linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I was going to say Starfleet probably learned a thing or two from the events of Star Trek IV.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Voyager crew would have eaten them to not have to waste precious energy they needed..... for holodeck adventures

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I had that technical manual and while I don't recall any such thing if I ever read that I probably blocked it out.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Enterprise-D also had a giant duck on board according to the diagram in Engineering.
entd-msd-injokes.jpg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I wonder what color shirt they wear

Also, one of my first star trek memories was a magazine talking about WHERE did they put the whales in Voyage Home because while the ship was big enough to hold them, no room in the schematics of the ship was big enough to hold a whale

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Dunno. Seems like fan fiction. It would make sense to use truly alien aquatic life anyways if such an area existed.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
There's an EU novel called "Dark Mirror" that features a dolphin scientist helping out. I think Troi was thre big bad in the mirror universe. Got it at a library surplus sale, I believe.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Psh should have had a super intelligent grizzly bear as a crew member to show Worf how to win a fight.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to think on one of the lower decks there is a pool bar where the human crew and dolphins can commingle.

crop_down11.jpg

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I
Its listed in memory beta which is non Canon. Case closed.
Also listed on Memory Alpha though. 😉

There were dolphins aboard the USS Enterprise-D. Geordi La Forge showed some of them to Par Lenor in 2368. (TNG: "The Perfect Mate")

memory-alpha.fandom.com

Dolphin

Dolphins were toothed cetaceans native to Earth. Species of dolphin included the bottlenose dolphin and the pink dolphin. (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home; ENT: "Fight or Flight") During the mid-24th century, Starfleet oceanographer Lieutenant Harry Bernard, Sr. was stationed on Zadar IV with his...

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
TNG couldn't afford a dolphin, but the underwater TNG knockoff could afford a dolphin...

4AsXNlE.jpg

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Next Generation was in production at the same time as A Voyage Home so it was likely just a reference to the movie and one of the million crazy ideas Roddenberry had for TNG that were mercifully toned down. I would love to hear an inside take on it though as I imagine there must've been a great running joke about them.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Star Trek one minute:

"We are not soldiers. We are philosphists. Humanitarians ln a mission to explore, to help man figure out what it means to be man. To seek out the unknown in science and astrophysics. Peace, prosperity and questions that make us ask who we are. And where are we going in this universe?"

Star Trek the next minute:

"The fuckin' whales are navigating the ship. The crew has turned into lizards, the robots having sex, the captain's beamed down on his own to fistfight some green people and someone just let the 12 year old drive."

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
So when the Borg took over the Enterprise in First Contact, did they assimilate the dolphins too?

cyborg-dolphin.jpg

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I want to know how this was supposed to work. You know how sometimes on a plane you can't tell that you're banking really hard? Maybe it's like that. Every time a dolphin smashes against one side of the tank you go "Yup, we're turning a sharp left!"

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
It was referenced on the TV show in spoken dialogue by a primary character.
Not as being part of the crew and being supervised by orcas. That is just non sensical. And if you read into this in depth they later edited some comments about seeing the dolphins to seeing the holodeck in the relic episode which leads that the writers were.originally intending the dolphin commented mentioned in the op to be part of the holodeck. It is just an error in screen writing that became fan fiction in the tech manuals.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Psh should have had a super intelligent grizzly bear as a crew member to show Worf how to win a fight.
Uss Titan ship's counselor is from a race that looks like Earth teddy bears. That causes problems because he is from a heavy gravity world and weights like 200 pounds and humans love trying to pick him up

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not an expert but that seems like an awfully small enclosure. Looks worse than Sea World.