Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Started a new slot on Nightmare. There's such a huge difference between having Dash and not having it. Good grief. Not to mention the belcher and frost nades. Made it to the second level with a couple deaths. I wonder if I'm masochistic enough to attempt the Gate there with barely any tools.
Probably not.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I guess this better later on but when I run out of ammo in a big mob and there's a turret spider demon amid of it shooting me, it automatically switches to chainsaw and when it's out of fuel, you just have to accept you're gonna die.

Feels like the chainsaw shouldn't work on fuel but on a cooldown timer of sorts.

Oct 27, 2017
For all people having trouble with the Marauders: Don't forget to use the flamethrower.

I guess this better later on but when I run out of ammo in a big mob and there's a turret spider demon amid of it shooting me, it automatically switches to chainsaw and when it's out of fuel, you just have to accept you're gonna die.

Feels like the chainsaw shouldn't work on fuel but on a cooldown timer of sorts.

The chainsaw only works against big enemies if you have 3 fuel units. It's supposed to be used against fodder primarily and you have to strategically pick up the fuel beforehand if you want to use it against a big one. And the smaller ones always respawn as long as a big enemy is alive so there should never be any problem with ammo.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017

Chainsaw is actually on a cooldown for 1 charge I believe. So it will always come back so you can get ammo from imps and zombies.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've came to the conclusion that being pin point accurate in Doom on console is simply gonna be tough. Thank god its a shooting gallery with damn near unlimited ammo.

Is there aim assist on the console?

I'm playing on the PC but it seems to be non existent.

Doom 2016 felt a lot more natural in my hands as far as aiming, dodging and shooting went.

There's aim assist on console, yes. I didn't think it was present online but the options specifically say, "For Slayer and Marauder characters" so yes aim assist is present in some degree.

I mapped jump to LB.
Radial wheel to RB.
Dash to left thumb stick (treated it as a sprint button).
Grenades to right thumb stick.
Grenade switch to B (much better than pressing on a dpad to switch).
X is still chainsaw.
Y is still belch.
A is still glory.

I feel that Belch and Grenade could be swapped on the stick depending your playstyle. I use a lot of nades while midair so putting on my right stick felt obvious.

I barely melee so A was not a big deal.
And chainsaws reach like 3 feet away from people, you don't really have to aim at all and it still pulls you towards it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Chainsaw is actually on a cooldown for 1 charge I believe. So it will always come back so you can get ammo from imps and zombies.

Oh weird, seemed like the moment I needed it it was empty and I was clicking in vain.

The chainsaw only works against big enemies if you have 3 fuel units. It's supposed to be used against fodder primarily and you have to strategically pick up the fuel beforehand if you want to use it against a big one. And the smaller ones always respawn as long as a big enemy is alive so there should never be any problem with ammo.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, this would explain it actually, I didn't really look close at the UI, just that it was empty, didn't work on turret demon. I was out of bullets and wanted to finish the mob by chaining the turret demon hehe.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I've finished the first two levels but I haven't seen any slayer gates. What do they look like?

Also, if you need to lose weight, playing this and Nioh 2 concurrently is a great way to shed pounds. I bit my controller so hard playing Nioh, I thought I chipped a tooth. And this motherfucker? Instant, sweaty weight loss.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying this game but I'm finding that the controls are pretty poor, on the whole on PS4.

I really feel that games like Apex Legends, Halo and Call of Duty hit the nail on the head with how console FPS should feel when you're moving the camera around, and when confronted with something like Doom, which has quite a atypical response curve and a lack of good customisation options, it's hard to settle get it feeling just right.

I'm sure some folks will not feel it, because it's always very subjective. But at the very least you would hope that a game with such a strong legacy as an FPS on both consoles and PC, would pay more attention to how it feels to control the camera in first person. Simply put, Doom and Doom Eternal should have shipped with a much more robust set of options for players to adjust how the sticks feel.

Literally just arrived to complain about the controls. Maybe you're experiencing the same issues I am.

It's fine, since it's predominantly a single player game for me, but I'd love it a lot more if it felt more responsive.

Doom Eternal has flaws but bad controls are certainly not one of them. It does not have ADS, the brilliant slides of Apex or sprinting, but you are very fast, very snappy, and with the continous dashes (throw in the air control rune for good measure) you actually hop around like a slightly more grounded version of Quake 3: Arena, which is one of the pinnacles of controls in FPS games. I know you're more about the "feeling", but that can be adjusted fairly much between all kinds of sensitivity, aim acceleration, autoaim and such options, including motion blur and other visual "aids". Few games allow for this level of customization on console, and even fewer are this polished in terms of core gameplay.

