• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression that iOS let you do split screen on apps like Android but someone just told me that it still can't. Is that true?

Crazy if so.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
It's stupid that it's missing. It's only available on the iPad, and is an obvious miss right now for power users.

That said, we've had this thread a bunch in the last year.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's stupid that it's missing. It's only available on the iPad, and is an obvious miss right now for power users.

That said, we've had this thread a bunch in the last year.

My bad, it's just shocking the things that iOS doesn't have in comparison to the competition.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression that iOS let you do split screen on apps like Android but someone just told me that it still can't. Is that true?

Crazy if so.

On ipad you can run up to four apps at once (split screen, one floating, one picture-in-picture video). I use it frequently.

On iPhone X you can slide between apps effortlessly and I've never been bothered by the lack of it.

My bad, it's just shocking the things that iOS doesn't have in comparison to the competition.

Oh, this is a platform war thread in disguise.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
iOS allows it, but only on the iPad, not the iPhone. Doesn't really make sense because the Plus models can definitely handle it. They probably won't add it in iOS 12 since that's (from the rumors) mostly bug fixes/optimization/speed improvements, but hopefully with iOS 13.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
YouTube doesn't even allow you to close the app and listen to the audio, they're probably want money to allow you to split screen
You need a YouTube Red for background audio, but split screen is something free that works on Android and iPad. iOS just doesn't do split screen on smaller devices, I guess.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You need a YouTube Red for background audio, but split screen is something free that works on Android and iPad. iOS just doesn't do split screen on smaller devices, I guess.

Any idea why YouTube doesn't allow PIP on the iPad? I could've sworn 3rd party apps use to have this feature but I think YouTube stopped it from being a thing, I guess to support Red?

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Any idea why YouTube doesn't allow PIP on the iPad? I could've sworn 3rd party apps use to have this feature but I think YouTube stopped it from being a thing, I guess to support Red?
Yeah, I can only assume it's because of Red. PIP works great with Hulu and DirecTV Now, for example.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On ipad you can run up to four apps at once (split screen, one floating, one picture-in-picture video). I use it frequently.

On iPhone X you can slide between apps effortlessly and I've never been bothered by the lack of it.

Oh, this is a platform war thread in disguise.

I'm pretty sure we had this exact same thread like a month ago

Oct 25, 2017
This is a separate question, but before with YouTube videos on era for example, I could play them and exit fullscreen without interrupting the video, and they would keep playing in the background as I browsed. Now however they're either fullscreen or they won't play.

Is this an Era issue or iOS issue? I can't recall what caused to stop working, since the site update and iOS11 update blurred together for me.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like split screen on iPhone, the one thing I miss from my iPad.
What else, though?
Can you change default apps yet? If so that's another big one that iOS didn't have for a long time

It's not like Android has had it since time immemorial. It's been there since 2016.

Im sure Apple will deign to give it to us eventually :P

Eh I remember using it on my note 3 and it probably wasn't a new feature then either

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Split screen is so overrated it's trash on Android and it's trash on iPad, what it really lacks on the iPhone which is a shame is picture in picture.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It does on big screen devices like iPads. Not on a phone though, although to be fair I've never considered using a tiny screen on a phone for multitasking.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does on big screen devices like iPads. Not on a phone though, although to be fair I've never considered using a tiny screen on a phone for multitasking.
It's nice if you are emailing someone and doing research on the browser or wanna browse and watch YouTube at the same time. Plenty of good use cases for it imo

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice if you are emailing someone and doing research on the browser or wanna browse and watch YouTube at the same time. Plenty of good use cases for it imo

The former is a good example I have not thought off. But the latter? That would be super awkward on a phone, that's more of a tablet or laptop use case.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Can you change default apps yet? If so that's another big one that iOS didn't have for a long time

Eh I remember using it on my note 3 and it probably wasn't a new feature then either
People love to hate Samsung's TouchWiz interface, but their phones have had features that stock Android didn't get until years later. I'm pretty sure Samsung phones had split screen for about three years before it was on stock Android.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017

Samsung had their own implementation of it prior to Android officially supporting it. It was limited, as apps had to have support built in, but it was something. 2016 sounds about right for actual Android support.

Status
Not open for further replies.