Old Magazine Coverage & Interviews!

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I had to dig deep but I found some Diehard GameFan coverage of DOOM 64 from 1996 and 1997.

lh1lV9u.jpg

FmwX5V6.jpg

gBEGaPe.jpg

Pj2gsnH.jpg

jIdcB7h.jpg

Edit:

Electronic Gaming Monthly's coverage

Y6Scczk.jpg

8AUlZ4k.jpg

St2fwbf.jpg

EDGE and Next Generation
daaTZSc.jpg

Wutnv8F.jpg

VUDvbFz.jpg

Ultra Game Players
AkEHPSg.jpg

GamePro

3QGmXZ1.jpg

rV4yaLK.jpg

Computer and VideoGames

K7W9WeI.jpg

BGO1JkI.jpg

dJmkgo6.jpg

uefpnvB.jpg

Nintendo Power
gztuXwZ.jpg

qbEhgG3.jpg

QTuqoLw.jpg

Q6Yh6Td.jpg

BhCKPaN.jpg

Last edited:

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Bought the game because my copy of Eternal is stuck somewhere until the end of quarantine here in France. If there's a code inside, I'll give it here.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Finished my run and I had a blast the whole way through. I had never heard much about Doom 64 before despite being a big fan of Doom, Quake, Heretic and just about any similar game out there, but this belongs up there among the best of the best.

Fabulous game and a fabulous PC version.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot how creepy this game can be. The lighting and atmosphere is some of the best in the series, IMO. Takes me back to when I first played it on N64 back in the day. It was intense then, it's still intense now.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I forgot how creepy this game can be. The lighting and atmosphere is some of the best in the series, IMO. Takes me back to when I first played it on N64 back in the day. It was intense then, it's still intense now.

Yeah I will say it's definitely interesting getting to experience THE moment the Doom franchise collided with the "true" 3D game world. I don't really like how small and cramped the levels feel compared to the old ones, but it definitely gives me a more modern "spoopy" feel than the old ones did. It would be cool if, with a magic genie wish, it was possible for people to make custom maps and campaigns for it with a level editor of some sort. Current day design sensibilities could take those assets and the engine pretty far.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I played all othe old DOOM games for the first time last year after loving 2016 and i
prefer 64 to the classic 2, maybe DOOM 3 too, that one has some cool gimmicks but its nowhere near as fun as 2016.

Eternal =2016>64>3>2>1

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Count me as one of those fools who thought Doom 64 was just the N64 port of Doom... After grabbing Doom 1-3 in the recent sale, and reigniting my love of Doom, this is great so far (through 10 levels). The level puzzles can be a bit obtuse, but the quick save/load helps.

The addition of achievements on Switch is a nice touch. After I get through this I might finally try that copy of DOOM PS4 I grabbed over a year ago... Though one aspect of Doom 1/2/64 I've quite enjoyed is the horizontal only shooting. That let's me focus on fun and not my terrible aim:)

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I too have always believed that Doom 64 was some kind of remixed version of Doom 1 & 2. They all looked the same visually to me as a kid. I think I like 64 the best out of the classic Dooms. The guns feel more meaty.

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
PS4? If so did you try restarting the game? Also what were you doing before hand? We've seen exactly one other report on this on PS4 and have less than zero leads, so any information at all would be... well something.
PS4 indeed, I assigned Quick Save to the Triangle button and would normally make a manual save of the beginning of the level and then autosave as I play along. Maybe used Quick Save too much?

Anyway, the issue was solved after restarting the game, weird.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
PS4 indeed, I assigned Quick Save to the Triangle button and would normally make a manual save of the beginning of the level and then autosave as I play along. Maybe used Quick Save too much?

Hmm. Did you put your PS4 to sleep at any point?

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I was having a good time until the final boss and now I think the game is bullshit. She's virtually impossible to beat without finding secret levels that are ridiculously easy to miss while playing the game normally. After thirty tries, I'm just going to accept I'll never finish this one. Left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I was having a good time until the final boss and now I think the game is bullshit. She's virtually impossible to beat without finding secret levels that are ridiculously easy to miss while playing the game normally. After thirty tries, I'm just going to accept I'll never finish this one. Left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

I killed her with the Super Shotgun back in the day roughly 20-23 years ago. She is not that hard to kill if you time your attacks and dodge her homing missiles

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

I had that issue too. I was trying to make a jump in a level and kept quickloading whenever I failed. After a fair few quickloads in a short period of time I lost all my saves etc. A restart fixed it just like it did with you.

Also in regards to the game itself, the atmosphere reminds me of the PSX version of Doom. The ambient soundtrack as well as a lot of the sound effects are the same.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I bought the game the other day on my Switch and gave it a quick spin. For 5 euros, I couldn't say no!

