• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, if Usain Bolt had been blasting some righteous ones in Berlin, could he have shaved 0.01 seconds off his world record time? Just something I thought of today while taking a run with the runs and thought someone might know the science on this one.

StarsTurnCold

Avenger
Apr 30, 2018
I mean, releasing the fart gas would propel you forward plus that's less weight weighing you down, allowing you to run faster. The science checks out.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
For sure! But not 0.01 faster in 100m I'd say...more like 0.00000001.

(Based in no hard science at all)

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Serious answer: No. Relaxing your sphincter to release a fart is definitely not something you'd be able to during a sprint.

Like, when i need to let one rip while running, i have to reduce my pace 🤷‍♂️

Oct 25, 2017
Back of the envelope math:

According to wikipedia
"The volume of flatus associated with each flatulence event again varies (5–375 mL)."

Let's give the benefit of the doubt and assume 1 L or 1000 mL. 1 L of air is approximately 1 grams.

Let's say it exits at a velocity of 10 m/s (which seems too high to me), but it won't make a difference.

added momentum by the fart is: m*v = 0.01 kg m/s

Assuming Bolt weights 100 kg, that means the far would propel him 0.1 mm/s

So theoretically: yes. In reality: no.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's like triggering the NOS in Fast and the Furious

Y9bK.gif

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't farts push you up? You'd extend extra effort trying to maintain a forward trajectory

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, OP, you're confusing rotational force with lateral velocity

The moment that Bolt breaks wind, one of his feet are very likely placed on the ground. His foot would act as a fulcrum. So, when the gas passes the ass, that would apply a torque across his body, tilting him forwards

Therefore, any increase of in Bolt's speed caused by a toot is outweighed by the chance his bum orchestra tilts him forward over his ankle and he lands face first into the dirt

jizzywinks

Oct 27, 2017
UK
No idea about speed, but one of big drawbacks of treadmill runs at the gym is that it's harder to get away with runner farts.

sleep

Aug 2, 2020
Well Justin Gatlin ran 9.45 with a massive tailwind, so clearly the motion of gasses can have an effect. QED.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Continually fart to propel yourself forward, while you pee on the ground ahead of you to keep yourself sliding forward like you're on skis. You're now an Olympic runner and you don't even need to move your legs.

rvku1.jpg