Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I see everyone talking about this lately and uuhhhh it seems to feature heavily sexualized underage girls?

It's weird to see something like this being so popular in era, am I missing something?
They're all canonically 18 according to the creator.

But also… it is a dating sim-type of game. I also don't really know how much it goes out of its way to sexualize them, all the "normal" content in the game with them is pretty wholesome.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Finished my replay of it. There is some text I don't remember but I could just be forgetting certain stuff.

But there is uhh some interesting stuff outside of it.

So the file system. There is some hidden stuff in there. I remember that there was some hidden stuff in the original files that implied that they may have put the consciousness of 4 people into the game or something along those lines.
In the file system here there are messages from some company and it's employees. There are some interesting stuff in there and if you don't want me to spoil a puzzle don't read this.
If you look into the file system numbered 221 there is a file there that can only be opened at 2:40. This is given by another file and you have to figure out where it goes to.

This file implies that yes, the game is a simulation, in this case a small scale simulated universe, that they labeled VM1. Crazy part is that also talk about a "medium scaled" universe in VM2, I'm guessing implying Salvato's next game is going to be much bigger.

There might be 3 more hidden files like this if that paper is implying correctly what I think it is. Don't know if it's a red herring or not though.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
So I've read the original, and I'm still pretty early on in this new version. That said, I just wanted to gush about some of the new content and how it's exactly what I was looking for from this director's cut sort of deal.

DDLC is well known at this point for being a horror game. And it presents itself as a cute, fluffy dating sim. But what I think is often not talked about enough is the transition section from dating sim to horror game, where shit has not necessarily hit the fan just yet, but the game takes a serious turn with the reveal that Sayori has depression.

Now the truth of the matter is, for dating sims this isn't particularly unusual ground. Loads of dating sims deal with trauma and personal baggage, but with DDLC it's a little different in that you don't need to be on Sayori's route to hear about it - it's something that's revealed to every player, and (rightfully) the narrative takes a break from the dating sim hijinks to give it the screentime and space it deserves. At this point, DDLC is more a visual novel about a group of friends at a literature club who support each other through tough shit, rather than a dating sim. It was always my favourite part of the VN, and I always wished that the story did more of that with (for example) Yuri and Natsuki.

Anyway, long story short, this short story was more of that! Watching Sayori open up to Monika, and Monika opening up about beating herself up for not being perfect, and how they both do that through poems - this was always the subtext of DDLC's slice of life sections, but now it's the text and it's the explicitly the point of the club. YES, more of this please.

I'm very excited to read more.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any info on the performance of the Switch version? I'm really excited to play this, so I'm just waiting on confirmation that it's not a shoddy port!

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
I see everyone talking about this lately and uuhhhh it seems to feature heavily sexualized underage girls?

You know, if you're gonna make this claim, the least you could do is provide a legitimate example of it.

Because this reads like the only thing you looked at about the game is by seeing its cover and instantly making this assumption based on the art.

Which is not good!

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Just got an email that the physical copy is delayed to August 31, for some reason I thought the physical was out end of July. I can wait, Just can't click any of those awesome blue "Spoiler" things...

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
So I've read the original, and I'm still pretty early on in this new version. That said, I just wanted to gush about some of the new content and how it's exactly what I was looking for from this director's cut sort of deal.

DDLC is well known at this point for being a horror game. And it presents itself as a cute, fluffy dating sim. But what I think is often not talked about enough is the transition section from dating sim to horror game, where shit has not necessarily hit the fan just yet, but the game takes a serious turn with the reveal that Sayori has depression.

Now the truth of the matter is, for dating sims this isn't particularly unusual ground. Loads of dating sims deal with trauma and personal baggage, but with DDLC it's a little different in that you don't need to be on Sayori's route to hear about it - it's something that's revealed to every player, and (rightfully) the narrative takes a break from the dating sim hijinks to give it the screentime and space it deserves. At this point, DDLC is more a visual novel about a group of friends at a literature club who support each other through tough shit, rather than a dating sim. It was always my favourite part of the VN, and I always wished that the story did more of that with (for example) Yuri and Natsuki.

Anyway, long story short, this short story was more of that! Watching Sayori open up to Monika, and Monika opening up about beating herself up for not being perfect, and how they both do that through poems - this was always the subtext of DDLC's slice of life sections, but now it's the text and it's the explicitly the point of the club. YES, more of this please.