I can understand it's not for everybody, but "the controls are pretty poor", while subjective, certainly comes off kinda odd. Like, I'm sure there's people out there who find Super Mario Bros. 3's controls unintuitive, Forza Horizon 4's handling clunky or the original Quake's movement unprecise, but like Doom Eternal they're some of the best installments of their respective concepts, and it's hard to understand how someone can not "feel them", as Doom 2016 and Eternal felt natural to me after seconds.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I've finished the first two levels but I haven't seen any slayer gates. What do they look like?

You should've seen the first one in the second level. They look something like this. Need to find a key that's somewhat hidden in the vicinity.
XNByGyt.jpg

Oh weird, seemed like the moment I needed it it was empty and I was clicking in vain.

It takes some time to recharge, so you can run empty occasionally. You can hear a canister slushing when it recharges.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Playing on Hurt Me Plenty and the Marauder has been the first "skill check" moment for me (not that the games been a cakewalk up till now, but its where i first got consistently stomped on). Granted part of that was it took me a stupidly long time to realize you can just shoot the wolf and arent meant to be constantly dodging it lmao. Will probably finish the game on HMP and do an UltraViolence playthru afterwards

REALLY enjoying the game so far and was digging it right from the jump. The increase in intensity reminds me of the jump from Hotline Miami 1 to Hotline Miami 2. Everything is cranked up to 11 and I love it.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Done. had to lower to easy for the last three levels. When the game starts to throw at you an Archville and a Marauder back to back, I couldn't handle it.
The game CRAZY.

I mean, they went batshit insane with everything. Level design, art direction, gameplay mechanics... everything is perfectly supported by a perfect sound design and music... Its so satisfying to interact with this world every thump, boom, slam feels so good.

The ending is so botched lol but I loved the story and implications and the lore all along. I'm not sold on Marauder fights... It felt a bit... weird to just bait and counter. Often it felt random.

But what a ride.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I understand it's subjective, but I would really like it if you gave some more detail on what you mean. I'm interested in this.

It's quite difficult to understand what feels awkward with the controls without being able to see how the game processes inputs from the controller, and even then I'm no expert on the control programming end of things. But it feels as though game is processing inputs in a way that makes it feel minimally responsive to small movements. So the game feels quite cumbersome for me to control as it rather suddenly shifts from smooth and fast aiming.

This is particularly problematic because unlike other console shooters with 'aim down sights' mechanics which serve as a sensitivity modifier, Doom only features hip fire for most weapons. So that means that the camera control has to be absolutely perfect, because players can't slow things down on the fly.

As for what might be causing it, I suggested the response curve because it can affect how it feels to move the camera around, and how the camera accelerates up to its maximum speed. To the best of my understanding a response curve in more detail where the acceleration starts and ends (the acceleration itself is defined by your acceleration speed, and maximum sensitivity, which are different variables). In Apex Legends you can actually adjust the response curve with a slider, same for Titanfall 2, and there's a similar setting in Overwatch, but there's nothing like that in Doom. So beyond sensitivity, how the game processes the analog inputs is outside of the players control.

It's subjective as to whether Doom is processing inputs in a 'good' way, but as a player I can say I don't like how it feels. Additionally, it's processing the players inputs in a way that makes it feel quite different to other games. I guess the point is that gamefeel is complex and giving the player the ability to get the game into a position where it feels comfortable and familiar would be very much welcomed. As it is, there's no chance I'd stick around with Doom Eternal beyond a single playthrough, it's just not a joy to play for me in the way that games like Titanfall 2 are.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's quite difficult to understand what feels awkward with the controls without being able to see how the game processes inputs from the controller, and even then I'm no expert on the control programming end of things. But it feels as though game is processing inputs in a way that makes it feel minimally responsive to small movements. So the game feels quite cumbersome for me to control as it rather suddenly shifts from smooth and fast aiming.

This is particularly problematic because unlike other console shooters with 'aim down sights' mechanics which serve as a sensitivity modifier, Doom only features hip fire for most weapons. So that means that the camera control has to be absolutely perfect, because players can't slow things down on the fly.

As for what might be causing it, I suggested the response curve because it can affect how it feels to move the camera around, and how the camera accelerates up to its maximum speed. To the best of my understanding a response curve in more detail where the acceleration starts and ends (the acceleration itself is defined by your acceleration speed, and maximum sensitivity, which are different variables). In Apex Legends you can actually adjust the response curve with a slider, same for Titanfall 2, and there's a similar setting in Overwatch, but there's nothing like that in Doom. So beyond sensitivity, how the game processes the analog inputs is outside of the players control.

