• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After living in Japan and visiting back there again recently after COVID inflation & tip increases, I find it frustrating. Businesses are offloading part of their payroll responsibility back to us and we're letting it slide.

It's so ingrained into our culture and economy that I still tip on everything, but I'm not a fan of it.

I doubt it'll change unfortunately. Even at the 20-30% tipping rate we now see since COVID (vs the previous 15-20%), that wasn't enough to have consumers push back.
"I'm choosing to pay you" vs "I'm required to pay you"

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
I'm outside of Domino's delivery area, so I drive there and pick up. I routinely tipped whenever I'd do that, but weirdly, Domino's removed the ability to add a tip when picking up.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
"You tip, we tip."
"You bake, we bake."
"You deliver, we deliver."

The possibilities are endless.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
"You tip, because we still pay our workers garbage wages" doesn't have the same ring to it I guess.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
Shifting the responsibility instead of paying your workers a decent wage, again.

If anything, I would much rather that the $3 tip be matched by them. So that the person who was tipped, gets $6. But just imagine all the hurdles the company will jump through to get their cut of that extra $3. Actually, scrap that. It's laughable to think the extra $3 would even reach the recipient.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
They have (or used to have) pretty cheap carry out deals so Dominos is something that should just be picked up anyway.

You're looking at an extra $15-20 for delivery after tip, delivery fee, and higher prices

gyrspike

Jan 18, 2018
Isn't it just a zero dollar gain if you are tipping $3 and getting $3 back? What's the benefit here other than to the suits at dominos?
I think the idea is that some people would tip anyways so it's just a bonus for them.

Though the coupon is only good for the next week? That's pretty shitty. I maybe eat takeout 2-3 times a month and vary it up. Eating takeout pizza twice within a week or so is a bit much.

RUFF BEEST

Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON
Why are people hating this? At least it is a start. I don't see other pizza places do this. This is a step in the right direction
They give out coupons all the time. These are just branded to be tip-related. They expire in a week and wouldn't cover the cost of an order so they're doing the calculus that this will net them more orders and hopefully improve their brand awareness and image. It's purely for the benefit of the suits and branding it as pro-worker when it's a cynical whitewashing of their exploitative wages is fucked up.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this is just encouraging their customers to pay their staff, which should be their responsibility. I'd rather they ,(and everyone else for that matter), just pays their staff a livable wage, instead of having to rely on tips as well.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Or,

and hear me out on this,

they could pay delivery drivers a fair wage and then drivers wouldn't need tips

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
I made the mistake of going to a restaurant yesterday with the girlfriend to celebrate her birthday and there was a service charge of 18%. Then on the bottom of the receipt they detailed what a 22%, 25%, 30% TIP would add. Like I'm not paying a service charge and tipping, trying to gouge me out of almost $30 extra.

Just pay your people and leave me out of it.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I never understood. Why is there a delivery fee if Dominos doesn't do anything specifically around delivery? Like... it's not like they're the one's providing a car? So why is there a charge for delivery if none of the money is going to the driver?

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Enshittification

This is what always gets me as an Uber driver too. Eats is paying for my college otherwise I'd never do it. The surcharge to customers is so large with restaurant fees and Uber fees that customers probably think a good chunk goes to the driver, in fact most people I talk to think we make minimum wage + tips. So the lack of education around services people use constantly is pretty sad.

My mom once tipped a Pizza Hut driver $1 and this was after I had been a driver for a while and she had previously been a waitress for a long time. I was like "WTH $1?" And she said the delivery charge was like $3. I quickly ran out before he left, tipped him properly and let him know my mom thought the delivery charge went to him. And then yes, I educated her on delivery charges.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
My mom once tipped a Pizza Hut driver $1 and this was after I had been a driver for a while and she had previously been a waitress for a long time. I was like "WTH $1?" And she said the delivery charge was like $3. I quickly ran out before he left, tipped him properly and let him know my mom thought the delivery charge went to him. And then yes, I educated her on delivery charges.