I'm very excited to read more.

For some reason I didn't expect new poems, but I'm really excited to read those.

Everything you just said is something I've wrestled with about this game and I'm glad that it's being addressed. Now I'm even more excited.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I usually play Visual Novels on my Switch fairly passively as I'm goin' to sleep. Is this a good title for that, or do I need to be much more engaged with it?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any info on the performance of the Switch version? I'm really excited to play this, so I'm just waiting on confirmation that it's not a shoddy port!

It runs really well. I've played like 2 other VNs (Fata Morgana and Winds of Change) on the Switch and this runs significantly better all the way through.

I usually play Visual Novels on my Switch fairly passively as I'm goin' to sleep. Is this a good title for that, or do I need to be much more engaged with it?

Uhh, maybe? Less like that you need to be more engaged with it and more that it will command your attention.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Going in mostly blind, got it on Switch. After Gnosia, Visual Novels are my jam and knowing a bit of how this game is, it sparked my interest.

edit: nevermind, the warnings upon boot up regarding the games themes of suicide, depression and anxiety got to me. Requested a refund from live chat and surprisingly got one. Sadly, I don't think I would be able to stomach the game.

edit 2: felt better and rebought it, loving it

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
You know, if you're gonna make this claim, the least you could do is provide a legitimate example of it.

Because this reads like the only thing you looked at about the game is by seeing its cover and instantly making this assumption based on the art.

Which is not good!
The funny thing is, having now started playing it, the game instantly opens up with a disclaimer that all of the characters are over 18.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

Which is not good!

My post was precisely asking if what I'm seeing of the art is representative of the content of the game, because everyone is talking about how it's so good but when I look at the pictures it's... Not evocative of a game I would have in high regards.

It was a genuine question, maybe I should have made it more clear. I want to know if the game is something else despite being presented like these pictures, which yes, I consider heavily sexualized underage characters:

images

images

images

I found weird that no one is talking about it here in era. If somehow that's not what the game is actually about and that art is some kind of parody or something, maybe I could be interested as I really like visual novels.

...heavily sexualized how?

Please seek help. Seriously.

I don't need to seek help, but you need to tone your rethoric down.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I found weird that no one is talking about it here in era. If somehow that's not what the game is actually about and that art is some kind of parody or something, maybe I could be interested as I really like visual novels.

Those images are not meant to be titillating to the player. Visual novels are a genre known for fanservice, but this game is a parody of sorts and a subversion to the genre and stereotypes.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My post was precisely asking if what I'm seeing of the art is representative of the content of the game, because everyone is talking about how it's so good but when I look at the pictures it's... Not evocative of a game I would have in high regards.

It was a genuine question, maybe I should have made it more clear. I want to know if the game is something else despite being presented like these pictures, which yes, I consider heavily sexualized underage characters:

images

images

images

Cus none of those pictures are sexual?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

images

images

images

Straight from the trailer in the OP
U9guBsQ.jpg

bY4tjZc.jpg

bGiCOJ1.jpg

You can kind of tell where it's going from this. *hint* How you present yourself might not be how it really is.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

images

images

images

Huh? I legit don't see anything in those pictures that can be considered sexual in nature, except maybe the angle in the second picture, and even that's a stretch. And all characters are canonically 18, so they aren't even underage.

XeroxKopy

Oct 27, 2017
Small question: I'm playing this on PS4 and for whatever reason, the trophies won't sync with PSN. Is this happening to anyone else or is it just me?

edit: never mind. Problem seems to have fixed itself.

Last edited:

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Those images are not meant to be titillating to the player. Visual novels are a genre known for fanservice, but this game is a parody of sorts and a subversion to the genre and stereotypes.

Yeah, this is what I imagined could be the case. Like "what if your usual school romance visual novel went terribly wrong". I was looking for clarification, thanks.

But judging by the answers in the thread, people are somehow saying they don't see any sexualization so I guess the game hit the nail for both crowds. Not worth it to have this discussion here, I'll take my leave.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not entirely sure how spoiler tag this. It's related to new content at the least so I would at least have beaten the game before clicking.

I'm not sure what triggers it but I started getting emails in the game. Maybe it's a completion % thing?

Some stuff in the 3 I've gotten implying the people who created the VM housing DDLC are deeply aware about Monika's control and the side stories might be her work?

