Oct 27, 2017
Dolby Cinema is better. The sound is better, the seating is better, the smaller theater is better. The IMAX Screen is bigger that's it. Dolby Atmos stoke the show, only complaint was the red lighting. Image quality was top tier as well.

If you had one you'd know. It'll show 70MM films so did you have a legit Dunkirk screening?
I don't even know man, I see so many places say imax but I don't think they are.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There are more IMAX laser locations in North America than I realized. Here are all the real IMAX locations in NA. Everything else is fake.

EDIT: List updated.

70MM IMAX

Alabama
IMAX Dome, McWane Center – Birmingham
IMAX, U.S. Space & Rocket Center – Huntsville

Arizona
Grand Canyon IMAX, Grand Canyon Visitors Center – Tusayan

California
Esquire IMAX Theatre – Sacramento
Edwards Irvine Spectrum 21 & IMAX – Irvine
Regal Hacienda Crossings Stadium 20 & IMAX – Dublin
Edwards Ontario Palace Stadium 22 & IMAX – Ontario
Hackworth IMAX Dome, The Tech Museum – San Jose

Connecticut
IMAX, The Maritime Aquarium – Norwalk

Georgia
Regal Mall of Georgia Stadium 20 & IMAX - Buford

Indiana
IMAX, Indiana State Museum – Indianapolis

Iowa
Blank IMAX Dome, Science Center of Iowa – Des Moines

Maryland
IMAX, Maryland Science Center – Baltimore

Minnesota
IMAX Theatre, Minnesota Zoo – Apple Valley

Missouri
OMNIMAX, St. Louis Science Center – St. Louis

North Carolina
The Charlotte Observer IMAX Dome, Discovery Place – Charlotte

Pennsylvania
UA King of Prussia Stadium 16 & IMAX – King of Prussia
Tuttleman IMAX, The Franklin Institute– Philadelphia

Rhode Island
Providence Place Cinemas 16 & IMAX – Providence

Tennessee
Regal Opry Mills Stadium 20 & IMAX – Nashville

Texas
Cinemark 17 & IMAX – Dallas
Omnitheatre, Fort Worth Museum of Science & History – Fort Worth

IMAX LASER

Alberta
TELUS World of Science – Edmonton IMAX Theatre, Edmonton

British Columbia
IMAX Victoria, Royal BC Museum

California
AMC Loews Metreon 16 & IMAX
AMC Universal CityWalk Stadium 19 & IMAX
IMAX, California Science Center
TCL Chinese Theatres IMAX

Florida
Autonation IMAX, Museum of Discovery & Science

Illinois
Navy Pier IMAX at AMC

Massachusetts
Sunbrella IMAX 3D Theater Reading

Missouri
Branson's IMAX - Entertainment Complex

New York
AMC Lincoln Square 13 IMAX Theatre

Ontario
Cinesphere & IMAX
La Salle IMAX, Science North
Scotiabank Toronto & IMAX

Quebec
IMAX Telus Montreal Science Centre

Tennessee
IMAX 3D, Tennessee Aquarium

Texas
IMAX, The Bullock Texas State History Museum

Virginia
Airbus IMAX, Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center
Washington
Boeing IMAX, Pacific Science Center

Last edited:

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
If you hit up an AMC Dolby Cinema, please report back if your location has the problem with the red aisle lighting washing out the screen.

Here's an example from AMC Potomac Mills in Virginia.

NkLvgY6.jpg

I can verify that the AMC West Chester 18 north of Cincinnati has the same problem, saw GotG2 there but did not take a pic.
That's the theater I regularly go to
I watched Ragnarok in Dolby and I don't remember there being a red glow

Last edited:

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dolby Atmos cinemas make cinemas worth again for me. Too sad that there are so few :(

Nov 13, 2017
Is Dolby Cinema the same thing as Dolby Atmos Theaters? My AMC theater has one of those and it's so fucking awesome. Expensive, but it really makes such a difference. The sound is incredible and the seats are huge!

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Watching Last Jedi in the closest IMAX to us on Saturday. It's reserved seating only and it will be my first watch of TLJ. Watched Rogue One there too.

