used to drink more. These day I'd be lucky if I average one drink a month. If I go to a bar I order club soda with lime.

I do love wine on special occasion at a restaurant with food, but that's about it.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I drink very rarely, and it is mostly during special occasions with wine when I do, but smoking is something I swore not to do at all.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I don't drink as a lot of people in my family were alcohols i did smoke from 12-25. Awful habit and i am glad i quit that. Although recently i have gotten into pot but mostly edibles since they work far better for my anxiety/depression than meds.
I'm not trying to be condescending, genuinely, and I'm sorry if it comes across that way. Life is short and I feel like we should all try to experience as much as we can. I feel the same way about people that write off any experience without fully giving it a chance. It's not judgement or derision.
You don't need to experiment with drugs or drink to live life. I regret doing most drugs i did in my 20s.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I don't smoke because there are less nasty ways to die slowly, and I don't drink because my dad always did and I try not to think about him.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm 30

Never smoked anything.

I drank on my 21st just to see how it was and I didn't like it. I can count on one hand how many times I've had alcohol.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I drank almost everyday for 14 years but I've been sober for a year and a half now. Don't really want to go back either (cause I know moderation doesnt work with me).

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
In the past I sometimes drank. But I never enjoyed it at all. Drinking just made me more depressed and did jack squat as far as "removing inhibitions" goes. (Let alone improving my social situations)

I never smoked cigarettes ever, never saw a reason to as far as not destroying my lungs. I did try weed once but it threw me into a massive anxiety/panic attack for hours and I knew then I'd never want to experience that mess again.

Now I pretty much cannot do either because of being diagnosed with a severe IBD and both alcohol and smoking would pretty much wreck my intestines and send me packing to the Hospital.

While having a valid medical excuse helps, though it's still very annoying and tiresome to constantly have to explain and repeat to people why I cannot drink. People seem to either be very suspicious or doubtful when you refuse drinking, and many just press you about it.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I find it kind of strange in a way that some people have never tried either? The whole never tried it side despite nothing preventing you from doing so. I mean there's no issue with it, whatever your reason whether it be religion, health, or just plain don't want to.

Have friends that do neither for a variety of reasons and they've never had a problem hanging around others when we do participate in them. They're hardly essentials in life and people can get by just fine without them. I enjoy them, if someone else doesn't or has another reason for not doing it then it's not like that creates a barrier between us unless they're judgemental around it.

Been interesting reading some of the responses here.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to be condescending, genuinely, and I'm sorry if it comes across that way. Life is short and I feel like we should all try to experience as much as we can. I feel the same way about people that write off any experience without fully giving it a chance. It's not judgement or derision.

I can live life just as I do without needing a drink in my hand. I purposely made the choice to not drink or smoke given situations I grew up around and continue to do so today. Life is in fact short, and perhaps I'm choosing my best to extended it by not introducing alcohol or smoking to my life. Societal acceptance of alcohol as a center piece to hanging out is something I don't agree with.

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't do either, although I *will* have alcohol in food sauces and the like, if that counts.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I only drink with others at events or parties. Almost never at home alone. The few times I do drink alone I mostly struggle to finish it so I just stopped trying. Don't smoke, nor do I have the temptation to do it.

Probably going to stop drinking all together in a few years though. I can't see myself drinking at all while married or something.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
My vices don't lie in this direction. I've even given up caffeine.

I don't even really like taking pain killers or prescription drugs but I gotta do what I gotta do to stay alive.

Oct 25, 2017
Not anymore, anyway.

I used to be an alcoholic, and quit like 8 years ago. Just recently quit vaping (quit smoking analogue cigarettes about a year ago). Two things I just wish I never, ever did.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I smoke weed often and drink rarely. TBH the type of people who never want to even try those things don't seem like people I'd want to hang out with anyways so it all works out.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Me. No cigs, no alchy, no drugs.

I am as straight edge... teatoller as they come... #NoFunAllowed

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
The only kind of alcohol I drink is apple cider. Does that even count ? It's basically sparkling apple juice.

