• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
It does for me, I'll definitely be put off by a longer game as I feel like I don't have as much spare time as I used to for gaming anymore, unless it's an absolute one in a lifetime game (such as botw and Odyssey this year).

It's why I love indies so much.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
It does affect it a bit. Based on certain qualities of a game I decide what price to buy it at and will wait until that price to purchase it.

So if a game is really short that knocks down the price for me. I waited until Titanfall 2 was about 10 dollars for instance, since I wasn't interested in the MP.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
If a game is single player only and has a campaign only 4 or 5 hours long I will wait for a price drop.
But a campaign length between 8 to 12 hours is fine with me, even preferred length, as most games drone on way too long anyway.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
No, don't care at all. As long as the game is worth spending time on that's what matters. I don't check movies or books for length either. It doesn't matter if a movie is two or three hours long or a book 400 or 800 pages, as long as they achieve what they set out to do. Some experiences require a certain length to be realised properly though.

Games are no different.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Length affect a bit as I prefer HQ shorter games and there is now over 6 100h+ games in my backlog, that I would like to complete before adding any more of those.

Sapo84

Oct 31, 2017
It doesn't really matter much if I'm sure I'm gonna like the game.
If I'm not I prefer shorter experiences since they take up less of my time (and let me have more time to clear my games/movies/tv series/books backlog), and dropping a game halfway always feels bad.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Nah, I'm all about quality over quantity, and a major bugbear of mine this gen is games that last too long. I'm sick of the bloat. Nier: Automata damn near killed me in that respect.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
The only great AAA game to come out this year that I haven't purchased is Persona 5 and that's not because it's too short but rather because it's too long. I like variety and I like finishing games so if you present me with something that is a minimum 90 hours from beginning to end it's just not going to happen.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but not because of a value proposition. Because of work and life and"adulting" I don't always have the time to sink into giant games. For me the quality of the game is what is important , not the quantity..but sometimes I'm simply not able (or don't want to) to play a game because of it's length.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. If I expect to be able to beat a game in 20 hours or less I typically won't buy it until it goes on sale. Especially for linear campaigns that I don't expect to have much replay value.

PrimeTime

Oct 29, 2017
If the multiple playthrew reward is interesting, i mean why not it can be consider. But im not a fan of those trophies, unlocking them or not doesnt change my gaming experience.

Games like Until Dawn really benefit from this. If there are branching storylines it's fun to go back and see how the story plays out based on different decisions. Also, the "Immersive Sim" encourages multiple playthroughs using different styles of gameplay (stealth vs assassin, good vs. evil).

rbanke

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
It does but not for the normal reasons. I just don't have the time and energy to play something that goes on and on for 30+ hours. This is also my main issue with games as a service, it's open ended. I'm much less likely to play a game if I hear its a service that will drag on for ever or takes 50 hours to get through.

OP
OP
HighFive

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Games like Until Dawn really benefit from this. If there are branching storylines it's fun to go back and see how the story plays out based on different decisions. Also, the "Immersive Sim" encourages multiple playthroughs using different styles of gameplay (stealth vs assassin, good vs. evil).

I think you point the perfect example of a short game that reward you for multiple playthrew. Its not a long game, but playing it multiple time, making different choice add to the replay value of it. Its a game that deserve being purchase full price.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Not purchase decision, but day 1 purchase decision. I will never pay full price for a short game. If i know a game is about 10hours or less i wait for it to be around 20$ to buy it. Unless its a short game with alot of replay value.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Yes, it affects the value proposition. I would never be turned off from a game because it's too short but it would affect how I view its worth. I would find it difficult to justify a game like South Park: The Stick of Truth at full price for example because of its very short length and zero replay value.

I don't really understand the problem of some people finding games to be "too long". For me if I expect a game to be the most enjoyable thing I could play at the moment then it would only be a positive if the length of that game was long rather than short since it's a longer period of enjoyment. I wound up playing the Witcher 3 and Persona 5 over a period of months rather than weeks and I enjoyed every moment of both and certainly wouldn't have preferred to have played 2 or 3 smaller and less enjoyable games in that timeframe instead.

