giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I was going through my NeoGeo collection on my Switch the other day, and it dawned on me that SNK's extremely expensive console from 1990 might have the most consistent library of games quality-wise. While the latter half of the console's life lacked diversity in a big way (it became the de facto fighting game machine), that didn't take away from the quality of those titles. So much of what it did do in other genres was good to fantastic. It really doesn't have much shovelware/bad games.

I think the best word to describe the quality of the AES'' library: fun.

Here's just a taster-choice of some of the great games of the system.

Metal Slug

Metal_Slug_2_Gameplay_Best_Neo_Geo_Games.jpg

Magical Drop

Magial_Drop_3_Gameplay_Best_Neo_Geo_Games-1160x653.jpg

King of Fighters 2002

King_Of_Fighters_2002_Neo_Geo_Gameplay_SNK.jpg

Cyber-Lip

Neo_Geo_Cyber_Lip_Gameplay-1160x580.jpg

Neo Turf Masters

Neo_Geo_Neo_Turf_Masters_Gameplay.jpeg

Last Resort

last-resort-neo-geo-gameplay-1-800x500.jpg

Windjammers

windjammers-gameplay.jpg

Fatal Fury Special

fatal-fury-special-gameplay.png

King of Fighter '98

maxresdefault.jpg

Magician Lord

maxresdefault.jpg

Shock Troopers

484576-sh.jpg

Samurai Showdown

samshoii.jpg

Aero Fighters 2

Switch_ACANEOGEO-AeroFighters2_01.jpg

Garou: Mark of the Wolves

518595-garou%20ps4%20xbox%20one.jpg

The Super Spy

The_Super_Spy_Neo_Geo_Gameplay.png

Robo Army

Robo_Army_Gameplay_Neo_Geo.jpg

League Bowling

league-bowling-gameplay-best-neo-geo-games.jpg

Baseball Stars 2

Neo_Geo_Baseball_Stars_2_gameplay-1.jpg

So what do you think? Is there an argument to be had about the MVS' library being the most consistent? If not, what's your pick?

Last edited:

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, while there's not that much variety genre-wise, I think the quality of the Neo Geo library is quite high.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
I think so, it's really hard to find a bad neo geo game. Also impressive is that it lasted for over a decade.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I feel like it has a very high quality average for the set of games in its library, but its library also lacks many high quality entries in various genres, so the answer is kind of "yes but also no".

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
It's missing a lot of good beat em ups, but yeah, for the library size, it's pretty darn good.

That said, I think I prefer the CPS2 hardware more.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's kind of cheating since it really was an arcade system first and console second. But yea, nearly all of its games are at least decent, and some are up there as the best of their genre.

But it's not the type of system that was at all conducive to shovel ware or low quality games due to the niche focus on the arcade. Remember, the AES was originally designed as a rental system for hotels, bars, and restaurants. So most developers who made poor quality games had zero incentive to focus on it. The audience was arcade enthusiasts so the games HAD to be good.

OP
OP
giallo

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
It's kind of cheating since it really was an arcade system first and console second. But yea, nearly all of its games are at least decent, and some are up there as the best of their genre.

But it's not the type of system that was at all conducive to shovel ware or low quality games due to the niche focus on the arcade. Remember, the AES was originally designed as a rental system for hotels, bars, and restaurants. So most developers who made poor quality games had zero incentive to focus on it. The audience was arcade enthusiasts so the games HAD to be good.

That's a good point, and something I was thinking as well. Due to its arcade focus, you needed proper cheese to lure the arcade rats, so shovelware wasn't going to fly.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Not sure if the ratio is quite as good, but I'd almost put Dreamcast in this contest. Dreamcast has a hell of a lot of great games, and the "bad" ones are generally the lazy PlayStation ports.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Yes. It's not the most varied console library, but that's a HUGE library of quality first party titles. Like it rarely hits the heights of other great consoles, but it has almost NONE of the abysmal lows even the greatest consoles have. Most of the worst games still be 7/10.

GameOver

Jan 26, 2021
At the beginning yes but them Saturn showed up with good quality SNK ports plus Capcom amazing near arcade perfect ports of Street Fighterand the VS series and then Dreamcast by the tail end of the life of the console.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

Good post.

It's missing a lot of good beat em ups

Sengoku 3 is a godly beat em up that gets slept on, check it out.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
It's an incredibly high quality library but also a much different sort of demographic and library focus that you got on consoles. It definitely has the highest good game to bad game ratio of any console, but there are lots of other console's overall libraries i'd prefer over it.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still partial to the Dreamcast. The Neo Geo was a pipe dream for so many as it was unaffordable.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
That's one of the perks of having a library that's made up entirely of arcade games. You're guaranteed a wealth of consistent and entertaining content.

The Super Spy though...oh boy. That game did not need to be 2 hours long.

