• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017

via DeepL:
Universal Studios Japan (USJ) has announced that a new "Donkey Kong" themed area will open next spring.

According to USJ, the new area will be called "Donkey Kong Country" and will be themed around the world of Super Mario, and will be an expansion of "Super Nintendo World," which opened in 2021.

The area, which recreates the world of Nintendo's popular "Donkey Kong" game, will feature a roller coaster-type attraction with an image of a trolley, and the area will be 1.7 times larger than the previous one.

U.S.J. Vice President Taku Murayama:
We hope you will look forward to a new experience where adults and children alike will be enthralled, be themselves, and get super-excited as they search, discover, collect, and be amazed by unpredictable experiences."

The Donkey Kong-themed area will be the first of its kind in the world and is scheduled to open next spring.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rR1eLi2Fks

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's fucking go. I still remember the construction on this thing with set leaks like 2 years ago lol time actualy flies by

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Very excited for this! Bummed they seemingly cut Ellie the Elephant out since she was in the set leaks. No K. Rool either, but unfortunately that's expected.

Hoping for some non-DK and Diddy merch in the gift shops down the line!!

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I hope the mine cart ride goes really painfully slow and level but you get AR goggles that make it feel like you're going slightly faster and doing jumps and having fun.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Haven't been keeping up, but I really hope we get something like this in the states. DKC is one of my favorite series and lord knows when I could ever travel to Japan.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty cool they're still keeping the "Country" branding. Definitely says to me that they aren't done with DK platformers, just a matter of time.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I admittedly don't go to a bunch of theme parks, but all the footage I've seen of Mario World makes it look like there isn't very much to do at all

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Funny how this and super nintendo land in Osaka were built in between EPCOT having their main Plaza refurbished.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
It's Universal. Gonna be a lot of looking at screens I'd say.

Universal has backed off of screen attractions after reading a ton of much deserved shit over them. Mario Kart does use AR but it's mostly real sets. Secret Life of Pets, Hagrid's, Velocicoaster have very little-no screens.

The DK coaster is supposed to be a full blown family coaster with launches and DK animatronics. Dunno if anything was cut in the budget but those were in the plans.

Funny how this and super nintendo land in Osaka were built in between EPCOT having their main Plaza refurbished.

In the time Epcot was under construction Universal's built 2 roller coasters, a shooting gallery with matching miniland, and nearly a full new theme park.

Disney kinda bad at construction but no real reason other than mismanagement.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Cool seeing Dixie in the key art but man I was hoping they'd be brave enough to bring in K. Rool instead of... Tiki Tong?

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
pretty bummed that I don't expect this to come to my home park in Hollywood. But I'll definitely look to save up; I assume Orlando should have DKC as well.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Universal has backed off of screen attractions after reading a ton of much deserved shit over them. Mario Kart does use AR but it's mostly real sets. Secret Life of Pets, Hagrid's, Velocicoaster have very little-no screens.
That's good to hear. I haven't been back since a year or two after the Harry Potter section opened. The video-heavy stuff was just not for me.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
At first I groaned at Diddy's design until I saw the actual strapping and I saw his trademark stars designs. Man gonna be a pain considering those could just be limited to Japan and Florida and I never got either characters in their amiibo figures.

All the power up bands are at Hollywood IIRC so I'm expecting them to be in Florida in 2025.

I go to alot, Mario world is absolutely dreadful.

The Hollywood version is like half the size of Japan and will be a third of the size of Florida when it's built.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be like this for the sake of accuracy:

donkey-kong-country-mine-cart.gif

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017

View: https://x.com/bioreconstruct/status/1721154686726644127?s=46&t=BNCBFVCGGjd-Oz9sjT3xaQ

This is the current progress for Florida. You can see the vertical "hidden" track the mine cart actually travels on and the horizontal facade track that will be visible to the rider. You can even see the "hop" in the hidden track that will make it appear like the cart is jumping over gaps to the rider and also to viewers on the ground level.

yeh, ive seen the blueprints for this long ago, so simple but ingenious, gonna be absolutely amazing to experience this

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Awesome! Loved visiting Super Nintendo World there earlier this year. Just magic.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, guess I know when I'm headed back to Japan. I went to their Super Nintendo World in January just before the one here in the US opened.