• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
Aeris dies.

there's an FMV of sephiroth jumping down and stabbing her in the back.

Why do I have a clear memory of seeing this before the game came out? And thus when it happened in game, I'm like oh. No impact.

Anyone remember if it was in a demo disc or a TV commercial or something? I don't mean some internet troll, the internet barely was a thing back then. I mean some published form of media showed that scene before release. Anyone remember what I'm referring to because google is failing me.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nope. I did get spoiled by my friend with regard to who Deepthroat was in the original Metal Gear Solid. I couldn't react much because he was lending me the game after he was done playing. Same friend spoiled who Mr. X was in MGS2 and who was Adam in MGS3.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
I don't remember that. I do remember when they reviewed it on Toonami there were scenes of the ending. This was after launch though

signal

Oct 28, 2017
For like a decade everyone has always joked about Cloud sinking Aerith in some of the commercials.

All of the commercials just had the FMV footage though, they had to mix it up lol. I remember one of them had the post credits Red XIII running scene in it too.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The scene of Cloud sunking aeris into the lake after her death was on the back cover of most (all?) European releases.

But we got the game later I think

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The death of Aeris has been spoiled in the middle of the review of the PC version in the biggest (or one of the biggest) Polish gaming magazine at the time.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I remember a lot of people discussing ways of bringing Aeris back to life. Thanks jerks...

Of course we all know those were BS but it dulled the impact of that scene for me.

Feb 15, 2018
There was a demo disc (rolling demo) in the UK Official Playstation Magazine. To this day it is still the demo that has hyped me up the most for an upcoming game (and i was not disappointing when it released).

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I think that there was a TV commercial that showed Aeris's death to the narration of "a love that could never be"

Also the bradygames guide had an entire page or 2 showing the FMV unfolding.