It's a 1 hour drive to the theater, but it's worth it. We have "normal" theaters around us within 10-15 minutes.

The closest Dolby Atmos is 1 hour and 20 minutes away. Haven't visited that one.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
There are more IMAX laser locations in North America than I realized. Here are all the real IMAX locations in NA. Everything else is fake.

70MM IMAX

Alabama

California

Connecticut

Indiana

Iowa

Missouri

North Carolina

Pennsylvania

Texas

IMAX LASER

Alberta

British Columbia

California

Florida

Illinois
Navy Pier IMAX at AMC

Massachusetts

Missouri

New York

Ontario
Cinesphere & IMAX

Quebec

Tennessee

Texas

Virginia
Washington
Where'd the 70mm list come from? There are definitely more true IMAX setups in CA than just one. That list seems to only show domed setups.

_jnup

Oct 30, 2017
Jordan's IMAX in Reading is a laser IMAX, then there's the one in Natick. Both better than the Omni Theater for theatrical movies.

There are no Dolby Cinemas in the Boston area.

The new AMC in the South Bay Center has Dolby Cinema. Just canceled my ticket for IMAX at AMC Boston Common after reading this thread and going to that instead.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I saw SW VII 2 years ago in Dolby Atmos and was not impressed at all and did not think it justified the increased cost. I'm tempted to test the newer Dolby Cinema that is even pricier but they don't screen movies in their original languages. Are those new Dolby tech legit or are they yet another scam to part fools with their money?

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Where'd the 70mm list come from? There are definitely more true IMAX setups in CA than just one. That list seems to only show domed setups.

Those aren't all domes, I've been to some of them :)

The 70MM list is from Imax's Dunkirk page. They didn't make a page like that for The Last Jedi.

FYI lots, and I mean lots, of 70mm IMAX screens have been downgraded to Digital IMAX (not laser IMAX) in the last few years. Multiple Regal Theaters IMAX locations in California for example.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully no red light bleed at the dolby in norwalk.
I didn't think the movie looked THAT much more amazing.Only thing that made the picture better was the clean screen. The sound was great

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For people that went to Dolby Cinema are the up front seats okay? I can only find those available.
You F'N crazy? You only sit up front if you want to fuck around with your partner(near packed house only). Otherwise you sit near the middle, or all the way in the back to get a full view of the screen.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Those aren't all domes, I've been to some of them :)

The 70MM list is from Imax's Dunkirk page. They didn't make a page like that for The Last Jedi.

FYI lots, and I mean lots, of 70mm IMAX screens have been downgraded to Digital IMAX (not laser IMAX) in the last few years. Multiple Regal Theaters IMAX locations in California for example.
I think you're working off an old list somewhere if the source was for Dunkirk... this is more accurate and shows the proper 70mm ones in CA: https://www.imax.com/news/experience-dunkirk-imax-70mm-film-and-imax-laser

I saw it in 70mm at the Irvine Spectrum IMAX.

SiK SiNr1

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles, Ca
Dolby Cinema seats are super comfortable, the sound is amazing and the screen is big with great contrast. The only thing to worry about in Dolby Cinemas is if they leave the red ambient lights on during the movie. The Dolby Cinema I go to has the lights turned on during the movie but I read others sometimes leaves them on and the lights give a reddish hue to the bottom edge of the screens so maybe it is a good idea to read the reviews of your particular theater to see if this is an issue.

IMAX is amazing if it's true IMAX but most places just fake the funk with the screen size. I've also had issues with the movies looking dim because they always force feed you 3D that you may not want.

My preference is Dolby Cinema though, you can't really beat a nice reclining chair, 4K picture and amazing sound.

Nov 9, 2017
I have 10 seats reserved in a Dolby Cinema Theatre for Star Wars on 12/23 evening.

Good Seats too. 1/3 back in the middle. Some in Slight Middle Right.

I paid $25 total for them thanks to Chase Pay and T-Mobile promos. :)

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
That's the theater I regularly go to
I watched Ragnarok in Dolby and I don't remember there being a red glow
keep in mind the cell phone camera is exaggerating the effect. i'm sure this happens in all DC theatres including my own. and it really is an annoyance and it's seems like something so simple that can be easily fixed but i don't think there is enough noise by the customers to have anything changed.

