WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
With a hit or VERY miss filmography and some problematic quotes to his credit, director Colin Trevorrow has become the reluctant poster boy of White Male Mediocrity in Hollywood. In just six years, his career has hit dizzying highs and crushing lows. But as co-writer and executive producer on Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, he's back in the spotlight and trying to save his faltering reputation by rewriting his history. And we're not buying it.

As a refresher: The well-received sci-fi indie Safety Not Guaranteedscored Trevorrow an invite to the big leagues, helming the resurrection of the Jurassic Park franchise with 2015's Jurassic World. Thought it made bank, critics called Jurassic World out for misogyny, citing those damn high heels and the movies most violent scene where a young woman is brutally killed by rampaging carnivorous dinosaurs. Trevorrow did not help matters by tellingEmpire that she "earned" her death "because she was a bridezilla."

That summer Trevorrow became a popular example of white male directors who seem to get greater opportunities out of a single hit indie than filmmakers who are female and/or people of color. He made matters worse by taking to Twitter to speaking on behalf of all women to proclaim women don't direct big-budget studio movies because they don't want to. (For more on this check out friend of Pajiba's Angie Han's piece on Slashfilm. Trevorrow did.)

Nonetheless, Trevorrow was on track to become a major blockbuster director, hired to helm Star Wars: Episode IX. But ahead of that production, he made a small-budget thriller called The Book of Henry, which was so loathed by critics (this one included) that it sparked concerns about whether Trevorrow could be trusted with a franchise as beloved as Star Wars. After several months of Book of Henry bashing, Trevorrow was fired from Star Wars: Episode IX. But that may have less to do with his flopped film and more to do with the director being "difficult."

But don't cry for Trevorrow. He'll return to the director's chair for Jurassic World 3. Ahead of that, he's trying to answer for his missteps with no holds barred interviews, like the one he gave Uproxx's Mike Ryan. To Trevorrow's credit, he confessed that speaking for all female directors was "a huge mistake," adding, "I'm really sorry for it." He also noted that experience made him more aware of the challenges women in Hollywood face, and more engaged on making an effort to work with them. Props for progress and growth!

Less great was when talk turned to The Book of Henry. "I made a film about holding predatory men in positions of power accountable for assault," Trevorrow said, "And that is an uncomfortable subject to talk about. But we are talking about it now and we're listening and I hope the negative response won't deter other filmmakers from telling these stories, because we need to hear them, both in life and in art."

Basically, Trevorrow would have you believe he made a Me Too movie ahead of the Me Too movement. The other bold comment came on Twitter, where he claimed The Book of Henry was a carbon copy of Star Wars: A New Hope.

In an interview with Slashfilm, he expounded on this theory, saying:

"It's a foundational myth. It's a noble ghost story. Where a character lives on after death in order to guide a hero to find their strength and defeat ultimate evil. And structurally, I can't…but you're gonna print this, unfortunately. I'm saying this now. But the way that I look at movies, I do see Avatar and Titanic and Jurassic World [as] very similar movies. Henry was Obi-Wan Kenobi. And he died in the middle. And he left a set of instructions on how to take out the Death Star where Darth Vader was holding a Princess captive. And at the very end, when he had the target in his sights, he had to remember his training. Guided by this ghostly voice. And then Han Solo comes in with the Rube Goldberg machine and gives him the moment. And ultimately the Princess saves herself."

More in the piece: http://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/...ars.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Trevorrow is crazy. You can see bits and pieces of his fucked up outlook in all of his work and it's kind of unsettling. I will never not be overjoyed that he was axed from Episode IX.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't seen Book of Henry, but I did see the Double Toasted spoiler/review of it and that was more than enough for me to know that this man is full of shit.

Oct 27, 2017
He should be proud of crafting such an elaborate, well produced, earnest, train wreck. It's legitimately impressive that movie got made at all.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Is Book of Henry the new The Room? I'm sincerely asking the people who saw it.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I never miss an opportunity to state that Colin Trevorrow is fucking hack.

Colin Trevorrow is a fucking hack.

Thank you.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Book of Henry was on The Movie Network so I watched it one night. Really don't understand all the hate, because I thought it was pretty good.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Trevorrow is crazy. You can see bits and pieces of his fucked up outlook in all of his work and it's kind of unsettling. I will never not be overjoyed that he was axed from Episode IX.
I mean, you just need to look at his short "Home Base" which was a popular video going around the internet in the early 00s (Synopsis: "A bitter ex-boyfriend exacts sweet revenge by actively pursuing a sexual relationship with his former girlfriend's mother."). Granted, people are allowed to evolve and change their views, but it shows a pretty clear trajectory from where he was at, where he's been, and where he still needs to go.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Honestly, Star Wars fans deserve a Colin Trevorrow movie at this point.
Go full evil Kathleen, give him the Obi Wan movie.

