• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, you insulted me for no real reason. Now you are asking me questions about police dogs?
I didn't insult you dude. You are technically an animal, as we all are. You claimed animals are unpredictable and not comparable to humans, so I pointed out the obvious.

You are also mistaken in that training makes no difference to the inherent danger of an animal, so go ahead and refute that if you like, or can.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
muzzle them, muzzle them in public in a populated city
Absolutely. Muzzles, especially in very crowded places, are necessary.

Well, you insulted me for no real reason. Now you are asking me questions about police dogs?
...you think that was an insult? Humans are animals ffs. I believe that's what Nerfgun was saying.

because
This is ultimately a problem because there's a certain type of person deliberately seeking the breed out and causing problems. It's not inherently a problem with the dogs, it's a problem with the people who explicitly want those dogs.
True. But I wonder if the focus wouldn't just switch. Rottweilers, Dobermann and German Shepherd could be easy replacements for these people. I think our best bet is mandatory training, at least in the city.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I didn't insult you dude. You are technically an animal, as we all are. You claimed animals are unpredictable and not comparable to humans, so I pointed out the obvious.

You are also mistaken in that training makes no difference to the inherent danger of an animal, so go ahead and refute that if you like, or can.

In society? We are not animals, no. Animals do not share the same laws and regulations as people. This dog has a high probability of being destroyed.

A well trained dog is not always going to behalf in the same manner. Being in a unique or unsafe environment can change a lot of things. It's also being surrounded by foreign people. As a dog owner, it's their responsibility to not only train the dog, but to ensure you aren't endangering the dog or other people's lives. It's absurd to believe your dog could never pose any sort of threat in any situation.

Hank Hill

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 25, 2017
bag-dog1.jpg
LMAO.What the hell is this?

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
The lady sounds like a complete moron unless we're missing some aggressive dialogue coming from the dog owner or something. The article says that the train was arriving somewhere which means that they weren't at a stop. She walked up to this guy and his dog and berated him for taking the dog on the train. I mean, fine, he wasn't supposed to take the dog on the train but what was she hoping to accomplish by confronting him while the train was still moving? What was he realistically going to do at that point? It's really hard to be sympathetic for her when she just starts pushing the dog. Who the fuck does that?

If it's against the rules or breaking the law to bring your dog on the train, there's nothing wrong with letting that person know. But that lady handled the situation very poorly. She escalated things way beyond what was necessary. All of that being said, the guy handled the situation poorly as well. He also escalated things unnecessarily and whether he knew that he couldn't bring dogs on the train or not, he shouldn't have brought such a powerful animal to a public space if he couldn't control it or is emotions.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
The lady sounds like a complete moron unless we're missing some aggressive dialogue coming from the dog owner or something. The article says that the train was arriving somewhere which means that they weren't at a stop. She walked up to this guy and his dog and berated him for taking the dog on the train. I mean, fine, he wasn't supposed to take the dog on the train but what was she hoping to accomplish by confronting him while the train was still moving? What is he going to realistically do at that point? It's really hard to be sympathetic for her when she just starts pushing the dog. Who the fuck does that?

If it's against the rules or breaking the law to bring your dog on the train, there's nothing wrong with letting that person know. But that lady handled the situation very poorly. She escalated things way beyond what was necessary. All of that being said, the guy handled the situation poorly as well. He also escalated things unnecessarily and whether he knew that he couldn't bring dogs on the train or not, he shouldn't have brought such a powerful animal to a public space if he couldn't control it or is emotions.
...didn't the dog owner start swinging?

These dogs should be illegal.
To achieve what exactly?

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell, I thought this was going to be one of those threads where it's actually something like "...attacked with licking!".
Hope the commuter is alright.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
...didn't the dog owner start swinging?

After she pushed his dog repeatedly.

He was in the wrong as well, but she unnecessarily instigated everything.

