Oct 25, 2017
Shut up every game Platinum does is amazing

But srsly, They've still had way more hits than misses, and the duds so far have been mostly due to rushed development from a Licensor.
Bayo3 is going to be off the hook, Astral Chain's gonna be off the Chain, and I still have hope for a W101 port and a Scalebound Nintendo Moneyhat.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly? They never did.

The only two Platinum games I liked were Vanquish and Nier Automata, and even then I thought they were good, but not amazingly great.

Astral Chain does look fun though.

Shizzlee

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the IP. If they make another MGR, I will be there day 1. If Sega remembers that Madworld/Anarchy Reigns exists, I'm there day 1. Astral Chain looks really good. Might dust off the switch with it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It does depend, but generally I do end up buying their games day 1. Astral Chain will be no expectation.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the Activision licensed games, and Star Fox I guess, all of their action game work has remained stellar. Zero reason to doubt Astral Chain.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
They never had it for me, only game from them I've loved is Metal Gear Rising (though I really love MGR), everything else has either underwhelmed or I just haven't got to yet (Nier being the big one, the demo didn't leave a great impression though).

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
seems like most of their misses have been on other peeps IP sans Revengence (technically Nier I guess) When they are given time and space to go all in, they seem to deliver. And this is coming from someone who isn't super into most of their output.

But Nier A is in my top 10, top 15 at the least...so yeah whatever they do next has my attention.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Transformers is one of the best action games I've ever played. Such a shame about the loot/weapons system, because I think that turned off a lot of people who would have loved it.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
They don't have that status and never did. However, they'll always have my attention. When Platinum is on their A game, few studios in the world can match them.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't really like any of their games tbh. I played the Nier demo on PS4 pro and that it was a chore.

I am sure they are a good studio but their games are not for me

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
it depends on the game tier... and my budget.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
They never had this status for me, out of those listed in the OP I have Star Fox (my Zero came with Guard) and Nier Automata. I'll more than likely be getting Astral Chain though.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I haven't bought any of their games day one and still don't plan to, so nothing's changed for me.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The gamepad wasn't really the problem with StarFox Zero. There was one segment where it was forced. The problem was that the game felt half-finished. Some of the planets were cool and very well-realized but it felt wanting compared to StarFox 64 or even Assault in terms of just having stuff to do.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The gamepad wasn't really the problem with StarFox Zero. There was one segment where it was forced. The problem was that the game felt half-finished. Some of the planets were cool and very well-realized but it felt wanting compared to StarFox 64 or even Assault in terms of just having stuff to do.

This reads like someone who didn't actually master Zero. As someone who beat it and 64 100 percent I can attest Zero is more engaging and stressful to play and rarely stops moving. SF64 has a lot of stretches of doing nothing and is much more simple but there is beauty there because it's less clunky feeling.

Zero has legitimate issues but it's a damn fine game that absolutely captures that feeling of mastery leads to greatness that old arcade games and such evoked. It took so much shit because it dared require the user to learn a new way to play but damn did it stick the landing for those who stuck it out. The coop on replay was great fun as well. I imagine this being the perfect game to get as a kid who had no choice but to make the best of it, only to push through and create a good childhood memory.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No. They lost me a long time ago. The fact that nearly every game they've put out in the past three or four years has been "Bayonetta, but with [X] this time" really just bores me now.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Platinum with a budget, absolutely. Only games of theirs I haven't shown up for are Star fox/TMNT/Infinite Space.

The rest I've played and enjoyed.

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually cautiously optimistic about Bayo 3 because of the changes in the combat mechanics in Bayo 2 were questionable.

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
Never did.

Games I've played are Vanquish and Nier: Automata. Would've tried The Wonderful 101, but never bought a Wii U. Bayonetta is cool, but never bought it either. Loved Okami and liked Viewtiful Joe during their Clover Stuido days.

I usually don't buy games day one anyways. Only a few games, usually multiplayer ones.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, they are absolutely hit and miss, plus their games' prices go down quickly usually, so no need to put 70 Euros in blind when I can spend like half of that waiting a month or two.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Nah, will read up and check on impressions just like a lot of games I purchase.

Platinum is not that special to warrant blind buys.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Not for their licensed games but for their other stuff? HELL YEAH.

I'm there DAY ONE for Astral Chain for sure.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
They're kind of in the background these days. The last time i was impressed with how they craft their core game was Transformers: Devastation. Automata was still smooth but very -whatever- once you try to actively engage with the mechanics.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Going by your list, all I see is three low budget Activision licensed stuff which is arguably decent. A Star Fox game that you can entirely blame on Nintendo's end and Nier, which is amazing...

So yes, Platinum hasn't let me down so far.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been interested in a single Platinum game, so no. But no developer has ever had this status with me.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I skipped the lower budget Activision games and Star Fox since I cannot be brought to care about anything Star Fox, so I have yet to be disappointed by them. NieR:Automata was one of my favourite games of that year, and liked it more than the stuff than 2018 and current 2019 releases.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
They never did for me at least. Really love Metal Gear Rising, but that's about it.

Disliked Nier automata ..

Transformers decent but nothing more...

Vanquish was actually quite good, but somehow never finished it.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
They've always been inconsistent as heck.
I got Bayo 2 and MGR at launch, but that's it. I'm a huge fan of their good games, but the quality varies wildly.

Except for Transformers, everything in the OP are the only ones (aside from that DS game) I haven't played.