• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For P5, that's not quite true. Remember this?

P5-at-E3-2016.jpg

Persona 5 did have a substantial show floor showing with exclusive footage at E3 2016. That was remarkable because they don't usually do that sort of thing.

But yes, part of the reason this announcement was so unexpected here was because Atlus isn't the type to actually reveal anything big at a Western event. It'd have to be tied to a big property that it's collaborating with which is more globally oriented, like Smash.
I meant at the stage, to be clear (if I remember right, P5 was actually the E3 visitor badge game in 2015 and 2016, so it did have some promotion).

yeah but a generation later.
Seems unlikely to me, as much as I would want it
Not a generation later, three years later. FF7 on Wii U was never going to happen, given the Wii U was what it was, and that Square was aware of the Switch.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dont they have Catherine and the Dancing games running the Persona 5 engine on Vita? Seems scalable (P5 on Vita? Lol)
Neither use the Persona 5 engine. Catherine is Gamebryo. P5D/P3D are a version of the same engine they used for P4D.
I meant at the stage, to be clear (if I remember right, P5 was actually the E3 visitor badge game in 2015 and 2016, so it did have some promotion).
Gotcha. Yeah, Persona 5 never even had its own segment at any of the E3 conferences.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't see why not. all the previous persona games have had handheld versions, and switch is the only remaining relevant handheld on the market. having a dlc character in smash is also very good marketing for your game, so if they're smart they'll have the port ready for around when the dlc comes. if it's an enhanced kinda port, they can sell the enhanced version for ps4 too, or offer the extra content as dlc for people who already have the game.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I honestly believe it's time to evolve into full multi (with xbox and pc alongside switch).

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Probably, it's probably going to take a bit, but Persona has always had multiple versions of the same iteration. It not reaching Nintendo platforms has always been excused by a number of things that are not the case nowadays (not the right hardware, budget, wrong audience, WiiU being the WiiU, etc.), and with the Vita gone, the Switch is the only suitable platform for portable Persona. I fully expect a Persona 5 Rose Gold or something.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, it would be nice to get a FES/Golden version of P5 and the more platforms the merrier.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I will throw all the money I have at Persona 5 Switch Edition and I think plenty of Atlus fans would do the same.

With this Smash announcement; Atlus would be crazy if they weren't trying to get the ball rolling and I'm pretty sure Nintendo is trying to get it done.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Joker is not an industry icon nor has he been pseudo-adopted by Nintendo. Q2 works as an excuse to get him in, but I don't see why Nintendo would want him unless they can use Joker to promote the main game itself.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much the entire reason Atlus almost never touches anything other than Playstation for home console is because they just didn't bother developing for anything other than Playstation due to being scarce on budget and resources while being familiar with Playstation development more than any other of its contemporaries.

Since SMTV is going to be on Switch and this Persona x Smash collaboration. I'm willing to bet that Nintendo is able to provide them with the help and resources they need. As such Persona 5 on Switch is not unlikely.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people are comparing Joker with Snake and Cloud.

Snake and Cloud are gaming icons, so their inclusions in Smash benefit Nintendo regardless of wether or not these series will appear on Nintendo Switch in the future.

Joker being in Smash only benefit Nintendo if Persona 5 ends up being on Switch.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Snake didn't lead to more Metal Gear games and Cloud didn't lead to more Final Fantasy games

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
It seems a lot more likely now; I didn't really think it would happen prior to this announcement. Jack Frost was still robbed though; come on Nintendo, unless this port happens, Joker made about as much sense as Mara for Smash.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Snake didn't lead to more Metal Gear games and Cloud didn't lead to more Final Fantasy games
I don't get why people are comparing Joker with Snake and Cloud.

Snake and Cloud are gaming icons, so their inclusions in Smash benefit Nintendo regardless of wether or not these series will appear on Nintendo Switch in the future.

Joker being in Smash only benefit Nintendo if Persona 5 ends up being on Switch.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely think so. With Atlus already loving to make enhanced versions of the Persona games, I could definitely see P5's turn at it showing up on Switch.

monapon

Nov 9, 2017
It definitely makes sense and would certainly be doable tech-wise. Atlus and Sega seem pretty cozy with Nintendo so it's not like it would be out of the blue and it'd be a good opportunity to make some extra money for all involved especially now that it's clear the Switch is doing well. Maybe drum up some interest for SMT V as well.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
In that case they can just clean up the IQ and put it on PS4 as is, ala the PS4 version of P5.
Nothing precludes that from happening either.

Of course, I said exacly that, a port of SMTV could/can happen.
But it won't be on PS4 graphics level - because that would more expensive, I believe, that's all. Maybe that's considered an impediment (being compared to other rpgs of the system), maybe not.

The thing is, every game not made by Nintendo can appear in any system. But why speculate when/if there's absolutely no basis for that.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my guess: they're working on an enhanced version, will launch it simultaneously on ps4 and switch, and will offer the extra content as dlc for people who have the base game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
totes gonna happen. they're not gonna pass up secondary sales. P3P and P4G proven that there's a lot of money in it and they already established a trend

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, I said everytime that, a port of SMTV can happen.
But it won't be on PS4 graphics level - because that would more expensive, I believe, that's all. Maybe that's considered an impediment (being compared to other rpgs of the system), maybe not.

The thing is, every game not made by Nintendo can appear in any system. But why speculate when there's absolutely no basis for that.
Definitely, I'm just saying Atlus is comfortable with it being a graphically simpler game that has a strong art style and clean IQ on PS4, judging by P5, the Dancing games, and Catherine.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
the true question here is: when is the nintendo direct that will announce P5 switch and finally show MP4

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I feel it would be a missed opportunity if they didn't. The game already can run on less powerful consoles (the PS3, I mean) so I don't see why it couldn't run on Switch. Persona 5 isn't exactly the most technically demanding game.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
my guess: they're working on an enhanced version, will launch it simultaneously on ps4 and switch, and will offer the extra content as dlc for people who have the base game.

This sounds extremely likely actually.

With Catherine Full Body coming out next year (presumably), if Persona 5 comes to the Switch, I think it might be late 2019 or 2020 even. Atlus takes their sweet time releasing stuff.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm assuming this isn't happening because Atlus doesn't port many of their games.

I'm expecting some sort of Persona content coming to the Switch in addition to Persona Arena but P5 will stay exclusive with PS4.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Possibly. Cloud was announced for Smash before FFVII comes to Switch.

It would be a great system for P5 to be on, since the Vita is dead.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Of course it's happening. Pretty much everyone agrees in the joker reveal thread. Good. I'll get to try this game. Perfect for switch with how much of a slog I've heard it is

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming this isn't happening because Atlus doesn't port many of their games.

I'm expecting some sort of Persona content coming to the Switch in addition to Persona Arena but P5 will stay exclusive with PS4.
I don't know where this myth comes from:
  • Persona
  • Persona 2: Innocent Sin
  • Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
  • Persona 3
  • Persona 4
  • Catherine
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
  • Radiant Historia
  • Soul Hackers
Off the top of my head, literally all got ported.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.