Nov 12, 2017
This and cps 1 -3 are some of my favourite and will end up collecting when I have a place big enough was and still is an amazing system

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
AGAIN CHANGES TO HELL

Yeah I can understand disliking Magician Lord. Those immortal words above are engraved upon my skull.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I went to Incredible Universe in Dallas in the 90s and saw an entire shelf of close-out AES games. I didn't buy anything and I'll never forget.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I mean what is the argument against it?

No other console that I can think of was half as consistent as the Neo Geo.

It didn't have the most varied library or a diverse genre but imagine your chances of picking a good game if you tried it at random with any other console other than Neo Geo.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I enjoy playing the first few levels over and over. I really like the music and transformation mechanic, as well as the general aesthetic of Magician Lord. But GOOD GOD does it get too difficult for its own good. I either get overwhelmed by the trident-wielding frogmen, or the flying skeleton fish. But I do have fun until then lol

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Using a neo sd pro and I can definitely say there are lots of good stuff, and plenty of junk as well.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney

Yep this. Even the AES wasn't originally designed as a consumer system.

Hm, not growing up playing Neo-Geo games and only really digging into them in the past 7-8 years, I don't think this assumption is entirely accurate.

I do think you may be right on the general overall quality of the games. Many of the games - probably 70% percent - are good to great games.

But, yet, I'd choose many other consoles over it for better library, and I can't quite explain why. I think it's because it doesn't have any absolute best games of the generation(s). I may be wrong here, since I'm so new to the library, but being limited to only arcade-style games makes it a tougher sell for me.

But yea, nearly all of its games are at least decent, and some are up there as the best of their genre.

I am actually interested in learning more about the best (or excellent) games of the respective genres on the NeoGeo.
I've probably played them. My personal favorite fighting game - Mark of the Wolves - is obviously on NeoGeo.
In fact, I think I greatly prefer the NeoGeo fighting games to any Capcom fighter.

For almost every other arcade genre, though (beat em ups, shmups, run n guns) I prefer Capcom games.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I believe this could be proven with math. From 158 officially released games less than 10 can be considered bad games, thats less than 10% of its library. I'm sure any other system has way more than 10% of bad games.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
There's another Neo Geo with an even higher quality title ratio.

Neo Geo Pocket Color. Almost everything released for it is worth playing.

May 24, 2019
You'd have to assume the audience was too discerning to try and publish too much crap.
There aren't many confused mums buying their kids $200 shovelware.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the most significant aspect to this is the amount of weight that SNK is personally pulling with the library.

Not to say that SNK was bad or anything, but imagine the consistency you'd get if you took a Nintendo console and got rid of almost anything that wasn't Nintendo.

That said, Breakers Revenge and Twinkle Star Sprites are rad.

OP
OP
giallo

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
9 out of 10 games are worth playing still today!

My sentimental favorite:

KOF'96

A quick aside:

I just bought the KOF Collection: The Orochi Saga (which has KOF '96), and the collection straight up don't work on the PS5. You can get to the 'press start' screen, but no button input works after that.

Oct 26, 2017
Probably, if nothing else simply because SNK published a ton of really solid games and there was a huge risk to put out a bad game on those expensive carts. But there are a lot of games that are quite average.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017

I agree with everything you said!

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah bit it was literally an home arcade set up. I only knew one person that had a neogeo, if I remember correctly the games were super expensive. It was really cool but hard to compare to other systems at the time...it felt untouchable to most of my crew due to the costs

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Neo Geo was one of those consoles alongside stuff like 3DO and Philips CD-i that my friends and I never considered seriously because they were for rich kids whose parents would buy them anything they asked for, i.e. not us.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Eh…depends.

They obviously did pretty good fighting games, but beyond that I found their beat 'em ups to be mediocre. Games like Cyberlip and Magician Lord were just okay. Shooters were okay, but not among the best in the industry.

I guess you could say it had a higher quality overall since it had very little support.

Game for game it'd come in last place among that generation's consoles, for me. And I say this as a former AES owner back in the day.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
a great library all around..

My only issue is that I feel like a lot of games for the MVS were difficult in a "cheap" way.. like they were primarily designed to function as arcade games that were made to suck cash out of players.

OP
OP
giallo

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Yeah bit it was literally an home arcade set up. I only knew one person that had a neogeo, if I remember correctly the games were super expensive. It was really cool but hard to compare to other systems at the time...it felt untouchable to most of my crew due to the costs

I never knew anyone who owned a NeoGeo back in the day. I'm ashamed to say that if young me did find out someone had one, I would have befriended him solely to play it.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Fair assessment, I think. Its biggest weakness were probably the 2 or 3 racing games. Those were pretty butt.

Also visually speaking plenty of games looking timelessly beautiful.