I always feel bad because when I was 13 years old I ordered pizza for the first time by myself and only tipped the pizza guy like $1.50. Basically gave him a 20 and told him to keep the change. My brain just didn't compute the scale of money or the proper tip amount. I realized after sitting for a bit and thinking about the interaction I messed up, and felt really guilty. Haven't stiffed a driver like that again since.

Anyways, I hate this promo, and I'd be way more inclined to order Dominoes if they'd do a 100% matching on tips directly to drivers rather than a coupon that's just there to try to trick you into ordering their crappy pizza twice.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
This will be an excuse by Dominos to increase their prices more. $50 pizza delivery with $20 delivery fee (none of which goes to the driver) is our future.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
I never understood. Why is there a delivery fee if Dominos doesn't do anything specifically around delivery? Like... it's not like they're the one's providing a car? So why is there a charge for delivery if none of the money is going to the driver?
Because people will pay it. The money doesn't even go to the franchise or location you order from, it's all royalties that go straight to corporate.

Also, dominos will have better coupons for carry out as well, so they are in some ways double charging you for delivery.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Well damn. When I try to tip my wife she usually tells me to roll over and go to sleep. Guess I'll have to start tipping Dominos instead.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Why not just give the 3 bucks to the drivers yourself domino's? Not trying to get into a tipping argument here this just seems like way too many steps to doing the same thing. Even though the amount of redeemed coupons will cost them probably way less than just a wage increase, it's gotta be somewhat close right? This way just comes with a weird marketing push, and I guess is less permanent.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Why not just give the 3 bucks to the drivers yourself domino's? Not trying to get into a tipping argument here this just seems like way too many steps to doing the same thing. Even though the amount of redeemed coupons will cost them probably way less than just a wage increase, it's gotta be somewhat close right? This way just comes with a weird marketing push, and I guess is less permanent.

It's not close at all. You explained it yourself.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
god, I got so excited seeing the title of this thread and thinking they would "match" a portion of your tip to give to the driver as well 💔

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I'm confused by these responses. Isn't this just to incentivise people in tipping the driver? Like the driver will get the tip and the customer gets a little voucher?

Does the driver not get the tip?

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
How about just give the delivery charge that your manager's keep for themselves (and very rudely brag about) to the drivers absolutely wouldn't mind that.

I only ever took advantage of the carryout special because hey $3 is $3 but being on the other end of deliveries it's absolutely annoying. Little Caesars race to the bottom and only paying a $1.75 base pay for a doordash and other drivers is absolutely criminal

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm confused by these responses. Isn't this just to incentivise people in tipping the driver? Like the driver will get the tip and the customer gets a little voucher?

Does the driver not get the tip?

If Domino's was concerned about the amount of money their delivery drivers are making they could pay them more.

Instead, this is a coupon whitewashed as being something labour-friendly. It incentivizes customers to buy a pizza during the period and tip (a thing most people already do) and then either guarantees another sale the next week (where there would probably not have been a purchase, but hey, they have a coupon) or the coupon goes unused and costs them nothing.

They've done the math and think it'll result in more pizza sales than it costs. It's just a regular-ass coupon with a set duration and then the drivers will be back where they started.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
This happens so much it's unreal, I do DoorDash and I have people tipping a dollar to bring them food 30 miles away… the only thing I can think of is it's older people that just don't understand.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
boiler plate arguments about tipping culture and labor wage aside (which, let's face it, will never change) it's... not THAT terrible an idea. not like Domino's is solely the arbiter on this stuff

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Careful, I got accused of classism the last time I joked about Domino's sucking.
I mean tbf Dominos IS pretty cheap and good pizza is getting way too expensive. A large pie with one topping is up to like $25 these days at the local places meanwhile a quick google search shows Dominos offering a large pizza with TWO toppings for under $7. So I can see why someone going through a hard time could take the joke the wrong way. But I'm from New Jersey so despite being lower class than most people on this forum myself, it's part of how I was raised to be a snob about pizza.