dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Doing some prep stuff before selling my PS4 so thought I'd give you a heads-up.

I don't even know if PS4 backups of games/captures/saves etc will seamlessly carry over to the PS5 via USB or external HDD, but you better believe I'm backing up P.T. Did the same when I went from the OG PS4 to the Pro and now it's that time again.

MCDdq0E.gif

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Yeah I'm taking P.t with me to PS5 lol. I did the same with my PS4 Pro, then my Seagate SSHD died, I then downloaded the game again, I forget what you have to do, but Google will help you.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It's just a demo. If I lose it I don't really care, I'll never play it again.

and yeah you gotta keep your PS4, that shit ain't working on PS5

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Guess I'll find out. Hopefully any PS4 software will be in a playable state at some point, just without any direct improvements.
There was rumors that they were letting every PS4 game to be played, but not officially supported. Which means a game cane be played but if it used some tricks with the PS4 hardware it might be impossible to play some sections or even finish the game. Happened with a lot of PS2 games on the backwards compatible PS3.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
If you previously downloaded it there's a way to get it back. I've tried this method and can vouch for it personally, will try it on PS5 too.

powerup-gaming.com

How to redownload P.T. Silent Hills Demo - PowerUp!

The playable teaser for Silent Hills was released on PS4 in 2014. Known as P.T. (short for playable teaser) and released under the fake developer 7780s Studio, this demo for Silent Hills was created by Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro. Played in first-person, P.T. featured a hallway that...

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Either way, if it works on PS5 at all, you can probably just do that proxy trick to get it back on your console.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Would PT even work if you saved it and put it on another PS4? Anyways, I'm keeping my PS4 for my bedroom so that solves that problem ;).

OP
OP
dmr87

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
It's just a demo. If I lose it I don't really care, I'll never play it again.

and yeah you gotta keep your PS4, that shit ain't working on PS5

It's more about conserving it than actually playing again, but it would be nice to be able to bust it out now and again for someone that haven't seen or played it.

Would PT even work if you saved it and put it on another PS4? Anyways, I'm keeping my PS4 for my bedroom so that solves that problem ;).

I carried it over to my Pro so yes.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Gonna just repost my info from another thread:

You can absolutely download it again as long as your account has already downloaded it - you just need to do some tech magic. Basically: P.T. is no longer available for the public to download (or redownload) but it's still on Sony's servers. This is how people with PS4 Pro consoles have it (like me) since they removed access from downloading it before the console released. I doubt I could post directions or a link here, but do a quick search and you'll find a way. It was so long ago, but I remember you need a computer handy. You're essentially forcing your console to redownload P.T. through the back end.

TL;DR: it's still possible to redownload P.T. if you originally downloaded it on your account, with a computer and know how.

It'll be very interesting to see if anyone somehow gets it into their PS5 (using this method, or something similar).

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I recently did a two hour gaming session at a local cinema with my PS4 hooked up and I made sure that I gave PT a whirl on the big screen. So good, PT forever.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna sell my Pro before I get PT setup on the PS5

I dont know why people are doubting it will be BC? It would be a dick move to block it... oh.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Not gonna sell my Pro before I get PT setup on the PS5

I dont know why people are doubting it will be BC? It would be a dick move to block it... oh.
I see we've come to an understanding. I also plan to hold onto my pro until I know for sure I can get it working on PS5. It's a piece of history.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Lost my PT when Firecuda decided to die on me. Should have backed it up but I liked to live dangerously I guess. Carried the thing through 3 ps4s but alas...

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
There isn't a "compatibility list" the console is compatible with pretty much every game in the PS4 library.
There absolutely is a list, it may be a large majority but there are definitely games that won't work. There's a reason every time it's mentioned by Sony or a partner they say backwards compatible ps4 games or a large majority instead of all. You can bet that this will not be a priority on that list.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you previously downloaded it there's a way to get it back. I've tried this method and can vouch for it personally, will try it on PS5 too.

powerup-gaming.com

The playable teaser for Silent Hills was released on PS4 in 2014. Known as P.T. (short for playable teaser) and released under the fake developer 7780s Studio, this demo for Silent Hills was created by Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro. Played in first-person, P.T. featured a hallway that...
Don't even have to have downloaded it, just claimed it to your PlayStation account. Like, I added it to my PlayStation account from the web store before I even had a PS4 and by the time I did get a PS4 the game was delisted but I was still able to download it using this trick.