Nov 9, 2017

70MM IMAX

Alabama

California

Connecticut

Indiana

Iowa

Missouri

North Carolina

Pennsylvania

Texas

IMAX LASER

Alberta

British Columbia

California

Florida

Illinois
Navy Pier IMAX at AMC

Massachusetts

Missouri

New York

Ontario
Cinesphere & IMAX

Quebec

Tennessee

Texas

Virginia
Washington

I thought there's an 70MM IMAX theatre in Irvine at Irvine Spectrum? I watched Dunkirk there.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm at the Metreon almost every week seeing movies in that Dolby theater and have never run into that issue.

When did you first start going? Hopefully they took those lights off. Now ours might not have took up the screen as much as this example...but it was there when I went...for sure you see it along the floor leading up to the screen. Manager told me they couldn't do anything because it's there for "safety". I didn't accept that answer, and felt they could have adjusted the approach to the lights.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When did you first start going? Hopefully they took those lights off. Now ours might not have took up the screen as much as this example...but it was there when I went...for sure you see it along the floor leading up to the screen. Manager told me they couldn't do anything because it's there for "safety". I didn't accept that answer, and felt they could have adjusted the approach to the lights.

It can actually be blocked with a horizontal black matte at the bottom of the screen. They need to fix every last damned location.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
first movie I saw there was Rogue One.

Last movie I saw there was Blade Runner 2049. Pure darkness each time.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
first movie I saw there was Rogue One.

Last movie I saw there was Blade Runner 2049. Pure darkness each time.

That's weird... I'm looking through my purchase history to see when was the time I went to the DC at the Metreon, and it doesn't go into detail. Just says Metreon 16. The title of the films do give hints..most if not all say IMAX... so the only ones that don't say IMAX on their titles. there were Logan and Alien Convenient. BUT both of those titles came out AFTER Rogue 1. Which I saw on IMAX. So maybe I might have watched some other movie without using Fandango (which I rarely do)..that came out before Rogue 1.

Eitherway if you are saying it was Pure Darkness for Blade Runner... I'll take your word for it... but will sneak in (with permission) to a DC screening and take a peak to see how it looks.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Kansas City is like the mecca for movie choices.

AMC 28 with Fork & Screen
AMC Town Center Flagship Location (by corporate) with Dolby Cinema and IMAX 3D; they also offer real 70mm FILM engagements for special occasions (Hateful Eight and Dunkirk)
AMC Ward Parkway

Cinetopia for the "family room couch" seating and Laser IMAX

Regal for cheap films you don't care about

The Plaza (Cinemark) which I have no idea how it stays in business. Old school 400+ person seating with older projectors - but you usually have most the entire theater to yourself. Plus by fine dining.

The Alamo (Mainstreet)

... all within 15 minutes of my house.

Anyway, without a doubt - I don't even know how it could be argued:

*70MM film offers the most breathtaking immersion
*Dolby Cinema with ATMOS is the best overall experience: loud, booming sound with great spatial separation, and the screen gets inky black like OLED and plenty bright. Great seating.
*Alamo is the most "fun" with fun pre-movie shows, great staff, usually best crowd/audience. Food is also the best.
*Standard LIeMax theaters (the vast majority of them) are too dim and usually force sub-par 3D with a huge increase in price. Almost every one I've been to (30+ different theaters, easily), has had blown speakers or strange sound mixing issues. I almost never do IMAX unless I have to or it's a laser & non-3D

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just got back from my Atmos screening (since we have the red bleed on our Dolby Cinema screen here). WOW, what an audio mix. Holy crap. Maybe the best I've heard.

PoopBlasters

Nov 10, 2017
IMAX laser roll out is a god damn joke. AMC had 8 Dolby theaters when TFA came out and they're at around 90 now.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I seen Thor 3: The Dark Ragnarok in Dolby Cinema at the AMC 16 Southdale Mall in Edina, MN. Overall I liked the experience, the seating alone is worth it. The sound and picture was good but I wasn't blown away by the contrast, but I only see a few movies a year. I'll have to check next time if they left the red lights on but I don't remember seeing any red tint.