It's subjective as to whether Doom is processing inputs in a 'good' way, but as a player I can say I don't like how it feels. Additionally, it's processing the players inputs in a way that makes it feel quite different to other games. I guess the point is that gamefeel is complex and giving the player the ability to get the game into a position where it feels comfortable and familiar would be very much welcomed. As it is, there's no chance I'd stick around with Doom Eternal beyond a single playthrough, it's just not a joy to play for me in the way that games like Titanfall 2 are.

Did you mess with aim smoothing? Pretty sure that's the acceleration setting.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's too bad. I played Doom 2016 on a controller just fine. I guess I might knock it down a peg, cuz I ain't feeling all that badass or powerful. I'm also running out of ammo all the time.
It's so odd why Eternal doesn't feel too hot with a pad. I felt Doom 2016 was the best FPS you could play with a controller.

Playing the game with a controller on the PC is quite challenging, and I'm only playing via the Hurt Me Plenty difficulty.

I find it difficult to target enemy weak points.

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone describe the major differences between Nightmare and Ultraviolent difficulty from a moment-to-moment standpoint who has experience with both? Wondering if I should knock the difficulty up (if that's even an option).

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the first boss(playing Ultra-Violence). The boss itself was ok, but the thing that killed me the most were the spawning enemies. Annoying arena too as you are trying to melt shields but there are so many walls and small platforms that make line of sight really difficult to maintain so your targets just can easily break away and recharge. Bleh.

I beat it after a dozen tries or so, but it didn't feel like I overcame anything exciting, I just made sure to sweep as many mobs clear as possible so I can give proper chase. Tedious, but also stupid easy to end up dead in a flash(as usual) because you get hung up on something while dashing or don't realize three things are behind you while tracking the boss. You go from full hp and armor to dead just stupid quick and it makes the dance feel rather limp.

I will say my feelings have improved on the game somewhat since getting the Super Shotgun. Still don't love this game, but there is fun in meathooking enemies while acrobating about these arenas. For the first time it started to feel like -I- was bringing the fight to the demon horde and not playing defensive. Onto level 5.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just here to say after 2 missions this is already my game of the year and its going to be VERY hard to beat it. Combat is just so sublime and deep. Theres so much to keep track of and remember but in the best way.

romey

Mar 2, 2020
Anyone else feel as if the graphics were much better in DOOM 2016? I'm on a 1070, but I was expecting a huge graphic upgrade with this one. It's still a pretty game to look at, but I guess my expectations were too high.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone describe the major differences between Nightmare and Ultraviolent difficulty from a moment-to-moment standpoint who has experience with both? Wondering if I should knock the difficulty up (if that's even an option).

Stuff hits harder so you have less room for mistakes and risks.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Doom Eternal has flaws but bad controls are certainly not one of them. It does not have ADS, the brilliant slides of Apex or sprinting, but you are very fast, very snappy, and with the continous dashes (throw in the air control rune for good measure) you actually hop around like a slightly more grounded version of Quake 3: Arena, which is one of the pinnacles of controls in FPS games. I know you're more about the "feeling", but that can be adjusted fairly much between all kinds of sensitivity, aim acceleration, autoaim and such options, including motion blur and other visual "aids". Few games allow for this level of customization on console, and even fewer are this polished in terms of core gameplay.

I can understand it's not for everybody, but "the controls are pretty poor", while subjective, certainly comes off kinda odd. Like, I'm sure there's people out there who find Super Mario Bros. 3's controls unintuitive, Forza Horizon 4's handling clunky or the original Quake's movement unprecise, but like Doom Eternal they're some of the best installments of their respective concepts, and it's hard to understand how someone can not "feel them", as Doom 2016 and Eternal felt natural to me after seconds.

I don't think it's that odd really though, particularly because it's how I feel relative to the other games that I play.

As far as having a good set of options, I really disagree. Doom doesn't even have a setting for aim acceleration. It has an option for 'look smoothing' which honestly, is some sort of mystery setting which affects how the inputs are processed in a way that isn't described to the player (though I find it does feel better with look smoothing off).

These are the options in Apex Legends (also in Titanfall 2)

jnr7qkzpn4r21.jpg

These are the options in Battlefield V

original

Overwatch

f0faad56a3ddd9d4067ff824504b7ea8.jpg

For perhaps the last 5 years console games have been moving to provide players with more control over their experiences. Games like Battlefield and Apex even offer field of view sliders. I think Doom should be offering similar.

