Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
This is both docked and undocked, in OG and Turbo. I'm not going to say it's unplayable or anything, but it sure as hell isn't a pleasant experience. There are better ways to play the 6 NES games, like on 3DS Virtual Console. The lag is at least 5 or 6 frames. It feels sluggish and unresponsive. You can literally hear the delay between a button press and a buster shot going off. MMLC2 is fine, it's just the first one.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
  1. Go into your Mega Man game of choice.
  2. Press the "-" or "Select" button on your controller to open up the Options menu.
  3. Go down to "CPU Speed".
  4. Set it to "Original".
Mega Man should start controlling like normal.

Source: Directly from /r/nintendoswitch

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm usually extremely sensitive to input lag, but it doesn't feel that bad to me here. Maybe it's because it's my first time playing through these games so I can't compare it to the other versions.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Testing it against the 3DS VC version, I see what you mean. I don't think it's significant input lag, though. It seems more like there's an audio delay.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It's really not any worse than any other version of the game.
It technically is. I played the PS4 port today and its not as laggy. Feels very close to the original releases. I also played the original Famicom versions on my SDTV and they control noticeably better as well.

That said, the input lag on the Switch version really isn't that bad for me. I adapt in a few minutes and can easily clear stuff like Quick Man's level with just the buster weapon no problem. But you can definitely feel that Mega Man "weighs" slightly more when controlling him. Especially if you jump right into the second Legacy collection which next to no input lag (or none at all) as the controls are snappier.

Oct 27, 2017
Other than Mega Man 1, I beat Mega Man 2-6 without dying and had zero issues at all. Everything played accordingly with what I've expected from these games that I've beaten dozens of times each, and this was in turbo mode.

This is an overreaction.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Some other re-releases also had a hint of input lag here and there, but it's actively impacted my actual play in LC1 Switch; I'm missing jumps that I've otherwise had no problem making throughout my years of playing MM1 because of it.

At least Collection 2 is good. Hopefully X Collection doesn't have any issues.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
It technically is. I played the PS4 port today and its not as laggy. Feels very close to the original releases. I also played the original Famicom versions on my SDTV and they control noticeably better as well.

That said, the input lag on the Switch version really isn't that bad for me. I adapt in a few minutes and can easily clear stuff like Quick Man's level with just the buster weapon no problem. But you can definitely feel that Mega Man "weighs" slightly more when controlling him. Especially if you jump right into the second Legacy collection which next to no input lag (or none at all) as the controls are snappier.

Of course it's worse than a famicom on an SD tv. It's far from broken or unplayable. I've played these games for a long time on a lot of different hardware and it feels perfectly fine to me. I blew through Mega Man 1-3 in one sitting and I'm halfway through 4 and it's not a problem at all.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's worse than a famicom on an SD tv. It's far from broken or unplayable. I've played these games for a long time on a lot of different hardware and it feels perfectly fine to me. I blew through Mega Man 1-3 in one sitting and I'm halfway through 4 and it's not a problem at all.

I don't disagree that they are fine to play. I've done MM1 and a few of the challenges. Need to go back and do it again without dying for the heck of it. But you said "
It's really not any worse than any other version of the game" which isn't true, as there is definitely added lag over several other MM ports throughout the years (PS4, 3DS included). There's some interesting stats in the main thread for the game where people break down the added lag the Switch version has over other ports of the Legacy Collection. Certainly not game breaking to me, but certainly noticeable at the same time.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Testing it against the 3DS VC version, I see what you mean. I don't think it's significant input lag, though. It seems more like there's an audio delay.

I don't think it's just the audio, but yeah. On 3DS you can hear a buster shot go off nearly at the same time as the sound of a button press, but there's a noticeable delay on Switch.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I don't disagree that they are fine to play. I've done MM1 and a few of the challenges. Need to go back and do it again without dying for the heck of it. But you said "
It's really not any worse than any other version of the game" which isn't true, as there is definitely added lag over several other MM ports throughout the years (PS4, 3DS included).

There's some interesting stats in the main thread for the game where people break down the added lag the Switch version has over other ports of the Legacy Collection. Certainly not game breaking to me, but certainly noticeable at the same time.

I believe someone, possibly the OP here, said it has one additional frame of lag over the PS4 version. So while that I suppose might make it technically worse it hasn't been an issue for a majority of the people playing it and I wouldn't say "Don't buy this game. It has BAD lag." which is the entire point of this thread.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say don't buy MMLC1 if you're incredibly sensitive to input lag. If you're not, you'll be fine. I finished Quick Man's stage in a single life on my first try. Quick Man's stage requires pinpoint accuracy to complete (unless you use Flash Man's time stopper, which I did not).

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's just the audio, but yeah. On 3DS you can hear a buster shot go off nearly at the same time as the sound of a button press, but there's a noticeable delay on Switch.
It's probably a combination of both. If there was input lag so significant that you can actually clearly hear the difference, I'd be falling into cliffs left and right. Plus it should be more easily visible when jumping. And audio issues would be par for the course for this collection. lol

Scythesurge

Oct 25, 2017
Check out the testing I did in my post over in the OT (the spreadsheet has video links to where I did my tests). The range of latency is pretty significant depending on your inputs and outputs. I have found most of the setups to be playable except for docked w/pro. I've been using wired controllers and feel like it's ok, though not as responsive as other ways of playing (i.e. NES on CRT, or even 3DS versions).

https://www.resetera.com/posts/8406017/

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Check out the testing I did in my post over in the OT (the spreadsheet has video links to where I did my tests). The range of latency is pretty significant depending on your inputs and outputs. I have found most of the setups to be playable except for docked w/pro. I've been using wired controllers and feel like it's ok, though not as responsive as other ways of playing (i.e. NES on CRT, or even 3DS versions).

https://www.resetera.com/posts/8406017/

Docked with Pro has been the only way I've been playing it and it still doesn't feel broken in any way.