The article doesn't really give enough details, thinking about it. He starts swinging, but does he actually hit her? They don't elaborate and then it skips to them yelling at each other and then the dog starts biting her shoe.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no issue against the breed. A good owner will take good care of that type of dog. The owner is a horrible person.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In society? We are not animals, no. Animals do not share the same laws and regulations as people. This dog has a high probability of being destroyed.
I don't really understand this statement, the word animal has a definition. The first/second sentence has nothing to do with the point about the dog being destroyed. Of course owners are legally and morally responsible for their pets, what is your point?

A well trained dog is not always going to behalf in the same manner. Being in a unique or unsafe environment can change a lot of things. It's also being surrounded by foreign people. As a dog owner, it's their responsibility to not only train the dog, but to ensure you aren't endangering the dog or other people's lives. It's absurd to believe your dog could never pose any sort of threat in any situation.
Well trained dogs are more predictable than any human. I know you don't want to believe it, but you can put a reasonable amount of trust in a trained dog, and not be concerned that it will somehow revert to a feral state. This is why we trust trained dogs with security work, with rescue work, with guiding blind people across the street, with small children who have seizures or social anxiety... list goes on. But I suspect you are just wanting to somehow put your foot down on this wholly-provable point, so all I can say is what I've listed above, and I hope you do more reading. The answer is no, trained dogs are not ticking timebombs.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
photo_03.jpg

After she pushed his dog repeatedly.

He was in the wrong as well, but she unnecessarily instigated everything.

The article doesn't really give enough details, thinking about it. He starts swinging, but does he actually hit her? They don't elaborate and then it skips to them yelling at each other and then the dog starts biting her shoe.
He brings the dog on the train, he starts swinging, he can't control his dog.
No matter what the woman did, the majority of the blame clearly falls on him. Sad for the dog.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
muzzle your fuckin' pit bulls!!!

fuck pits

oh edit:

fuck pit owners ... they are the same as gun owners

"responsible" fuck off

Yeah this isn't even remotely comparable. But do continue to be completely ignorant and talk out of your ass on something you have no idea about.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
He brings the dog on the train, he starts swinging, he can't control his dog.
No matter what the woman did, the majority of the blame clearly falls on him. Sad for the dog.
I don't really care where you want to put most of the blame. She unnecessarily started shit and was overly aggressive to begin with. He shouldn't have reacted in kind. It was a completely avoidable situation on both ends.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I get that, but in NYC we ask you kindly once to excuse your self...if you decide to ignore then problems happen.
I then from NYC would tell you you're an idiot for provoking an animal. It's going to attack you. You can stand. It's not fucking worth it. I take a packed 7 train from Main Street to 42nd to then hop on a packed 2/3 train to Fulton. Back and forth 5 days a week, you'll be fine standing. At no point has provoking a problem over a seat been worth it in all my subway riding history.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Dog owner should be fined and sued.

It's not the dog's fault it's owner is a stupid ass idiot taking it on a train with a crowd of people. Should at the very least put a muzzle on it when you get it in a crowd like that.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I don't really understand this statement, the word animal has a definition. The first/second sentence has nothing to do with the point about the dog being destroyed. Of course owners are legally and morally responsible for their pets, what is your point?

Well trained dogs are more predictable than any human. I know you don't want to believe it, but you can put a reasonable amount of trust in a trained dog, and not be concerned that it will somehow revert to a feral state. This is why we trust trained dogs with security work, with rescue work, with guiding blind people across the street, with small children who have seizures or social anxiety... list goes on. But I suspect you are just wanting to somehow put your foot down on this wholly-provable point, so all I can say is what I've listed above, and I hope you do more reading. The answer is no, trained dogs are not ticking timebombs.

You're making it hard to prove a point when you radically change the direction of the conversation. You are still trying to compare dogs to humans, which means you are missing the point.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because

This is ultimately a problem because there's a certain type of person deliberately seeking the breed out and causing problems. It's not inherently a problem with the dogs, it's a problem with the people who explicitly want those dogs.

