• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Hope it is good and does well, kinda got the impression LiS2 has struggled a bit?

I'm not sure it has hit the highs of the first game for me so far since episode 3 of Life is Strange 1 is godly tier, but I've found myself really liking whats been released of LiS2 so far, just has a bit of a different vibe than the first game. Also, in fairness I think it really helps I have a little brother who I've sorta had to look out for.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I bought every fucking Dontnod game at full price on Steam and now they go with EPIC. Great. Thank you very much.

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Should we just assume that every PC game that isn't published by EA, SE, Capcom, Activision, Ubisoft, Microsoft, or T2 is just going to be EGS timed exclusive now or something?

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
I bought every fucking Dontnod game at full price on Steam and now they go with EPIC. Great. Thank you very much.

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.
It's months old news but i feel you, i will skip every EGS exclusive game as well and i bought every dontnod game

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I'm not sure it has hit the highs of the first game for me so far since episode 3 of Life is Strange 1 is godly tier, but I've found myself really liking whats been released of LiS2 so far, just has a bit of a different vibe than the first game. Also, in fairness I think it really helps I have a little brother who I've sorta had to look out for.
Oh I quite like it, I just have gotten the impression that the coverage and sales haven't quite matched.
I'm not certain, could just be hearsay.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Will still get the game on PS4 to support DontNod if it's good. They went bankrupt and almost shut down after Remember Me. Can't blame these smaller devs for taking Epic money for a 1 year exclusive deal having already been through rough times. DN's most successful game that saved them is a series they don't even own.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Oh I quite like it, I just have gotten the impression that the coverage and sales haven't quite matched.

Well there is 3 months between episodes and so the full game will be released in December.
And physical/collector edition next year probably.(or in December).
There are some coverage (Easy Allies and their spoiler mode videos for example),but not all the episodes are reviewed everywhere,and a lot of people are waiting to play it when the last episode will be released.

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
Should we just assume that every PC game that isn't published by EA, SE, Capcom, Activision, Ubisoft, Microsoft, or T2 is just going to be EGS timed exclusive now or something?

Sadly, pretty much any game with any amount of hype can fall prey to Epic's moneyhats. However, there are some developers and publishers that have already established their allegiances:
Ubisoft
Bigben
Private Division (2K subsidiary)
Klei
Supergiant
Annapurna
Tripwire
Deep Silver

If a game is being developed/published by any of those companies, there's a very high chance it'll be an EGS exclusive (or rather a Steam-excluded-for-one-year).

Do we have any idea about how successful the Epic Games Store has been?

I'd be very surprised if it was profitable yet. Moneyhats + free games every week + $10 discount on every game in the last sale + 12% cut = bleeding money. The "co-exclusives" like Ubisoft's games probably sell 99% on Uplay.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Bamco has released every pc game on steam and dark souls 3 steam is the most selling platform, yes even beating ps4, its very very unlikely they would trash all of that so i think elden ring is safe

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cool. Good for them. They deserve the support as much as anyone. I love their work and can't wait to play it.
Sneaky Cyberpunk 2077 EGS exclusive reveal.
Seems unlikely.

But hey... stranger things have happened.

Maybe they'll see the opportunity to follow in Ubisoft's footsteps and get paid a huge fucking pile of cash for the best marketing their own digital distribution platform has ever gotten.

Last edited:

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Bamco has released every pc game on steam and dark souls 3 steam is the most selling platform, yes even beating ps4, its very very unlikely they would trash all of that so i think elden ring is safe
Nothing is a sure bet when money is being put on the table.

Companies will do what they feel is best for the company, not to make consumers happy. Make some fans upset? Who cares, they might not have bought the game anyway. They'll take that chance and hope maybe some buy it later on. But this big promised wad of cash is a sure thing! Woo, money! If they are offered a big bag of money or a "minimum number of sold copies" for a year of exclusivity, it's possible they'll take it. Not all, but many will. It's not like we don't have any shortage of examples here.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
As the poster a few posts before said, its best to assume any big release in the next 2 years is potentially Epic bound. No assurances, from the dev or publisher will suffice until you actually see the game running on Steam on release day. If Borderlands ended up taking the money and going EGS then pretty much any game is possible to end up there too.

IIRC the Steam spy guy was creeping around Sekiro before its release. The only thing that maybe stopped that was From self publishing the game in Japan and Asia and it was too late to make the switch by then. Or they just never wanted it for their store. Japanese games are not yet in Epic's sight but what better way to start then with a From game.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Nothing is a sure bet when money is being put on the table.