Comparing any kind of modern screen to a CRT also seems exceptionally silly to me.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
That's disappointing to hear. I had the 3DS version of MMLC1 and thought about getting the 1+2 version on Switch.

I hope they don't do this to the X collection.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's disappointing to hear. I had the 3DS version of MMLC1 and thought about getting the 1+2 version on Switch.

I hope they don't do this to the X collection.

Legacy Collection 2 is fine on the Switch. Its probably related to how the first 6 games were emulated/ported to the Switch. Assuming Capcom follows a similar style of porting/emulating the X games to what they did in LC2, it should be perfectly fine. Well, sprite scaling might be a bit wonky.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Can't say I noticed in handheld and tabletop mode. But I don't have a reference to compare it to. It certainly felt playable enough.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I noticed in handheld and tabletop mode. But I don't have a reference to compare it to. It certainly felt playable enough.

I'm just saying "playable enough" isn't good enough for a collection that was originally made out to be new master copies of these games. I beat MM1-3 on it this past week. It's playable, just not enjoyable for me. This is constantly on my mind when playing.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I was thinking about picking up the whole collection on Switch. Might have to pass now or wait for an update.

What's really worrying me is the X collection.

Scythesurge

Oct 25, 2017
Docked with Pro has been the only way I've been playing it and it still doesn't feel broken in any way.

Comparing any kind of modern screen to a CRT also seems exceptionally silly to me.
Hey man I'm glad it's working out for you. It's literally unplayable for me docked with pro, I don't know what to tell you because I put up some data that backs up my feelings with this. I'm comparing it against the other ways I have of playing these games, which includes NES on CRT and those other methods feel better and more responsive.

I was thinking about picking up the whole collection on Switch. Might have to pass now or wait for an update.

What's really worrying me is the X collection.
After playing LC1 on Switch I was worried about LC2 and the Street Fighter collection that just came out, but both of those are ok so I'm not worried about the X collection.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Hey man I'm glad it's working out for you. It's literally unplayable for me docked with pro, I don't know what to tell you because I put up some data that backs up my feelings with this. I'm comparing it against the other ways I have of playing these games, which includes NES on CRT and those other methods feel better and more responsive.

NES on a CRT with an actual cart being less laggy than an emulated game on an HDTV is not shocking in any way. Of course it feels more responsive.

I'm not saying your data is wrong, but are you sure you have all the HD post processing effects on your TV off and Turbo CPU off? I'm not saying there isn't lag present, but it's definitely not game breaking like at all.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Why does this keep happening? MM9 and 10 on PS3 were virtually unplayable with the amount of input lag, though oddly I haven't really seen people complain about it. The PS1 re-releases lagged like hell, and the Wii U VC versions suffer from input lag as well.

I have the original carts (except for 5, that game is way too expensive now for it's quality), so I can always get the authentic experience there, but I really was hopeful of getting a good playing handheld Mega Man. The 3DS versions are fine, but the hand cramps aren't worth it.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does this keep happening?

Can't speak for last-gen versions of Mega Man 9 and 10, but it's an issue with the NES games because they were developed for CRT televisions. Lag is present in almost all re-releases of older games, but it's more noticeable on games where timing is everything, like Mega Man and Punch-Out!! (the second to last stage in Battletoads is the best/worst example of input lag making a classic game unplayable on an HDTV). Most people can adjust to it, but it's never really going to stop being a thing with these re-releases. Apparently the lag in the Switch version of MMLC1 is even a bit worse than it is in other versions, but it's not going to be a thing for most players. I've played all versions of MMLC1 and have adjusted just fine.

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
Legacy collection 2 is def on point especially with he jump and slide shit.

My 6 year old loves the stage select music in MM8 too...so weird

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying your data is wrong, but are you sure you have all the HD post processing effects on your TV off and Turbo CPU off? I'm not saying there isn't lag present, but it's definitely not game breaking like at all.

I'm playing it on handheld mode. No TV lag to contend with and turbo on or off there is still a minute amount of lag present over the PS4 port of the game. Its just the Switch port being not quite as good in that respect. A pity, but not game breaking.

Can't speak for last-gen versions of Mega Man 9 and 10, but it's an issue with the NES games because they were developed for CRT televisions. Lag is present in almost all re-releases of older games, but it's more noticeable on games where timing is everything, like Mega Man and Punch-Out!! (the second to last stage in Battletoads is the best/worst example of input lag making a classic game unplayable on an HDTV). Most people can adjust to it, but it's never really going to stop being a thing with these re-releases. Apparently the lag in the Switch version of MMLC1 is even a bit worse than it is in other versions, but it's not going to be a thing for most players. I've played all versions of MMLC1 and have adjusted just fine.

Last gen MM9 and 10 was as bad, if not worst in terms of input lag than the first Switch collection. That was super noticeable. Not unplayable though, I still managed to clear 10 twice without taking any damage!

And you mention Battletoads, yeah, that penultimate level was a nightmare to play when doing it via the Rare replay collection. Was that lag though? I only ask as the controls seemed super on point otherwise. But I remember that one level taking me a good hour or so to nail down perfectly.