DStubbs

Oct 28, 2017
How good is Safety Not Guaranteed? I've never seen it nor heard of it until I learned Trevorrow was gonna direct Jurassic World. Just found it odd this guy came out of nowhere to make JW and almost directed Episode IX.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
good lord what is this ...

I don't like any of this guy's movies, not even Safety Not Guaranteed (what a cop out of an ending!) but this hit piece is the trashiest, axe-grindiest thing I've seen in a while

"don't let him gaslight you into thinking..." like, put the bottle down, get a hobby

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Book of Henry was on The Movie Network so I watched it one night. Really don't understand all the hate, because I thought it was pretty good.

Have you watched the video above you and actually engaged with the criticism the movie got? This could be an interesting discussion if you made an argument, but there is very little one can do with "It though it was good" :P Why did you think it was good? What of Dan's points (just because the video was already linked here) would you disagree with? Legit curious.

But yeah, Trevorrow's relative success is baffling. Jurassic World 2's script is so ridiculously bad it's almost unbelievable.

mojo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This dude shouldn't even be allowed to download a script writing template for Microsoft word.

foppy79

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Man
I remember being excited for this dude after safety not guaranteed
I forgot the book of Henry was a thing, and now I'm morbidly curious

How good is Safety Not Guaranteed? I've never seen it nor heard of it until I learned Trevorrow was gonna direct Jurassic World. Just found it odd this guy came out of nowhere to make JW and almost directed Episode IX.
Its legitimately pretty good, and a weird far cry from what he's become. I strongly recommend it

KelticNight

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is he really "gaslighting" though? That makes it sound like it's an elaborate Machiavellian scheme of his, when all he's really doing is going "That thing I made is not shit, you're all wrong" and sullking... something a fucking hundred thousand people have done in all forms of media.

Was Uwe Boll gaslighting when he told the world his films weren't utter drivel? No, he was just chatting shit. Same as this guy.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
He wrote JW and JW:FK. He should be allowed to finish his trilogy.
He shouldn't be "allowed" anything.

He made a gargantually stupid blockbuster, made an utterly nonsensical piece of trash personal film, got fired off his next blockbuster because of his overinflated ego, and wrote yet another trash Jurassic film.

Why is he afforded these chances when there are countless talented filmmakers who deserve these opportunities so much more?

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
Is this hack back for JW3?! News to me. Talk about failing upwards jesus christ. Same thing with RJ to a lesser degree.

I wonder why Pratt is oozing charisma in Guardians and not in JW. I really wonder, hmmmm.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I really liked it. I'm not exactly a cinephile so I don't know a ton about directing, but the story was well told and the characters were well done.

And I abhorred Jurassic World, pure schlock.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Is this fuck back for JW3?! News to me. Talk about failing upwards jesus christ. Same thing with RJ to a lesser degree.

He wrote Fallen Kingdom so he was never really gone. His directing isn't amazing but the big problem of these movies isn't the directing, it's the script.

Why is the female assistant's "brutal death scene" in Jurassic World 1 an example of misogyny?

Because her death was treated and directed as if a huge villian would meet his deserved end, clearly to be cheered. There was a pretty big discussion about it back when the film released because no one really understood what the fuck was up with that death scene, because that woman had basically nothing to do with anything and didn't at all deserve a death scene like that. Add to that his comments about her earning her death because she was a "bridezilla" and the general mysoginist tone of the movie (example: Every single interaction between Chris Pratt and high-heels-lady) and there you go.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Star Wars fans deserve a Colin Trevorrow movie at this point.
Go full evil Kathleen, give him the Obi Wan movie.
2yNpe5I.gif

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Jurrasic World is one of the most painfully stupid movies I've ever seen. Star Wars IX would have been prequel tier with him at the helm, maybe worse.

Rian Johnson had Brick, The Brothers Bloom, Looper, and several episodes of great television, like Breaking Bad and Terriers under his belt. Breaking Bad's Ozymandias alone is light years ahead of Trevorrow's entire filmography. Honestly, fuck Steven Spielberg for trying to make this guy a king off of ONE, minor indie comedy.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Real talk, how did he land JW?

I mean - good for him - I'm not gonna hate. But to go from one studio/indie film in SNG to a huge, $200M budget blockbuster attached to a massive IP seems crazy.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is this hack back for JW3?! News to me. Talk about failing upwards jesus christ. Same thing with RJ to a lesser degree.

I wonder why Pratt is oozing charisma in Guardians and not in JW. I really wonder, hmmmm.

Rian Johnson has a lot of good work under his belt. The man clearly has chops. Get out of here with that.

You should watch the behind the scenes features for JW. Half of Treverow's direction was "Look there and scream!" They also intentionally made sure Pratt wasn't funny. Pratt talks about wanting to improv and say a funny line, and the hardest thing about the role was making sure he doesn't.