• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I'd love to properly play chess. I love tactical games and such. But I just feel intimidated by all the rules and moves and shit. The netflix show was cool as fuck though.

In the meanwhile I enjoy football and literally any other sport that isn't ... board-based. But hopefully in the future I can get to enjoy chess as well!

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all talk about The Queen's Gambit but go rent this tonight or watch it on Prime.

Searching_for_bobby_fischer.jpg

One of my favorite films growing up.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to properly play chess. I love tactical games and such. But I just feel intimidated by all the rules and moves and shit. The netflix show was cool as fuck though.

In the meanwhile I enjoy football and literally any other sport that isn't ... board-based. But hopefully in the future I can get to enjoy chess as well!
Online sites can help because they show you what moves you're able to make with a piece. And on a site like chess.com there's a lot of very beginner players to play against.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

www.chess.com

Chess.com - Play Chess Online - Free Games

Play chess online for free on Chess.com with over 100 million members from around the world. Have fun playing with friends or challenging the computer!

The Learn tab should get you up and running. Then it's just a matter of playing games, which you can also do through that site. Just treat it like any other online competitive multiplayer game. Yeah you're probably not gonna be the best. But once you know a few principles, you can have some fun, win some and lose some. Haven't played in probably a decade or so myself, but I remember it basically being the only thing I thought about for a solid few years.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
OP you can't compare a single player game to a multiplayer game like that. Here's a better comparison:
Smash>Chess

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
Looks good even though it's early Access. Will buy when it goes on sale at Staem and on;ly if they patch back in RTWP.

Jul 26, 2018
Unfortunately I've never been able to get into chess, but I'd *love* to find a game that's mostly logic over timing/reflexes, e.g., tetris to learn and get better at it with time.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
Be honest OP, are you one of those people that goes "Chess is fine I guess, but Go and Shogi are far superior" any time Chess is brought up within your vicinity .

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
When I was in grade school someone came to our school with a new version of chess he had invented with an incredibly bizarre board with like loops and shit. I'll forever wonder what that was.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
Chess should have moved on to action-style combat a long time ago.
Nobody wants to play a turn-based game in 2021. What is this, nostalgia bait?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Well, we're heading straight for an Idiocracy with the speed of light anyway, so this fits right in. But no, chess is not just for smart people.

Dec 4, 2017
Yeah, the biggest issue with chess is that at high levels it's just a ton of rote memorization. Altering the starting positions or even pieces eliminates a lot of it.
I like the idea of combining Fisher's (semi)random placement with the fog of war concept (a la dark chess).

Though this obviously isn't usable outside of online chess play. Can't really implement fog of war with physical pieces.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Chess is dope but making it similar to Harry Potter would take that shit to the next level.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Chess is a finite two-player, zero-sum, perfect information game. Luck has no part in it. Theoretically, there is a perfect solution that will never lose. But only if you understand the 10^120 possible states of the board. Chess is no different from tic-tac-toe.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Imagine criticizing a game for being restrictive but praising Ocarina of Time, lol.

Nov 3, 2017
Though chess the game of kings has been
And in the even made me glad
The mask`d the truth of man has seen
So never can with chess we task`d

Henry Hill III.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Chess is crap, just like all those grid based strategy games. Fire Emblem, hey.

I'm joking, by the way.... I think.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Chess is good, but the current meta has been going on for like a century and a half now and I really feel it needs a shake-up. Balance patch when?

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
www.chess.com

Chess.com - Play Chess Online - Free Games

Play chess online for free on Chess.com with over 100 million members from around the world. Have fun playing with friends or challenging the computer!

The Learn tab should get you up and running. Then it's just a matter of playing games, which you can also do through that site. Just treat it like any other online competitive multiplayer game. Yeah you're probably not gonna be the best. But once you know a few principles, you can have some fun, win some and lose some. Haven't played in probably a decade or so myself, but I remember it basically being the only thing I thought about for a solid few years.
I started using chess.com a few days ago and can only recommend it.