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
Guys, Sony we're saying the same shit when the Procame put and people were freaking out about Boost mode screwing up games.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Don't even have to have downloaded it, just claimed it to your PlayStation account. Like, I added it to my PlayStation account from the web store before I even had a PS4 and by the time I did get a PS4 the game was delisted but I was still able to download it using this trick.

Lol that's what I meant, just worded poorly. Yeah as long as it's claimed and showing in your library you can somehow route it to your system from a cache this way. I guess Sony doesn't truly remove the executables, just migrates them somewhere else.

I imagine if PT shows up in your library still on PS5 this will still work.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
There absolutely is a list, it may be a large majority but there are definitely games that won't work. There's a reason every time it's mentioned by Sony or a partner they say backwards compatible ps4 games or a large majority instead of all. You can bet that this will not be a priority on that list.

That doesn't mean there is a list. That just means Sony can't test 4000+ titles and can't 100% guarantee compatibility but that every title in theory *should* work and in no way excludes PT. It just is a matter of how nicely PT plays with the PS5's hardware which we won't know until the console is out.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My PT license already got fucked with because you needed Ps+ for it in Germany and everytime a nee subscription starts all the licenses need to be renewed 😭

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
There was rumors that they were letting every PS4 game to be played, but not officially supported. Which means a game cane be played but if it used some tricks with the PS4 hardware it might be impossible to play some sections or even finish the game. Happened with a lot of PS2 games on the backwards compatible PS3.

Doesnt the system go into ps4 legacy mode for those kind of scenario's?

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I get the assumption that it probably won't work, but If you have a licence and generally you can port your existing collection over via HDD from PS4 > PS5 then why 'wouldn't' it work?

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I lost P.T. when my PS4 was stolen. I've tried that trick to re-download on my new PS4 but it never work, I might have been doing something wrong, or my VPN program was messing with it.

Oct 26, 2017
I've got P.T. installed on both my Pro and OG PS4 and don't plan to sell either.

But OP's point has made me wonder about backup and restore cross-gen:

Do you reckon Sony will allow me to restore a PS4 backup onto a PS5? Ideally I'd like to keep some screenshots and videos I've captured, and it would probably be an easier way of transferring game saves rather than redownloading everything from PS+.

What I want to get to is where I've got a couple of choice PS4 games (looking at you, CP2077) installed on the SSD alongside some launch PS5 games, with everything else on an external HDD. Guessing that if we are allowed to restore a PS4 backup then everything will be put on the SSD and will then need to be moved to USB HDD later.

Marco_Tovarich

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Dublin, Ireland

powerup-gaming.com

Any way of doing this with a Mac?

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, thanks. Clinging onto a game demo feels really misguided to me.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019

powerup-gaming.com

holy shit, this actually worked

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
No, thanks. Clinging onto a game demo feels really misguided to me.
It was never a game demo. Wasn't even intended to represent the final product in any way. It's a 1 to 2 hours long mini-game teasing the concept of Kojima working on a Silent Hill game. It's legitimately still fun to play to this day. What you're saying is like telling people they shouldn't hold on to Ground Zeroes because The Phantom Pain is out. Not the same thing.

And either way, it's a piece of gaming history that deserves to be preserved.

Oct 25, 2017
Any way of doing this with a Mac?
Don't have a mac to verify this myself, but I found this.

It does indeed work. The only trick is the page his video links to that explains how it works no longer exists, so you'll have to do some Googling. Google SquidMan for the most recent version of that software, then google PT OS X Template for the PasteBin he mentions. It's all pretty simple. Downloading now for me! Thanks for finding that!