I'd never played the game before so I wasn't sure what to expect.. But it's Doom! But different. I'm liking it!

If I could offer just one suggestion... When playing in docked mode, the motion controls are either yaw or roll... and I don't use either. When you choose yaw, the USB-C port is like a laser, so it's like you're like holding a steering wheel that's flush with the ground and you're twisting the controller left and right. With roll, you have to tilt the controller left or right. However, when I use motion controls on a Pro Controller, I hold the controller as though I were holding the Switch in Handheld mode. This seems very natural to me since I'm used to holding my Switch in handheld mode most of the time and it's weird to have to re-think how I hold the controller when I play on the TV.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
So the Hectic level? Is that supposed to be fun? Haha, it's just bizarre. I got there on I Own Doom difficulty and it's just.. why? lol

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I had to dig deep but I found some Diehard GameFan coverage of DOOM 64 from 1996 and 1997.

lh1lV9u.jpg

FmwX5V6.jpg

gBEGaPe.jpg

Pj2gsnH.jpg

jIdcB7h.jpg
Oh sweet, threadmarked/highlighted!

Except canadian amazon apparently :(
Contact them!

If I could offer just one suggestion... When playing in docked mode, the motion controls are either yaw or roll... and I don't use either. When you choose yaw, the USB-C port is like a laser, so it's like you're like holding a steering wheel that's flush with the ground and you're twisting the controller left and right. With roll, you have to tilt the controller left or right. However, when I use motion controls on a Pro Controller, I hold the controller as though I were holding the Switch in Handheld mode. This seems very natural to me since I'm used to holding my Switch in handheld mode most of the time and it's weird to have to re-think how I hold the controller when I play on the TV.
wait what's the suggestion there exactly? :D

I think the intention is actually for you to use split joycon, since you can even switch which joycon tracks the motions. Basically like a mouse, you know? You could have it flat on a table and just move your arm as if using a computer mouse or have it hang loose and turn your wrist like when turning a key.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
wait what's the suggestion there exactly?

Sorry, it's perhaps a little difficult to explain in words, but I'll try again.

- In handheld mode, you're holding the machine up and near your face. When you want to use motion controls to aim, you're moving the console up and down and left and right, like an augmented reality app on your smartphone. This is how I play 90% of the time so my body is used to holding a controller in this manner. Here's a GIF showing what I mean:

3354966-1045352772-DOOM_.gif

- However as soon as I put it in docked mode with a Pro controller I have to completely rethink my way of using motion controls because when playing Doom64 I have to hold the controller flat with the usb port pointing at the tv. Here are the two options available in Doom64:

motion-controls.jpg

So, what do I want? See that first gif? Photoshop a pro controller instead of a Switch. Or like this pic below:

motion2.jpg

Last edited:

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Well, I just bought it on switch. $4.99 is a pretty good price compared to the nearly $90 I paid for this one on launch:

aClE461.jpg

WQLpZw7.jpg

SupraDarky

Oct 29, 2017

I was in the same situation yesterday, but actually you just have to save all BFG ammo for the boss which kills her very quickly, just run up close to her and shoot. The main challenge becomes killing the waves of monsters without it.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Level 15 on hardest difficulty, I find myself using the chainsaw a LOT because I run out of ammo and save scumming. I can't get past that damn room with the rockets, what do I do here?

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
So Amazon got back to me and said that they didn't send any codes out and that I need to contact Bethesda. Any truth to this?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Sorry, it's perhaps a little difficult to explain in words, but I'll try again.

- In handheld mode, you're holding the machine up and near your face. When you want to use motion controls to aim, you're moving the console up and down and left and right, like an augmented reality app on your smartphone. This is how I play 90% of the time so my body is used to holding a controller in this manner. Here's a GIF showing what I mean:

3354966-1045352772-DOOM_.gif

- However as soon as I put it in docked mode with a Pro controller I have to completely rethink my way of using motion controls because when playing Doom64 I have to hold the controller flat with the usb port pointing at the tv. Here are the two options available in Doom64:

nSzcujp.png

So, what do I want? See that first gif? Photoshop a pro controller instead of a Switch.
Wait, this is you again from the Turok thread? :D

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, this is you again from the Turok thread? :D

Haha, I think I know who you're talking about.. That person made that graphic I quoted. No it's not me. I think (s)he was wanting the roll to be reversed iirc... Which is actually an option in Doom64! I just want to move my Pro Controller as if I were moving the Switch console in handheld. That's it! :P

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Haha, I think I know who you're talking about.. That person made that graphic I quoted. No it's not me. I think (s)he was wanting the roll to be reversed iirc... Which is actually an option in Doom64! I just want to move my Pro Controller as if I were moving the Switch console in handheld. That's it! :P
Yea that's why I thought this was you, the graphic might be a bit confusing if that specific issue is not what you're referring to. Might want cut out stuff that doesn't apply.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Yea that's why I thought this was you, the graphic might be a bit confusing if that specific issue is not what you're referring to. Might want cut out stuff that doesn't apply.

yeah, I think you're right.