ChillyBilly

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. If a game looks interesting and it's something I want to play, I'll play it. Sometimes you get a few hours, sometimes you get hundreds.

Gun Dog

Oct 27, 2017
One of the reasons I will not play a more "traditional MMO" is because of the time required for me to see the content that I want.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, I'd rather have 4-5 hours of thrill than 100 hours of mediocre entertainment.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm perfectly fine paying full price for a short game if it's something I'm interested in, but if I know it's too long I'll try to wait until I know I'll realistically play and beat it... In most cases anyway, because a bunch of the games I happen to like are pretty long.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me the length doesn't influence me whether I purchase or not...that being said it does influence priority and order of what to play. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by longer games with more content and would feel better checking out the shorter ones first.

Game length being to long can have me justify not following through on a purchase I was on the fence about or not too serious about.

LunarEmerald

Oct 27, 2017
Game length is very important. I don't want to spend $60 for a 10 hour game. I think $1 = 1 hour is a good system. For a game to be truly worth $60 then you need to spend 60 hours on it. Which includes: main story, multiplayer, side quests, post game content, replayability.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only in extreme cases. I won't buy a full price digital version of a game which can be fully finished in less than 10 hours. I either wait for a sale or buy a retail version and then sell it. If it's a 15-20 dollar game I don't care about the length, it can even be 2-3 hours (hello most walking sims ;)) as long as the game delivers.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't used to, but my gaming budget is drastically lower than it used to be so i'm very selective with my games these days. Often buying games a year or two after release (just grabbed The Wither 3 complete for $20) with a focus on GaaS or MMO's as they are often a great value for how much time you can get out of them.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
I almost always buy my content on sales. Some exceptions are games like Mario Odyssey.
I've put in a few hours into the game and I'm about to beat it already.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not at all, in fact needless padding turns me off to a game

if a game is quality and appeals to me I'm there

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Depends on whats the game going to offer and how much. I don't mind paying $60 for a rock solid game thats 6 hours long!

Chowchilla

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm playing through Evil Within 2 and thats about as a big an open word I can deal with now.

Last traditional open world game I completed was Sleeping Dogs because I loved the setting.

Got bored of Horizon, Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed 2.

So.. no. The shorter and tighter the story is the better.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Yes, some times. But for the opposite reason as for most people. I'm a little bit tired of all the 50+ hours "games as a service" games at the moment and if I hear that a game only goes 6-8 hours, it's a huuuuge plus for me and a reason to buy it.

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't really affect my decision, but I will admit I can't stand a lot of filler/busy work in my games. It's why I didn't make it through horizon zero Dawn.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yep. usually the shorter the better. i only really look for long play times if it's an RPG. games i've played recently or currently playing are all short.

(times from How Long to Beat)
limbo - 3 1/2 to 4 hours
inside - 3 1/2 to 4 hours
game of thrones telltale - 12 1/2 hours
walking dead telltale - 7 1/2 hours
hellblade - 7 to 8 hours
fractured but whole - 16 to 19 1/2 hours

it's just that i'm really slow at stuff be it playing a game, reading a book, or watching a tv show. i wish i could just sit down and consume for hours at a time but i can't. the only games within the last few years i've played for over 100 hours are witcher 3 + rocket league. most games are <50 hours and only a few between 50-100.

Cid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has never crossed my mind.
This topic is the first time I think about this idea.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I rent most of my games or sell them when I finish them so length doesn't really impact my habits all that much. To be honest I try to avoid long games these days, I just get worn out after 25 hours, unless it's a never-ending MP game like Mario Kart where I can just play it for 20 mins here and there.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
I try to get $1 per hour out of my games. It doesn't always work out, but I'm very selective on what games I buy.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
It can affect when I purchase a game and at what price. Depending on what's going on in my life, I prefer longer or shorter games.