Oct 27, 2017
If someone ever makes an interview with id they have to ask if Metroid Prime was one of their inspirations. So many things are far too similiar to merely be a coincidence.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
fuck this game is so fucking fun to play, it's gorgeous, and the music is incredible.
i get so excited when games are just GAMES you know? instead of trying to be so much more. just be fun.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the developers decided less player choice in combat is better \o/

This is a ridiculous complaint. You have so many options
Just finished the first boss(playing Ultra-Violence). The boss itself was ok, but the thing that killed me the most were the spawning enemies. Annoying arena too as you are trying to melt shields but there are so many walls and small platforms that make line of sight really difficult to maintain so your targets just can easily break away and recharge. Bleh.

I beat it after a dozen tries or so, but it didn't feel like I overcame anything exciting, I just made sure to sweep as many mobs clear as possible so I can give proper chase. Tedious, but also stupid easy to end up dead in a flash(as usual) because you get hung up on something while dashing or don't realize three things are behind you while tracking the boss. You go from full hp and armor to dead just stupid quick and it makes the dance feel rather limp.

I will say my feelings have improved on the game somewhat since getting the Super Shotgun. Still don't love this game, but there is fun in meathooking enemies while acrobating about these arenas. For the first time it started to feel like -I- was bringing the fight to the demon horde and not playing defensive. Onto level 5.

I think this is so antithetical to the game design and it sounds like you fundamentally don't understand it. The additional enemies are there so you can recharge health and armor, and the line of sight breaks are for your sake, not the enemy's.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Minor complaint, but I feel like they've done some of the demons dirty in the two newest Doom games. The Pinky in general was WAY creepier in Doom 3 for example, compared to the almost cute ones in Eternal.

tumblr_oxfivywO3m1r7sijxo1_400.gif

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Did you mess with aim smoothing? Pretty sure that's the acceleration setting.

I did, it does feel better with it off or toned down. I think your right, it's definitely acceleration or close to it.

I find these settings are working best for me (maybe this helps someone else)

40 x sensitivity
40 y sensitivity (I think that because it's a shooter where your aiming vertically very frequently, it doesn't make too much sense to have a different y sensitivity).

50 look smoothing (I think given that it's a shooter without ads, some aim acceleration can help with making fine adjustments, but the default is far too high and makes the controls feel very stiff).

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
Man, I find how this game handles ammo annoying. I get the whole chainsawing to get more, but I just can't stand having to constantly look for fodder mobs just for that. I'd rather focus and enjoy the fights than to constantly scrounge for ammo mid-fight.

I think my enjoyment would go up a lot if ammo wasn't so bloody limited.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Minor complaint, but I feel like they've done some of the demons dirty in the two newest Doom games. The Pinky in general was WAY creepier in Doom 3 for example, compared to the almost cute ones in Eternal.

tumblr_oxfivywO3m1r7sijxo1_400.gif

I felt the exact opposite in doom 3. pinkies in 3 have almost no resemblance to pinkies in doom/2

Man, I find how this game handles ammo annoying. I get the whole chainsawing to get more, but I just can't stand having to constantly look for fodder mobs just for that. I'd rather focus and enjoy the fights than to constantly scrounge for ammo mid-fight.

I think my enjoyment would go up a lot if ammo wasn't so bloody limited.

after doing a master level let me recommend. don't wait. just always chainsaw a fodder in intervals. never let yourself run out first. makes the whole experience smoother.

Rook

Oct 30, 2017
Finished the game about an hour ago. It impressed me hugely, and it wasn't at all what I expected. Here are some thoughts:

1. Marauders are _hard_, but it's a very cool archetype. I simultaneously love and hate that there's an enemy type that cannot be cheesed.
2. The game took a while to grow on me. I didn't love it at first, took me until 1/3 or even 1/2 into the game to be comfortable with the flow of combat. But then I loved it. And right around that time, they introduced the marauders to put me off balance again 😂
3. I will be going back to find all of the codex entries, secrets, etc, that I missed the first time. In later levels I used fast-travel to clean up before ending the level. I wish I had done this throughout, because I'd rather not fight any marauders again.

Final thought is spoiler-tagged below:

I wish there was more plot exposition, especially with Samuel Hayden, whose intentions have always felt sinister and unclear since his introduction in the previous game. Do you think they'll leave us hanging until a third game, or will there be a chance to wrap it up in the DLC?

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Why is the lighting in the Eternal viewer worse than it was in D2016? Makes the models look worse because of that

Forget the lighting. WHY did they change the colours on barons? for a game that is trying even harder than 2016 to be referential, changing the classic colour scheme to grey is insane.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone know if UK works for the EMEA region locked cdkeys code for PC game?

I mean UK is still part of Europe right if (kinda) out of the EU...