Very curious where it's going. Gonna play through the main game one more time to get all the CG's in one run and unlock the last side stories.

gfbandito

One Winged Slayer
Apr 5, 2020
I can sort of kinda see the logic in the second picture being misconstrued as sexual, and maybe the third picture if I were illierate, I guess.

But how in the hell is that first picture hypersexualization of anything? It's literally just a character standing in a doorway.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played, but I'm curious if this upgrade is worth it or if I should just go for the free one on Steam

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I haven't played, but I'm curious if this upgrade is worth it or if I should just go for the free one on Steam
Can't go wrong with free I suppose, but the paid version is brand new and has a boatload of new content. I guess you could play the original and if you like it enough, spring for the upgrade - it's a pretty short playthrough, so even if you have to start over it won't take up too much time.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Can't go wrong with free I suppose, but the paid version is brand new and has a boatload of new content. I guess you could play the original and if you like it enough, spring for the upgrade - it's a pretty short playthrough, so even if you have to start over it won't take up too much time.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Especially if it's short (a good thing in my books)

Saturday

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just here for the extended lore

Monitor Kernel Access

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to decide if I want to go digital or physical with this.

This game is relatively short right? It looks like the physical goodies are for fans of the game (having an official membership card whatever that means, stickers, etc). Since I don't know if I am invested into this world/characters yet, maybe digital is the way to go.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Played through it yesterday. Still love the original story and the new content seems pretty fun as well.

I'm just here for the extended lore

Monitor Kernel Access
Yup, I noticed that too. Lots of interesting stuff is hidden around it seems.
Is this a good entry point if you've never 'played' the first DDLC ?
It's essentially a straight remake of the original with new bonus/side content added. Definitely perfect to start with.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe a dumb question, but is there a performance difference between the console versions?

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I might actually jump in for the first time as well. Seems like a prefect game to dust off my switch haha

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm, I'm curious if the added content make it worth buying it, especially since I'm familiar with the free version already.

For first time players, you are in for a nice ride (not an earthbreaking one, but it was quite the experience). Go in as blind as possible (despite, well, the foreboding warnings here and there).

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how this will work on console actually given some of the mechanics on the original pc version

Saturday

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious how this will work on console actually given some of the mechanics on the original pc version

Well enough, and the framing makes the additional stuff more interesting

You run the game through a 'virtual desktop' which is a fake PC interface

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
Was gonna wait a bit to get this on Switch but I had 10 dollars in PSN credit so I just got that version. I know it's short anyway. After years of memes and fanart and vague out of context spoilers I guess it's time.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I've played this for a few hours now and and uh

Spoiler warning for like basically everything don't click unless you have played more than a few hours:

I'm up to the part where Monika deleted herself, stopped for a break right when that happened. I've seen Sayori hanged and Yuri stabbing herself to death after cutting herself on several occasions.

Yeah this game definitely merits the warning it gives at the beginning regarding disturbing content. Starting to see why it's so well liked though. Apparently it's only about half a dozen hours long so I should have it finished over the weekend. Will post again once I'm done.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Finished all the new Side Story stuff. It's nice if a bit superfluous. If you dig the characters and want a bit more out of them then it should be enjoyable.

There are still a few unlockables in the collectible screen that I still haven't gotten yet but these seem to be either really obscure actions in the game or completely RNG dependent. Which is a shame cause I think it's still hiding a few things behind that. I might just look up what people have found.

Final thoughts: DDLC is still a wonderful experience that's best played knowing as little as possible going in. The console port manages to keep that and add a few more incentives but unless you really want more out of it, you are completely fine with playing the free version. I do think Dan Salvato deserves money for this and it is worth the money considering it felt like stealing getting it for free. There is some stuff that I would like to know more but I also feel like that stuff can just be looked up afterwards or will be part of some Game Theory video later.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Just wrapped up the.. ending.. I think. What an amazing game. Easily one of the best stories in a video game ever. Unforgettable.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you Monika for letting me join your awesome literature club! I haven't fully recovered from attending your after class activities last time, but I'll be coming soon once more.

Play this, stop reading the bloody topic.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up the game, but I'm not sure when I'll play it. I just figure the dev deserves to be paid since I played the original.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I'm not sure about a direct sequel but definitely something set in this meta-narrative he has. I could easily see it be completely different from DDLC.

It described VM1 (doki doki) as a small project and VM2 (???) as a "medium project". So yeah could be totally different but I would be *shocked* if Monika doesn't crash the party.