jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For example Doom could benefit a lot from how the story in Metro or Wolfenstein is structured
tumblr_n3etwsiGby1smcbm7o1_250.gif

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
Was present at the reveal. Its a shame the online stream didn't keep mics on during. The crowd was going insane. Although I suppose that's why they turned them off.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not one to call anything such, but holy shit that presentation was metal as fuck.

Also I want that music right fucking now.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Amazing!! Minor complaint is it looks too much like previous one.
I guess if it ain't broke..1st one was a 10.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That was incredible..... Now that's how you show off your game, Other devs/publishers take note.

Can not wait to play this.

Wzrd

Oct 26, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Finally had time to watch the full video. Wow.

Just pulled the trigger on Doom 2016 so thats downloading now. Can't say I was too hyped by the first ones gameplay videos but Doom Eternal is doing it for me. Movement options look fun and gameplay looks like it will be fluid as fuck.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Well now it looks like I'm going to have to play doom again. This one looks amazing

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
More DOOM is a great thing, and this looks like where I'd want a satisfying sequel to go. I'm actually interested in the story continuing, ha -- it's some good-assed, sci-fi pulp with a neat self-aware take on Doom Guy.

Also, live conferences where people cheer at other people in video games shooting stuff up are weird.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Unable to watch the video at the moment - is it looking like we're gonna get actual level design this time around or just more gated arenas?

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Is that Big Gun sequence basically acknowledging that this is not just a Hell on Earth reboot, but also a Quake 2 reboot minus the Strogg?

germuso

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it´s weird but blood doesn`t stain on the surfaces like the previous one.

Last edited:

MasterVampire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who prefers the slower more realistic gameplay of doom 3 over this? New doom seems more arcade like

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Am I the only one who prefers the slower more realistic gameplay of doom 3 over this? New doom seems more arcade like

I miss the atmosphere from all previous Doom games.

Doom being constant action is one (admittedly big) part of what made the games special. Atmosphere and level design were the other parts. Doom 2016 lost a fair bit of that.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Holy shit does that look amazing. Moving around as fast as you can and the precision it looks like you might need will be a good challenge for me. Can't wait!

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
I miss the atmosphere from all previous Doom games.

Doom being constant action is one (admittedly big) part of what made the games special. Atmosphere and level design were the other parts. Doom 2016 lost a fair bit of that.

Right on, I was just about to make a post similar to this.

One thing I wished the 2016 DOOM and hopefully Eternal does better is making the atmosphere... a bit more scary.

I remember playing OG DOOM on release back in the day and was scared to round the corners or explore the darker areas of the map because I had no idea what traps and monsters would be there. Exploration was a key aspect in the franchise and I felt that lost a bit of its luster in the 2016 release.

The arena combat style rooms in 2016 DOOM while action packed, lacked any element of surprise.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Right on, I was just about to make a post similar to this.

One thing I wished the 2016 DOOM and hopefully Eternal does better is making the atmosphere... a bit more scary.

I remember playing OG DOOM on release back in the day and was scared to round the corners or explore the darker areas of the map because I had no idea what traps and monsters would be there. Exploration was a key aspect in the franchise and I felt that lost a bit of its luster in the 2016 release.

The arena combat style rooms in 2016 DOOM while action packed, lacked any element of surprise.

Doom 64 was the best at scary atmosphere, especially in regards to the soundtrack. It was my number 1 up until Doom 2016. Also I honestly believe that Doom 2016 did things the Devil May Cry way because of console limitations. If you ever created a map on snapmap you'd instantly see this because the game had a monster spawn limit per level. So if you wanted a map to consist of more than 16 monsters you would have to despawn them if the player decided to leave a room not killing every monster, or else you'd end up in a situation where all of the monsters you planned to spawn in the next rooms would never spawn because the current monsters are taking up memory, thus killing your entire level and making it super easy. I made one decent map and quit after that because I got so frustrated in having to do triple the work because of this.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Console footage

PC footage

There's so much unbelievably cool shit here, but I think my favorite might just be Doomguy dragging that guy with the keycard, scanning it, then walking into the next room and taking the stunned guard's gun from him. The same really good non-verbal storytelling that simply and clearly establishes just how much of a renowned badass Doomguy is. And it's hysterical.

Also, the music across the board is way better than the first. The buildup to the arch-vile confrontation puts the biggest grin on my face.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

doom 3 is pretty underrated imo but it's more or less a modern FPS with DOOM trimmings. i think the series' identity belongs best in the "run and shoot shit" category. would love a real sequel to doom 3 but it's really not what the first two games were about

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I remember playing OG DOOM on release back in the day and was scared to round the corners or explore the darker areas of the map because I had no idea what traps and monsters would be there.

Same.

Over time I got more and more acquainted with the game and could run and gun more, but even then I was always in awe of what felt like immense, otherworldly scale - both in terms of environments and the enemies themselves. The original games walked a perfect tightrope of making the player feel both empowered and powerless. Dread and excitement all mixed together.

Doom 2016 is a very good game but it's also probably my least favorite in the entire series.

rocketpunch

Dec 19, 2017
Looks perfect. Can't wait to get my hands on this! Hoping they have competitive MP too (outside of the campaign invasions). I enjoyed the first game's multiplayer a lot.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if already confirmed, but this doom guy is the same marine from doom 64? That badass marine who choise to stay in hell? If so, man thats so cool.

Nov 8, 2017
I don't know if already confirmed, but this doom guy is the same marine from doom 64? That badass marine who choise to stay in hell? If so, man thats so cool.

Yes and no. The approach to canon in these games is similar to Wolfenstein TNO, or comic books. In many cases things in the past "happened" but the exact details can't be relied on to be exactly the same as the original source material. Probably better to think of the previous games as mythic predecessors rather than literal ones.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Yes and no. The approach to canon in these games is similar to Wolfenstein TNO, or comic books. In many cases things in the past "happened" but the exact details can't be relied on to be exactly the same as the original source material. Probably better to think of the previous games as mythic predecessors rather than literal ones.

There was a lore scroll on hell in Doom 2016 that confirmed every past game besides Doom 3 is canon. I think it even specifically mentions the end of Doom 64 where a building collapses on Doomguy, after that happened the demons entombed him.

In fact Doom 3 might actually be canon, not sure.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I asked that because he used that '???' gun from Doom 64, but still a amazing touch. That Doom 64 epilogue is superb. Hope they confirm that.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This does look like a lot of fun, the invasions could be a blast. Going to give 2016 another play in celebration of this.