Companies will do what they feel is best for the company, not to make consumers happy. Make some fans upset? Who cares, they might not have bought the game anyway. They'll take that chance and hope maybe some buy it later on. But this big promised wad of cash is a sure thing! Woo, money! If they are offered a big bag of money or a "minimum number of sold copies" for a year of exclusivity, it's possible they'll take it. Not all, but many will. It's not like we don't have any shortage of examples here.
Sure, but at this point everybody knows that not putting it on steam = way less copies sold, they must be really really stupid to do this and it's not gonna be even remotely profitable when they sell mlns on steam, epic doesn't give mlns of copies sold as far as we know but much less.
Ubisoft is the only outliner of this equation cause their strategy is for people to buy from uplay, they don't give a shit about egs
Borderlands is obviously another different case of hating steam, similar to ubisoft.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but at this point everybody knows that not putting it on steam = way less copies sold, they must be really really stupid to do this and it's not gonna be even remotely profitable when they sell mlns on steam, epic doesn't give mlns of copies sold as far as we know but much less.
Ubisoft is the only outliner of this equation cause their strategy is for people to buy from uplay, they don't give a shit about egs
Borderlands is obviously another different case of hating steam, similar to ubisoft.
It's hard to say because we don't actually know what these deals are. But previously we've heard guarantees that games will be guaranteed some minimum level in terms of sales. They get a Schwack of change day one for putting it there. They get a bigger cut of every sale on EGS.

And then down the line they still get to release on steam, probably recouping most missed potential sales and perhaps even getting some double dip money. If the compensation is good enough, why wouldn't these companies take the deal?

I can almost promise you that these companies are doing these deals because they make sense on a spreadsheet, not because Randy or Yves have an axe to grind.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
It's hard to say because we don't actually know what these deals are. But previously we've heard guarantees that games will be guaranteed some minimum level in terms of sales. They get a Schwack of change day one for putting it there. They get a bigger cut of every sale on EGS. And then down the line they still get to release on steam, probably recouping most missed potential sales and perhaps even getting some double dip money. If the compensation is good enough, why wouldn't these companies take the deal?
Only speculation but i would really be surprised if the compensation is good enough for 3/4 mln seller.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
But hey... stranger things have happened.

Maybe they'll see the opportunity to follow in Ubisoft's footsteps and get paid a huge fucking pile of cash for the best marketing their own digital distribution platform has ever gotten.
If Epic were willing to pay enough to cover my AAA game's budget, Keanu's salary, Bamco's marketing and all the crunch overtime I'm going to put my employees through, I'd think about their offer.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Epic were willing to pay enough to cover my AAA game's budget, Keanu's salary, Bamco's marketing and all the crunch overtime I'm going to put my employees through, I'd think about their offer.
At that point I'd fucking light my cigar with a burning printout of my steam store page.

That said I just realized CP77 is NOT gonna be EGS exclusive cuz they're already selling steam copies and I've already paid.

Edit: sorry Dalik didn't mean to quote you.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
I just asked this in the Sony thread. Not the best place to ask, but where else? I'm only 1 episode in, and a Google search provides me with spoilers I'd rather not know instead of any sales numbers I'm actually looking for. I guess no one knows.

I too get the feeling it's not doing so hot. You just don't hear anything from it. That and between what I believe some critics have said, and the fact some refuse to simply touch it b/c there's no Max/Chloe.

But again from what I played from the first episode, I'm really into it. I'm getting ready to support them further by buying the season pass during this (not so special) PS sale.

Regarding Twin Peaks, I won't knock them for getting into bed with them. They were in desperate times during LiS's development, and if it too had been a failure, there'd likely be no Dontnod

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
that thread title is like a one of those reverse kfc burgers, but the chicken fillets are made of shit.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Looks intriguing, will give it a closer look when it comes out in 2021.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The PC version of Twin Mirror will be released exclusively via Epic Games store for a 12-month period.
DONTNOD? More like WONTBUY. (that's as much effort as this deserves)

I bought all their games, and won't be buying any more. I'm so done with this. Vampyr was bad too, and they never fixed issues on the PC version like the mouse control and severe performance issues.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
I was quite hyped about this game, but will sadly have to pass it entirely (even after the exclusivity deal expires). I won't ever support these shitty practices, and I encourage others to do the same. We need to vote with our wallets to prevent this bullshit from spreading like wildfire in the future.

This instance doesn't hit as hard as The Outer Worlds though (which I was really looking forward to and now will have to skip).

Last edited:

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. Well, I was interested in this game until it became EGS exclusive. I'm boycotting; I simply cannot support Epic's practices. If it pops up on gamepass/Gold/ps+ I'll play it, otherwise I won't think about it for a couple of years.

Last edited:

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
That said I just realized CP77 is NOT gonna be EGS exclusive cuz they're already selling steam copies and I've already paid.

Well, there have already been cases of Epic buying out games which were offered as preorders or Kickstarter copies on Steam, so this argument doesn't really count.

The more important reasons of why this won't ever happen with CDPR games are these two: 1) CDPR have acted consistently pro-consumer for quite a long time and won't like to lose this carefully built image overnight and 2) they own GOG which probably still has a larger volume of third-party game sales than EGS does, so they don't even have a financial incentive to go EGS exclusive.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I never played a game from Dontnod I didn't love. But then I'm playing all their games on ps4, so this changes nothing for me.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Well, there have already been cases of Epic buying out games which were offered as preorders or Kickstarter copies on Steam, so this argument doesn't really count.