Anything stronger than that tastes like crap to me.

Also I can't stand people when they're drunk.

Never smoked or done drugs before but that has more to do with the way I was raised.

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
I applaud those who make this choice and stick to it. Principles are good things to have. I personally do both occasionally but not to excess like I used to and I feel better for it. Definitely no tobacco though, fuck that shit

quesalupa

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
US
I used to be pretty anti alcohol due to growing up around destructive alcoholics but eventually decided to try it out and am glad I did. I used to be really antisocial and awkward but alcohol taught me how to channel the good qualities of drunk me into everyday sober me. Now regular me is pretty cool and I don't really rely on alcohol anymore but still like to get my buzz on every now and then. I totally understand the mindset of people who don't use substances though.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
Coffee, sugar, and videogaming seem to be my damning habits. Alcohol and smoking, not my thing.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apart from important social occasions, no alcohol here.

Weed I probably smoked like 7 times in my life, again during social events.

I never smoked cigs.

If I had to pick a vice though, it would be the occasional drink with friends.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Honestly, the buzz a pint of good beer after a tough week or some strenuous work is really awesome.

I try to avoid smoking weed these days but again, such a good feeling to inhale and exhale that smoke after a tough week.

I get why people would avoid these things. It does fuck with your reward system - instant gratification and all. I know if I'm having a tough week I can resort to beer or some weed. People not exposed to these drugs probably have a better way of dealing with a tough time.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never smoked, done drugs or had alcohol except one time I had a coffee beer from Tree house. I was crucified on here saying that 1. That being my first beer and 2. Saying it was shit

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I don't. I don't want health problems, and feel no need for that stuff. I also don't drink coffee.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I drink maybe once every couple months and only to a buzz

Smoking is fucking disgusting so I've never done it

Brandwin

Jan 1, 2018
I don't do either. I've never smoked anything or done a drug. Drinking, had my first drink New Year's Eve before my 22nd birthday. Drank a handful of times after (got extemely drunk twice) haven't touched it in years. Now if I could eat healthier...

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never have, never will, though I've been submitted to way too much secondhand smoke in my life. I've tried some wine and beer but don't enjoy either of them and have only had them in a few situations where I felt pressured to drink them.

Jasconius

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
Yeah, I've never drank or smoked - I just see no reason to try them. Some people can easily get addicted and I have no interest in finding out if I am one of them. I'm lucky to have a decent number of friends who also don't drink and share the same mindset so when we hang out it's to play board games or video games or just go out for food and generally have a great time in other ways.

The only time that not drinking was really a hassle was college but after a couple of times of firm refusals my friends there took the hint and everything was fine.

As for smoking I've never even had any issues, the most I ever hear is people asking if I smoke and when I tell them no, they say something along the lines of "Good, don't start."

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I drank 6 beers in a couple hours one night at home while gauging the effect it would have on myself. Watched Netflix all the while. The alcohol made it hard to focus on my show, and somehow I woke up the next morning in bed rather than the living room, so there must've been an hour or so that I blacked out. Only felt kinda nauseated for two hours, then I felt fine. Although I enjoyed it a little bit, I don't think I have any desire to ever do it again. Mostly just a sheer indifference to it. The loss of control didn't make anything feel more enjoyable (at least in my controlled setting). I could see myself being slightly more socially loose, but not majorly. My anxiety would be the biggest thing holding me back.

I also know that I if I ever did regularly start drinking or smoking, I'd have the sort of addictive personality that could spiral out of control. I give in to my impulses easily.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also keep caffeine to a minimum too. I only take it when I really need to stay awake. Don't like the idea of needing caffeine to function, but at the same time I have horrible sleep hygiene and am perpetually sleepy or prone to hypnotic sleepiness so I don't know.

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I don't. And to take it one step further, I also don't have caffeine or any form of drug at all whatsoever. The idea of injesting something that directly affects my brain chemistry is inherently scary to me.