EDIT: Annnnnd, edited. I hope I make more sense... And that there are more than dozens of us!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
yeah, I think you're right.

EDIT: Annnnnd, edited. I hope I make more sense... And that there are more than dozens of us!
I'd really love to see someone actually hold and play with a normal controller like this using the motion assist, it seems extremely uncomfortable to hold and move with the buttons facing towards your chest. Unless you're playing sitting on a chair with armrests that support this position?

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I'd really love to see someone actually hold and play with a normal controller like this using the motion assist, it seems extremely uncomfortable to hold and move with the buttons facing towards your chest. Unless you're playing sitting on a chair with armrests that support this position?

In the name of science, I took my controller and sat down on the couch to simulate a gaming session....

Now I didn't take a photo of myself... because of the quarantine, I am in my PJs and my daughter's doll house has taken over our living room... But I found this picture online. I hold it kinda like the guy all the way on the left, sitting on the floor.

video_games_gizmodo_.jpg

(NOTE: I am unfortunately not as good-looking as him).

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Ya know as good as the graphics are in the new Doom games, there is just something so unnerving and appealing about the art style in the classics - especially in 64.

I'd love to get budget side games where they use sprites and this style of play. It holds up so well.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
In the name of science, I took my controller and sat down on the couch to simulate a gaming session....

Now I didn't take a photo of myself... because of the quarantine, I am in my PJs and my daughter's doll house has taken over our living room... But I found this picture online. I hold it kinda like the guy all the way on the left, sitting on the floor.

video_games_gizmodo_.jpg

(NOTE: I am unfortunately not as good-looking as him).
You're the person who play it like those people on TV do! :D

Here:
UksRorG.jpg

okita

Oct 25, 2017
Level 15 on hardest difficulty, I find myself using the chainsaw a LOT because I run out of ammo and save scumming. I can't get past that damn room with the rockets, what do I do here?

There are two entrances on your right and left from the starting room , go for the right side first, on your left there is a blue door. My tip is kill most of the enemies while inside the starting room and run fast to the place you want to go, it's not just the fire cannon balls they track you around too

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Just got my preorder code from amazon, is there any way to quick swap to certain weapons in this version?

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
When is berserk good? I only seem to get it when going up against enemies where it feels absolutely worthless, trying to use it gets me killed in an instant

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
When is berserk good? I only seem to get it when going up against enemies where it feels absolutely worthless, trying to use it gets me killed in an instant
Mainly useful for pinky demons and spectres, it can take them down in one punch and saves using the SSG against them

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Mainly useful for pinky demons and spectres, it can take them down in one punch and saves using the SSG against them
But the chainsaw is perfect against both of those? Seems like it's mostly useless then. Only enemy actually dangerous so far (level 17?) are several anachrotrons in close quarters. And getting stuck on doors/walls. 😆 And skulls that spawn on your butt 😂 And the fast runspeed combined with ledges + lava 🤣

Punishment for your sins.

If it's like Final Doom, they liked making punishing levels.

Haha, yeah, that seems to be it.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Yup, put it to rest a couple of times today when the issue happened.
I had that issue too. I was trying to make a jump in a level and kept quickloading whenever I failed. After a fair few quickloads in a short period of time I lost all my saves etc. A restart fixed it just like it did with you.

Also in regards to the game itself, the atmosphere reminds me of the PSX version of Doom. The ambient soundtrack as well as a lot of the sound effects are the same.
This is truly puzzling. I slammed the quick saving and quick loading over 50 times, I've even shunted the PS4 into rest mode while it was saving, probably the worst thing you could do, and it still hasn't failed. Is there some kind of error message or behaviour you get when the save system apparently failed or does it just stop doing anything meaningful?

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This is truly puzzling. I slammed the quick saving and quick loading over 50 times, I've even shunted the PS4 into rest mode while it was saving, probably the worst thing you could do, and it still hasn't failed. Is there some kind of error message or behaviour you get when the save system apparently failed or does it just stop doing anything meaningful?
Sorry, I can't really give you any more info as there was no visual indication as to when it started having issues. After doing what I'd mentioned before suddenly the quickload button (I'd assigned it to Right on the DPAD) just stopped doing anything. The quicksave button still said that it was saving though, but it actually wasn't.