The more important reasons of why this won't ever happen with CDPR games are these two: 1) CDPR have acted consistently pro-consumer for quite a long time and won't like to lose this carefully built image overnight and 2) they own GOG which probably still has a larger volume of third-party game sales than EGS does, so they don't even have a financial incentive to go EGS exclusive.
CDPR could pull a Ubisoft and do "co-exclusive" release on EGS and GoG where vast majority of buyers would go to GoG version. That is of Epic paid enough.

Now, would they do that and piss off a lot of their fans? Probably not, but it all depends on that EGS check.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Take that deal if you want, to secure your company. But it's a hard pass when your PR says that you're pleased to make the game exclusive to one store.

Oct 26, 2017

Some developers care about their fanbases, others only want money.
I can assure you Epic Games probably made a big ass offer to CDPR and they declined, probably even bigger than any game they have on the store and they said no.
Same goes to Baldur's Gate 3 and Bloodlines 2.

Other developers, especially the big ones, are just greedy asses and they accepted EGS money and i'm talking about the big publishers.
Tiny ass developers going to EGS is good for them.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Some developers care about their fanbases, others only want money.
I can assure you Epic Games probably made a big ass offer to CDPR and they declined, probably even bigger than any game they have on the store and they said no.
Same goes to Baldur's Gate 3 and Bloodlines 2.

Other developers, especially the big ones, are just greedy asses and they accepted EGS money and i'm talking about the big publishers.
Tiny ass developers going to EGS is good for them.
CDPR is owned by the same parent company as GoG so no, Epic probably didn't even waste their time. Unless you think they've also given Microsoft a ring to see if they could get Gears 5 or Halo Infinite as EGS exclusives.

Oct 26, 2017
CDPR is owned by the same parent company as GoG so no, Epic probably didn't even waste their time. Unless you think they've also given Microsoft a ring to see if they could get Gears 5 or Halo Infinite as EGS exclusives.

EGS has no problems with games being on GOG, uPlay, Windows Store.
EGS has problems with games being on Steam; Metro Exodus is an EGS """exclusive""" but it's available on Windows Store same goes to Ashen, The Outer Worlds and other games, all Ubisoft games are on Uplay. When they can't strike a deal they have to deal with it and let games Bloodlines 2 and CP2077 being on EGS, Steam and GoG.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
CDPR could pull a Ubisoft and do "co-exclusive" release on EGS and GoG where vast majority of buyers would go to GoG version. That is of Epic paid enough.

Now, would they do that and piss off a lot of their fans? Probably not, but it all depends on that EGS check.
GoG is attempting to have some kind of cross library compatibility with Steam. CDPR has let Witcher copies owned on Steam roll into GoG. They're currently working on a version of Galaxy that will act as an all in one launcher system. GoG's core narrative is DRM free games.

Their entire business model is diametrically opposed to what EGS is. Ubisoft has uPlay because they want to drive as many sales and especially DLC/micro sales to their own walled garden where no one else gets a cut, nothing else. EGS lets them still force everyone over to uPlay so that works just fine for them.

Different storefronts have different goals and core branding concepts. GoG's is the least compatible with Epic's, Epic just doesn't see them as enough of a threat to focus on, in part because the (false) EGS narrative is that they're David trying to take down Goliath.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I´m pretty sure Epic talked to CDPR but only got CP2077 to be in their store without being off Steam. I dont think the game would be on EGS at all otherwise.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
The plague claims another victim. Never bought their games day one so not too bad I guess.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
I´m pretty sure Epic talked to CDPR but only got CP2077 to be in their store without being off Steam. I dont think the game would be on EGS at all otherwise.
Sure, companies need to talk to even set up basic distro but the entire duration of a no Steam release discussion could happen in the time it takes to make a cup of coffee for this case.

The dramatization of this as "conversations" is rhetorical framework though. My point is that framing this as CDPR doing the *right thing* and refusing that Epic money truck misses the point that they have directly opposing interests to Epic. They don't want EGS to succeed as they're a core competitor and a lot of the games EGS has been picking off for early access would have been ideal candidates for GoG (Hades and Bithell's Wick game to name two). Now maybe they'll still come to GoG but Epic is locking those games up as PC exclusive to EGS. CDPR isn't going to help EGS over Steam when EGS is the one most negatively impacting Steam right now.

I'd take CP2077 being on EGS as more a sign that everyone inside the industry sees the EGS 12.5% royalty as unsustainable for a real distro platform and that CDPR will gladly let Epic bleed red to be one of the many places CP2077 is available, effectively letting Epic subsidize every unit sold there, even before they do another $10 off sale out of their own pocket.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Sad to read, outside of Nier and Persona there aren't any games that would make me go EGS.

Thank goodness my main genre is way too niche to moneyhat.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope it is good and does well, kinda got the impression LiS2 has struggled a bit?
Don't know anything about sales but I would imagine that the incredibly long wait time between episodes and the lukewarm reception by parts of the fanbase haven't helped. My guess is that they'll wait till all episodes are out and then try to do another marketing push, probably put out a retail version, etc.

dlemarc

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, all of these EGS threads have been annoying. I find them to be for games I'm interested in, but they're filled with EGS complaints, who's not buying the game, what the next exclusive is, etc. If DONTNOD made a deal to own their IP, then good for them.