I use a 4k OLED at home with a sound system, so is Dolby Cinema supposed to be mind blowing in comparison? I thought it was great, but not life changing.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
IMAX laser roll out is a god damn joke. AMC had 8 Dolby theaters when TFA came out and they're at around 90 now.

I agree.

Let's be frank. 90% of 'IMAX' screens are just 4K digital projection with a big screen and nothing special. 4K digital projection is everywhere already. Also most 1.9:1 'IMAX' movies are marketing and the director and cinematographer consider the (likely) 2.35:1 'scope version the definitive composition (see Blade Runner 2049).

If I just want a big screen and 4K projection I can go to the XD screen at Cinemark or other large format premium auditorium. Hell, the Auro 11.1 sound at my local XD is better than the audio at the fake IMAX screens that litter my region.

Now, if they rolled an IMAX Laser hall into Cincinnati I would frequent it.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, just got back from the Dolby Cinema in Torrance,ca and i can confirm it had some red light bleed too. Nothing like that first picture posted but just in the bottom corners and only visible on very dark scenes. Can't believe i didn't notice it before but i guess lucky me now that i know it's there. I don't know how Dolby let's that fly though especially because it's the best theater experience otherwise.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Anybody who bought a TV with that red cast shit would send it back immediately; fuck permitting it in theaters.

I'm much happier with straight Atmos and no bleed.

BeatnikGunso

Oct 25, 2017
we have a dolby atmos theater is san diego (specifically grossmont for those who know) they call it titan XC though

the picture was excellent, the screen was huge, and the sound was fantastic

and the best part it worked with movie pass because the movie ticket price is like 10 bucks.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jordan's IMAX in Reading is a laser IMAX, then there's the one in Natick. Both better than the Omni Theater for theatrical movies.

There are no Dolby Cinemas in the Boston area.
They ruined the IMAX theater in Natick. I swear it used to be the full aspect ratio but now it's like that weird one that's not quite full IMAX AR.

that Reading IMAX is pretty amazing though

Oct 28, 2017
Saw TLJ in a Regal RPX and honestly it was a pretty great experience. Good digital projection, very impressive sound that wasn't set to defeaning levels and really comfortable reclining leather seats.

OP
OP
Kuro

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
If you hit up an AMC Dolby Cinema, please report back if your location has the problem with the red aisle lighting washing out the screen.

Here's an example from AMC Potomac Mills in Virginia.

NkLvgY6.jpg

I can verify that the AMC West Chester 18 north of Cincinnati has the same problem, saw GotG2 there but did not take a pic.

So I finally watched Star Wars at the Dolby cinema at Tysons Corner AMC in VA and it was amazing. The contrast ratio, black levels, and sound really make a difference over IMAX. The red light issue was no where near as pronounced as that image. There was a slight red hue at the teensiest bit of the bottom corners but that was it. Definitely not really noticeable.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The red light bleed was a problem earlier this year in my Dolby Cinema, but they fixed 90% of the problem. It's effectively unnoticeable now for me.

Miyahon

Nov 8, 2017
Went to watch Deadpool when it was in theaters to check out the Dolby Cinema at an AMC 30 minutes away from me.

I can see and hear the difference but those seats were the most uncomfortable seats I ever sat it.

They were reclining seats but were very stiff and could barely move them in the reclining position.

I have a local AMC near me that has way more comfortable seats and tickets are only $6 reserved seating.

I have an IMAX near me that is 10 minutes away and prefer to watch movies there when I can. Just saw Star Wars The Last Jedi yesterday at the IMAX.

Oct 28, 2017
Went to watch Deadpool when it was in theaters to check out the Dolby Cinema at an AMC 30 minutes away from me.

I can see and hear the difference but those seats were the most uncomfortable seats I ever sat it.

They were reclining seats but were very stiff and could barely move them in the reclining position.

I have a local AMC near me that has way more comfortable seats and tickets are only $6 reserved seating.

I have an IMAX near me that is 10 minutes away and prefer to watch movies there when I can. Just saw Star Wars The Last Jedi yesterday at the IMAX.

I agree that the seats suck. Don't know why they are so uncomfortable compared to other recliners in the standard auditorium.