• I’m not that petty

Votes: 91 6.4%
  • Who gives a shit? It’s a phone anyway

Votes: 1,330 92.9%

• Total voters

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Never heard anyone make a big deal over it. I just view it as all smart phones are cell phones, but not all cell phones are smart phones, and figure these days when you say cell phone most people would just assume you're talking about an Android or iPhone device.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
It bugs me more when people seriously use the phrase "smartphone." It's a phone. It's the default.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Who the fuck says smartphone? At this point it's only marketing talk. Normal people just say phone.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
When you want to differentiate between different types of cellphones, I thought it was smart phones vs feature phones. Or dumb phones.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
No but it bothers me when someone called a controller for a console a remote.

Unless it's the Wii controller anyway.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yes, it bugs me when people don't call them mobile phones.

/s btw, smartphone, cellphone, mobile phone, all the same to me. Nobody uses the term cellphone here though.

OP
OP
RisingStar

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I don't know what your instructor teaches but they sound like an idiot.

A smartphone *is* a cellphone or mobile phone. 'Smartphone' is really just a marketing thing that's out of date since every phone nowadays is a 'smart' phone.

He's the instructor of the day for a PM certification. Dudes retired with a heavy IT professional career.

So yes, none of it makes sense.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Currently in class right now and the instructor spent quite possibly 5-10 mins complaining about laggards still calling smartphones cellphones in a rather unrelated matter to the subject of the course.

I personally don't give a toss but the amount of participants on the Zoom chat going off as well; I'm actually curious if this is that big of a deal?

I personally interchange between the two, or just call it a bloody phone.
Screw that instructor. "Hey text me on my cell" or "hey text me on my smart".

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Smartphones made everyone dumb!

It doesn't matter to me what people call it. There are barely any true cell phones on the market anymore outside of a very small selection at carriers and then the "burner phone" market.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Most people just say phone. "Put your phone away", "I lost my phone", etc. I could be wrong, but it seems that the only time people use "smartphone" is when a store is advertising them, like "Come check out our selection of smartphones!".

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
He's the instructor of the day for a PM certification. Dudes retired with a heavy IT professional career.

So yes, none of it makes sense.

Actually that kinda makes sense - retired tech people with long careers tend to develop very specific opinions that they put a lot of energy into defending/pushing.

You should start referring to your phone as your wireless phone or videophone just to fuck with him.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone would know what you mean either way, and most people just call it a phone anyways.

OP
OP
RisingStar

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Actually that kinda makes sense - retired tech people with long careers tend to develop very specific opinions that they put a lot of energy into defending/pushing.

You should start referring to your phone as your wireless phone or videophone just to fuck with him.

The reason he went into the rant in the first place was when someone said I call it a cellphone lol. Poor guy got dog piled.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I continue to find it ridiculous that we call them phones at all, given that the phone is probably one of the least used functions of it at this point for most people.

Bengraven