There's also no reason we shouldn't be breeding pits to reduce bite force, strength and increased docile behavior. Not a single dog has to be inconvenienced to achieve that and they can still look more or less the same. But in fact the reverse is true. People are breeding them for strength and tenacity and those people are inevitably shitty owners.

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I have seen smaller dogs just as aggressive. Why a muzzle for EVERY dog in public isn't mandatory ill never know.

NY sure loves to regulate everything so maybe try that.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Yeah this isn't even remotely comparable. But do continue to be completely ignorant and talk out of your ass on something you have no idea about.
Pit owners are like Gun owners, you life depends on the "responsible" nature of the owner which is like gambling when you don't know them
I don't really care where you want to put most of the blame. She unnecessarily started shit and was overly aggressive to begin with. He shouldn't have reacted in kind. It was a completely avoidable situation on both ends.
the owner broke the MTA rules, those rules exist for a reason, this "responsilbe" dog owner proved why MTA rules need to exist

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
A lot of my friends are super defensive of pitbulls, and yes when I visit they are very loveable animals but they never seem to realize that sometimes assholes get these dogs and train them for the specific reason of being aggresive/attack/guard dogs. Then people wonder why they bug out all the time.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're making it hard to prove a point when you radically change the direction of the conversation. You are still trying to compare dogs to humans, which means you are missing the point.

I feel like you are missing the point. You keep alluding or implying that training cannot make a dog safe, which I disagree with, and I believe is frankly axiomatic, given the working dog examples I gave.

I would never say a dog can be made 100% safe, but neither can a human, so I don't get what you are trying to say here.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
I then from NYC would tell you you're an idiot for provoking an animal. It's going to attack you. You can stand. It's not fucking worth it. I take a packed 7 train from Main Street to 42nd to then hop on a packed 2/3 train to Fulton. Back and forth 5 days a week, you'll be fine standing. At no point has provoking a problem over a seat been worth it in all my subway riding history.

This why the fuck would anyone antagonize a pitt? It's not worth it.

Owner's a super shit though and should've muzzled his dog and not had it on the damn train.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never implied training cannot make a dog safer...

ok so what is this?

A well trained dog is more than capable of attacking someone.

Based on the fact a dog is an animal.

like, are you splitting hairs on this or what? obviously you are saying "all dogs are dangerous no matter what training". I am saying, that is not true, or at least not reasonably true, since we train dogs all the time and leave them in sensitive situations.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I deal with dogs constantly while delivering mail, so I've gotten pretty good at reading which ones are and aren't hostile. I've yet to meet a friendly pit bull, though I'm open to it; they mostly just jump up against windows hard enough that I fully expect one to someday come crashing through and chase me with a face-full of broken glass.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I deal with dogs constantly while delivering mail, so I've gotten pretty good at reading which ones are and aren't hostile. I've yet to meet a friendly pit bull, though I'm open to it; they mostly just jump up against windows hard enough that I fully expect one to someday come crashing through and chase me with a face-full of broken glass.
You don't happen to be anywhere near Austria, do you? Because I'd offer you to come and meet some.
I absolutely believe that this stereotype of the angry pit bull is a self fulfilling prophecy, thanks to terrible owners.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
So many shitty people who are dog owners.

This is the not the same thing as this video but every damn time I got to the park with my kids I see at least 2 dogs running around without a leash. Most of the time the owner is not even in sight.

I don't want my kids exposed to a strangers dog and further it is not even safe for the dog to be running around without a leash.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
You want a pit bull? Keep it in your own home where they'll only maul your own family members. Can't believe that breed is still allowed to be kept as pets.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Tried to find a reliable source regarding if different breeds were more dangerous than others, as the main source of circular arguing in this thread seems due to a lack of evidence.

Without access to journals or government statistics, this is the best I could find:
https://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/dog-attack-deaths-maimings-merritt-clifton-2014.pdf

Looking at the host website they are clearly biased, but its the best I can find.

Seems to suggest Pit-bulls are responsible for the most serious dog related injuries by a significant margin, assuming you believe their data.

Status
Not open for further replies.